Michigan-Detroit
Options

NWR:Gala advice

One of my clients asked if FI and I wanted to go to a Charity Event for the Ronald McDonald House which is her non-profit organization that she help put together.It is a Black Tie Event and we are taking a party bus,and she said the tickets and party bus are paid for.I am so excited.Now for my questions 1. What should we excpect to happen at the event,for those of you who have maybe been to one before.She said the only money we will need is for the auctions.About how much money should we plan to bring? 2. Also I would like to do something for her and her husband for being so generous.Any ideas?TIA

Re: NWR:Gala advice

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a Charity event like that, but I have been to several hospital galas. Sometimes they have silent auctions to help raise money for whatever the proceeds from the gala go towards. Did she give you an idea of what types of things will be auctioned? Will it be a silent auction? Those are pretty standard. Items can have a pretty big range. If you can swing a couple hundred bucks, that should be good. As for your second question, donate to her charity or bid on auction items. I'm sure that will mean the most to them.
  • Options
    jodyk23jodyk23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Auctions can get pretty pricy, but they usually have items of all price ranges. I want to say the high end is $1,000 and the low end $20. I usually put the items on my credit card for the rewards points, plus it is tax deductible. You definately want to have some cash though. Sometimes there is a 50/50 drawing and you'll need to tip the bartender. I would think that if you bought something at the auction, that would be thanks enough.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree on the auction item as a gift for them. My sorority has an EGPAF silent auction every year that's also a formal event.  People donate restaurant gift cards, sporting event tickets, autographed plaques and framed pictures of athletes, concert tickets, gift baskets with all kinds of stuff from food to tea to photo albums/disposable cameras.  You name it, they have it.  When I had my season tickets for the red wings I donated a hockey game and they paired them with $20 gift card for Hard Rock.  Teh whole thing went for $80 which is actually less than my ticket value (I had 2 $44 seats so they got $8 off plus a meal).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is a very awesome party..."Aviators Gala" that Ford has every year! The auction items range from dinners to cars and EVERYTHING in between! They are both live and silent. You are not obligate to purchase anything at the auction, so just have fun and see what you might like and what would be within your personal budget...silent auction can be be very surprising! If your friend is an organizer/chairperson, likely the tickets were free for her(?) Just go and enjoy yourself with your friends...if you can participate in the auction, great! If not, a great night out with firends in the middle of wedding planning = PRICELESS! Have an awesome time!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not sure what her place is in this whole thiong but she is a business owner of some of the McDonalds in the area. This probably sounds dumb but I know nothing, what is the difference between the auctions.Silent is just a booth and you put your mpney and name in and they notify you later if you won.I have never done any type of auction so I have no clue.I just want to be prepared. Thaks guys.Now I really wish I was going to the G2G tonight but just not enough time in the day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Usually for silent auctions, they'll have all the items displayed. I've seen some silent auctions where they will list the minimum bid. Usually there is a sheet next to the item for names & bid amounts. They usually have a specific time that they will close the silent auction and have people come to get their items. The last event I went to, they listed the winners and their items on a board & guests picked them up.  The other auction is usually for bigger ticket items like vacation getaways, golf outings, etc where they bid just like regular auction. I don't think too many events do this because it takes up a lot of time and it's boring for those who don't participate.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're welcome! I just noticed I seriously overused the word "usually" in my last post. lol Have a great time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards