Michigan-Detroit
Options

How Have You?

In a post on another thread, someone mentioned how much money they have saved from ideas from this board: So how have you saved the most money and on what? I am going to attempt to do my own centerpieces for the reception and the favors for the reception. I also am going to ask a friend to help me make my veil, I just learned her and her mom made her veil and I adored her veil.

Re: How Have You?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, I'd say its not so much that I've saved a ton of money because of the board but that I know I'm getting quality for my money.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't made a whole lot of purchases yet that saved me buckets of money. But, I didn't know about Etsy until coming here. There are a lot of great finds on there that are pretty affordable.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've saved a lot of from ideas from girls on here...Taryn showed me a great envelope website that I'm using for my STD magnets.I'm going to DIY my own aisle runnerDIY my own veil if I decide I want oneI think the blogs that people post on here are super helpful with DIY ideas and everyones own DIY ideas that they share are definitely money savers.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Etsy.com is awesome! I had custom jewelry made. I am also getting my BM gifts made for $5 per girl. whiteaisle.com has beautiful  & affordable jewelrygreat photog package with Amy Boeve that include e-picsgreat deals and recs on linens -  www.sposaseating.com and www.stephaniesweddingcreations.comAMAZING deal saver on florists - April Oboza (works from home)I wasn't into getting a videographer but I couldn't pass up the awesome deal on videographer $500! Adam Retli (i think he raised his prices to $700 for 2010 brides)And my purple shoes from Target! LOL thanks Kim aka sunkissed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've actually spent more! I didn't think I could afford a florist so I planned to do all of the flowers myself for a few hundred. Then I found april oboza from a knottie and went with her which was just a bit more but much less stressful. I have gotten so many ideas from this place though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ^ I was glad to help, April!!  :)There are a lot of things I've learned from this board...* Etsy - my new obsession.  I bought most of my BM gifts from there (pearl necklace/earring set, monogram tote bag, and ring dish) - for approx $35 per BM!  I also bought all my jewelry for around $40 and my hair flowers.* DIY unity candle (thank, Mink!) - otherwise, I would be paying my florist a lot more for a unity candle set up* My photographer!!  I never ever would have found Amy Boeve without this board.  She is based out of Grand Rapids and I wouldn't have thought to look that far away!* Chair covers - without this board and the recommendations for Sposa Seating, I might have paid $4 per cover (the HORROR!)* Without this board, I never would have found my DOC.  Heart her a whole lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, through this board I discovered Amanda Williams, which is saving me a lot of money on photography. Plus, I'm getting my photobooth for 1/2 price (although, without this board I may not have known about photobooths so not sure that's a money saver or not lol). I have found a ton of great blogs for DIY and great websites for affordable supplies and wedding related items too. Brandi, glad to have helped with the shoes! :) And, I think as of yesterday...Brandi and Corinne saved me gas money driving out to Lansing to look at a dress that may or may not be at a store...lol. Thanks ladies!  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know that I saved money from TK! HA! Although the referrals were well worth it. Most of my vendors came from TK rec's. We didn't get the idea from TK, but my mom did our CP and ordered orange roses from Costco. We saved a lot & the flowers were beautiful!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ^ Kim, maybe you could call the Lansing store and have them get the dress in so you can try it on.  Or do you have to buy it before they'll order it?  Not sure how that works...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Doing my own invitations, skipping favors for the reception after all, buying items from knotties instead of spending an arm and a leg on new ones, cutting the shower list down, skipping floral center pieces (bought candle sets from another knottie).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, I'd say its not so much that I've saved a ton of money because of the board but that I know I'm getting quality for my money.  Well said, Booger!Because of this, I got better ideas and did things that are more unique, like a candy buffet.  It isn't unique on here at all, but none of my friends or family have seen it.  I also did my own aisle runner instead of buying it, and my own invites instead of buying them....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've saved over $2000 on all things flowers. I made the centerpieces, bouts, bouquets. I  made my own veil eventhough I didn't use it. Fi made our card box and we saved on our reception site by telling them what we wanted to spend as oppose to what they would charge us. They agree. I dont have an estimate but It was a good amount of money saved. Oh and we will be getting a check back from the Ritz based on our final count.
  • Options
    jbasore1123jbasore1123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all the above. No money saving, but a lot of new ideas. I actually originally planned on doing my own flowers and invites... I'm now looking into recs on here, so it's prolly making me spend MORE money. I can't help it, I have wedding envy.
  • Options
    mink492mink492 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I managed to save on all my DIY projects - aisle runner, invites, unity & memory candles, programs, pomanders... I loved getting ideas from everyone's bios. I tried to put most of my price breakdowns in my bio.My biggest one was probably our photog - after my first choice was booked I was ready to cry but l&bbaby rec'd KBL & we ended up loving her.I'm glad I got to pass April along ;)
  • Options
    JPtachJPtach member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I loved reading everyone's posts, I've only been on here a couple days and have already gotten some great ideas! Lisa R thanks for sharing your tip about telling the vendor what you are willing to spend, I think I'm going to do that with whichever caterer I find.  I checked out etsy.com and love that site! Great tip! Thanks girls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards