Michigan-Detroit
Options

Need help finding a garden-style reception venue

I know I've asked this before, but I've been looking for a reception venue for a couple months now without success and I'm getting kind of desperate!  My first choice is to have the reception in, or within a 30 min drive of, Ann Arbor.  But I'm no longer committed to this, so if you know of great venues elsewhere (I'm talking anywhere in the state of Michigan) please share!My problem is that I really had my heart set on an outdoorsy, garden party style reception, and these venues are apparently hard to come by.  I was thinking outside under a tent, but I would settle for a nice room with lots of big windows and a pretty view.My top choices right now are Waldenwoods in Hartland and the Ann Arbor City Club (which were recommended to me here!), but neither one is exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm searching for more options before I make my decision.As always, thanks for your help!!!

Re: Need help finding a garden-style reception venue

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Matthei Botanical Gardens and Cobblestone Farms (both in Ann Arbor, I believe) popped into my head right away.  I don't really know too much about either, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try the Cranbrook House and Gardens in Bloomfield Hills, MI.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't believe I didn't think of this one last night when we were emailing...what about the Rose Garden in Frankenmuth?  Or, of course, Dow Gardens?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Or Henry Ford Estate.  I bet it would be breathtaking!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    elkayelkay member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're right, garden party venues are very hard to find! I didn't think we would ever find one as neither Matthaei Gardens nor Ann Arbor City Club were available for any date that worked. I think the problem with gardens is that none of the public ones want to deal with alcohol licenses and be open late at night, and private ones are hard to find. So while you can find outdoor ceremony places, outdoor reception places are rare. We ended up in Tipton at Hidden Lake Gardens (MSU's arboretum) and it was beautiful. Still only a big room with a window-wall, but the view was stunning and unmatchable. The past problem with Matthaei is that alcohol wasn't allowed. HOWEVER, they were working on changing that, so it would be worth asking them. Ann Arbor City Club used to permit a tent on the lawn, do they not now? Check on: - Sharon Mills Park west of Chelsea - Perhaps Maybury Park in Northville - Garden Park of Holly, a private garden, although they are reputed to be pricey.  - Vitosha Guest Haus in Ann Arbor (down the street from City Club) - Wheatfield Inn in Williamston There is a historic farm in Livonia that several knotties have used. I think it's called Greenmead? Someone else here will know. GL!
  • Options
    elkayelkay member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another one is Ella Sharp Park in Jackson. Big room w/window-wall, but you can use their kitchen OR bring your own caterer and alcohol.
  • Options
    TruchanaTruchana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just had my wedding at the Montague Inn in Saginaw, MI.  Saginaw's not really a jumping place to be, but it was pretty!  WE had it under a tent.  It's an old bed and breakfast.  the place has 17 rooms to stay and has a courtyard where you can have your wedding if you wanted it outdoors.  Our weddingt was supposed to be english countryside/shabby chic feel. www.montagueinn.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could also try the Grosse Pointe War Memorial.  We are getting married outside, cocktail hour in the garden, and then our reception is in the ballroom that has all glass windows looking out onto Lake St. Clair. It's pretty amazing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards