Michigan-Detroit
Options

Bridemaid Dresses Poll (kinda long)

My sister (MOH) and I are going to shop for bridesmaids dresses soon and I've looked online but its difficult to tell what those dresses will look like on real people as opposed to size 0 models. There will be four ladies all with different body shapes and styles and I am fashion challenged. So, without anymore delay, here's my poll:1. Did you find it difficult to get one style that looked good on several body types (for example, tall and thin, average, short and heavy set)2. Would you/Did you have the ladies get different dresses to account for their individual taste/body shape?3. Is there a particular style/cut/length that looks good on all people?4. Is long or short better for the vertically challenged?5. Finally, most of my girls are heavy in the chest, is there a style that I should avoid or look to for support?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Bridemaid Dresses Poll (kinda long)

• Options
    shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. Did you find it difficult to get one style that looked good on several body types (for example, tall and thin, average, short and heavy set)I definitely set out with styles in mind that would flatter all my girls' body types, and I don't think it was that difficult to find them, but that was just me!  It could be that beceause I am larger, I tend to know what flatters difficult body types, so it came to me easier...  Make sure you take material into consideration too (some materials are not flattering at all as they show every imperfection).2. Would you/Did you have the ladies get different dresses to account for their individual taste/body shape? No - I am a little anal and wanted them all in the same gown, so I found one that flattered all of them.  :)3. Is there a particular style/cut/length that looks good on all people?An A-line dress looks great on almost anyone (I think it's Bill Levkoff's style 966 or something similar that looks great on EVERYONE - that may help to give you some ideas).  My girls' dresses had a drop waist dress with an A-line skirt, and I think it looked great on all of them - the design on the top of the dress gave everyone a waist, and I think they really appreciated it!4. Is long or short better for the vertically challenged?Hmm...I am not sure.  I had a lot of "vertically challenged" girls, and I went long, but I think that as long as you choose a good short-length (i.e. not tea length), it can also work for everyone!5. Finally, most of my girls are heavy in the chest, is there a style that I should avoid or look to for support?If you go strapless, make sure it is a high-rise, so you don't have anyone popping out.  You might want to steer toward something that has straps or a halter or something that is not strapless so you don't have too much cleavage stealing the show at your wedding.  ;)HTH!
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• Options
    alarthamealarthame member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. Did you find it difficult to get one style that looked good on several body types (for example, tall and thin, average, short and heavy set): It was a little difficult but in the end they found something. 2. Would you/Did you have the ladies get different dresses to account for their individual taste/body shape?: I was almost at that point cause they all liked different dresses more until they tried on the last one, which worked perfectly. 3. Is there a particular style/cut/length that looks good on all people? Rousched (sp?) waistlines helped a lot. I had 5 girls, sizes 2, 8, 8, 10 & 20. 4. Is long or short better for the vertically challenged? I liked the short dresses cause most of my girls were vertically challenged & I wanted them to be able to wear it again. 5. Finally, most of my girls are heavy in the chest, is there a style that I should avoid or look to for support? You know, I didn't account for this, but I had 3 girls who were chest heavy and 2 who were not at all. I would stay away from any deep v dresses. Here's what I did that made it much easier for me (if you want I can send you my spreadsheet on this): I picked the colors I liked and tasked each girl with going to the David's Bridal website and picking out their 2 favorite dresses (some picked three which was fine). Then I made a list of all the dresses (some picked the same ones, which was good) and rating system for how each liked it. We all got together one day and went to the store and all the girls tried on all the dresses they picked and gave them a rating of 1(hate it!)-5(love it!). This worked out really well and in the end we found one that looked great on everyone.
    ~*~ Shauna & Patrick ~*~ 9/5/09 ~*~
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    TruchanaTruchana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  Not really.  I only had 3 bridesmaids and I wasn't all that picky. 2.  I actually wanted them to have different ones.  I hate typical bridesmaid dresses, the satin with a belt, etc... and wanted them to pick out their own pretty dress from the mall.  I tried giving them a color choice.  they were all a little worried though about picking out the wrong shade or one I didn't like.  I settled on a long black dress from White House Black Market.3.   I think long dresses look good on most people, but no, I don't think there is one cut that looks good on everybody.4.  I don't think it matters. 5.  I would also avoid anything too strapless or too low cut.  You don't want the entire wedding to be looking at your bridesmaids chests and not you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. Did you find it difficult to get one style that looked good on several body types (for example, tall and thin, average, short and heavy set) yes, if you have different body types, I would recommend picking a color and letting girls choose a style that looks best on them.2. Would you/Did you have the ladies get different dresses to account for their individual taste/body shape? No, fortunately my girls are all about the same size and liked the same dress. However, I think it's nice to accomodate for different body sizes and styles if this is any issue.3. Is there a particular style/cut/length that looks good on all people? I know that floor length dresses hide a lot more flaws...I know that a lot of people don't like strapless for comfort reasons, but I'm not sure what looks the best.4. Is long or short better for the vertically challenged?I think short.5. Finally, most of my girls are heavy in the chest, is there a style that I should avoid or look to for support?Not sure, sorry!Good luck shopping!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the input ladies. I'm finding the concept of picking out clothes for other people very uncomfortable. I basically don't care what they wear as long as they are comfortable and happy. I love the idea of making them pick dresses from the website and ranking them. Thanks again!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    rootmel1rootmel1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never tried to pick out one dress for all of my girls.  I actually really like the look of all of them in a different dress (I haven't even seen 2 of my BM's dresses!).  I just told them I wanted the dresses black, long, and charmeuse and whatever they picked was fine with me!     
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know this is late but anyway: 1. Did you find it difficult to get one style that looked good on several body types (for example, tall and thin, average, short and heavy set) see questoin #2 2. Would you/Did you have the ladies get different dresses to account for their individual taste/body shape? Since my wedding is black and white, I told the girls to go get whatever little black dress they would feel awesome in. So no matter their size and shape, they got to have whatever. My only stipulations were black and not long. 3. Is there a particular style/cut/length that looks good on all people? My 3 bridesmaids are sizes 2, 12, and 24. And are all built differently. The 2 looks good in anything, so she doesn't count lol. But the same dress won't work for us. 4. Is long or short better for the vertically challenged? I think it depends on if your short and skinny or short and ummm not skinny. lol 5. Finally, most of my girls are heavy in the chest, is there a style that I should avoid or look to for support? Being stacked myself, I'd say strapless is very uncomfortable for me. Anything with some sort of strap, especially if you can wear a non-strapless bra (a 5 way is fine for halters, etc.) makes life easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards