Michigan-Detroit
Options

Tent Reception Places?

Hello ladies!I am planning my wedding for Fall of 2011. I really want a unique wedding, something other than a "banquet hall" reception. My dream is to do an outdoor tented reception for around 220 guests on the water somewhere, but am having a hard time finding a location locally to do this. Somewhere up north or on the west side of the state would be great but unfortunately our ceremony has to be at our church in Hamtramck. So I'm trying to find somewhere moderately close like within an hour or so drive approx so we dont have to split up the days for the wedding ceremony and reception. So do any of you Michigan brides have any "local" places I can look into? All I am finding is pretty pricey places like Meadowbrook or very public places like parks. Anyone know of any golf courses or private places on the water or with a nice view that will allow tented weddings? Any ideas will help :) Thanks!
Photobucket

Re: Tent Reception Places?

• Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out Crank's by the Lake? I don't have any experience with them personally but I've seen it mentioned on here before. Might be worth looking into.[url]http://tinyurl.com/3des8o[/url]  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am looking for the same thing and I feel your pain -- affordable outdoors places are not easy to find!  I've been looking mostly in the Ann Arbor area, but I did take a look at Cranbrook in Bloomfield hills.  They are also pricey, but not nearly as bad as Meadowbrook (but isn't meadowbrook gorgeous? if i won the lottery, i would totally go there...).  I can't think of any others that are within an hour of your ceremony.  My best advice would be to start calling every golf course in the area.  The aren't as pretty as a garden or park, but usualy much more relaxed about letting you put up a tent.  And I've also found them to be more open to negotiating on the price.  Don't be afraid to tell them I need to be under $X, what can you do, they will often come up with some compromise, even if they say they have a certain miniumum $ amount.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes I am interested in going to look at Cranbrook. But I can't seem to get an answer for how much the rental portion would be? One person told me in the outdoor art academt area it's something like $4,000 for the 1st 3 hrs and $1,000 thereafter. Is that what you were told? So confused!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Garden Park in Holly has beautiful grounds and also has an area set aside for tented receptions. They coordinate the rental and set-up, too. Catering there is provided by the Holly Hotel. Might be worth checking out... http://gardenparkinc.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat too... Ours is set for July 2011, but I really want to do an outdoor reception. If you want an outdoor ceremony, Kellog park in Plymouth is really cute... Also try looking at Hines Park. They have some locations with electricty and small kitchens if needed. I absolutley LOVED meadowbrook Hall but it seems very very very expensive. O well.. good luck ladies
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Regarding Cranbrook, I think it was $4,000 for the first 3 hours and $1,000 for every hour after that.  Which is a lot, I know, but it is gorgeous.  The reason we decided against it was because, in addition to the already high rental fee, to go outside you'd have to rent a tent, plus a dance floor, and probably sidewalls in case it was rainy or windy, etc., which really starts to add up.  They have five caterers you can choose from, so it's possible one of them has reasonable prices, but I didn't research any beyond that.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Holly Garden park doesn't accomodate as many people as I need :(  The search continues!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards