Ohio-Columbus
Options

Bridal Salons

Hey everyone.  I'm planning on going wedding dress shopping with my FMIL on Saturday. I am thinking of going to two places, and wanted opinions. I'd like to stay in the Columbus and surrounding areas.

Since price is sometimes a major factor in choosing the location, I'd like to keep it under $1000 for the dress, but definitely under $1500. Unless, of course I fall in love......

Thanks ladies for any help :-)

p.s. I know there was a list on dress shops recently...but couldn't remember where it was and/or what was suggested! I'll blame it on studying too much this summer.

Re: Bridal Salons

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Henris Cloud 9 on Sancus Blvd (off the Polaris exit, turn right, then left on Sancus... it's on your right) has just got Bridal gowns in... before they had a huge selection of Mother's dresses and Prom Dresses. I got my Prom dress at Henri's and the quality is great.

I still think you should make the trip to Coshocton and go to Universe Brides :) I'm a little (or a lot) biased.

P.S. I'm glad you still have enough energy to focus on wedding stuff on day 2 of the bar exam. super-woman perhaps?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Wendy's Bridal in Dublin.  I know they sometimes get a bad rep here, but I really enjoyed working with Lil.  I went to three other places in Columbus which were smaller boutiques and I thought I wouldn't like Wendy's, but it turns out that they had a larger selection and their gowns range a lot in prices so you could definitely find something within your price range. 
    On that note - another good story about Wendy's - my dress just came in and I live in Chicago so my mom went to pick it up for me.  When they showed it to her she saw a black spot near the belly button.  They were very helpful and agreed that was not acceptable and called to get the desinger on the phone.  They did and they are now sending the dress back to the manufactorer to be fixed (they think the black spot was from somewhere they'd burned a thread so they don't fray).  They were very helpful with the whole thing - I'm just glad I ordered my dress so early (my wedding is next May) since it could take another 4-6 months to get back!  Anyway - good luck with your dress hunting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just be sure to make appointments if there are certain places you want to go.  I know some of the places around columbus require appointments.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 323 Made the List!
    image 114 Are ready to Dance!
    image 12 Can't make it!
    image 197 Forgot how to use Snail Mail!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Alan Ray and got my dress for $650.  My max was actually $1200.  I can't speak for all the employees there I guess, but Mariella had no intention squeezing nickels out of me.  The dress I ended up with is the opposite of what I "wanted", but she asked me to try it on just for fun, as she thought it would fit my body type well.  And I fell in love.  And it was half the cost of all the dress I picked out.  

I didn't enjoy Wendy's, personally.  I clearly did not like the one dress I was in and a manager and two other associates came over to tell me how I belonged in that dress.  Sorry ladies, no dice.  All it did was piss me off.  This was my experience, but I would say if needed, it may be worth a scan of their selection.  

Jeune Marie has just amazing dresses, but plan on going over budget if you walk in.  I didn't let myself take one step past the windows :D

• Options
    edited December 2011
    When I was dress shopping, I went to Wendy's, David's, Alan Ray, Cincinnati Bridal & Formal, Perfect Weddings (in Lancaster), and I did the Running of the Brides at Filene's in the winter.

I'd recommend Wendy's - I think they have a great variety, and you will definitely be at or below your price point.  Some people on the boards have had problems with some of the saleswomen, but I had a good experience there.

Alan Ray - I'm 5'8" and wear a street size 8-10, and it seemed like every dress there was intended for someone shorter and skinnier.  I felt like a giant compared to the other women in the store.  That being said, the woman I worked with was great, and they had lots of dresses available in the price range you're looking to stay in.  I'd recommend going there if you're tiny :-)

David's was okay.  You could definitely tell the change in quality from some of the designers compared to David's, but my second choice dress was actually at David's.  You'll definitely stay in your price range.  If you're just starting out looking for a dress, I think David's is a good place to go because they have lots of styles in lots of sizes, so you can actually try on a dress that would be a size that you would actually buy, rather than a sample dress at other stores.  You can find out what style dress works for you.

Perfect Weddings - I liked it there.  They just kind of let you sort through their dresses and try on whatever you'd like.  Pretty decent selection, within your price range.  My third choice dress was at Perfect Weddings.

Bridal & Formal - Worth the drive.  I bought my dress from there.  Huge selection, broad range of prices.  I think they price-match, too, so you can get a decent deal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also bought my dress at Alan Ray. The lady that helped me is no longer there :( but she sure did a great job helping me pick out a dress that looked good on me.

My Mom and I walked in Wendy's and went given the time of day, so after some looking we left. DB was ok, I had found a few dresses that I liked, but after visiting Alan Ray, I was hooked on my gown and there was no turning back.

Yes, I heard LaJune Marie in Worthington is very expensive. There is also Elegant Bride in Dublin, which was very nice. They were a bit more than I wanted to pay as well, but I did find several dresses there that I liked. The lady was very helpful and knowledgeable as well.
  • Options
    fallbride'10fallbride'10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you go to Wendy's set up the appt with Lil. She was great. She held a dress for me overnight so I  could make up my mind and there were a couple marks on it b/c it was a sample and she got them out by hand for me. I also went to David's which was ok, I didn't love the selection though. Also went to Wedding plantation which had a few nice gowns.
    November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At Wendys - you do want to work with Lil. period.

Try Elegant Bride in Dublin also.

Alan Ray is on Billingsley (Sawmill Rd, just north of 270).

Wendys is south of 270 at the Sawmill/161 SW corner. It's in the back of the stone-faced strip mall there. 

David's is further south on of 161 on Sawmill and on the East side of the street.

To get to Elegant Bride either take 270 west from Sawmill to 161 at Dublin and go East in to downtown Dublin. It is in the same shopping center as Kroger (161 is also Bridge St.)  OR if you are at Sawmill & 161, take 161 West through Dublin until you see Kroger.

Personally I'd skip David's completely but that's me.  If you are doing 2 stores I would suggest Wendy's and Elegant Bride.  IF 3 I would go to David's early in the morning, then Wendy's, then Elegant Bride.

Make an appointment for any store you want to go to, don't just wander in as they may not have time for your to try on wedding dresses.  Plan about 1 to 1.5 hours at each store, allow driving time and time for lunch, etc.

Note that most stores will NOT allow you to take pictures unless you are actually buying/ordering that specific dress.

DD's dress is coming from Elegant Bride.  The bra cups and crinoline are sewn in so fewer garments to wear, making it very comfortable.   DD wanted the bodice from one dress so for $100 the manufacturer swapped the bodice patterns when making the dress.  Total cost of dress, swapping the bodice pattern, bra cups, crinoline was $1500 but most of their dresses are less and they have a good sale rack too.   Also, lots of veils, headpieces, other jewelry and shoes.

It came in and fits almost perfectly.  The are adding more scallops of lace in the V neck so not as much clevage shows. The back has a low V and they will take a small dart on either side where the lace of the top attaches to the waist/skirt so that the lace lays completely flat against her back with no gap.

The seamstress is adding a 2 layer french bustle that ties with ribbons rather than snaps or hooks.  The total cost of the alterations is $65.

If you go - do the other stores first at the start of your day, they tend to be more noisey and energy consuming. Elegant Bride is calm and easy to shop in and the owner is extremely nice.

• Options
    skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    About Henri's - if it' s like their store in NE Ohio, they will have beautiful gowns and worth stopping buy.

I hate Wedding Plantation and over the years I've been there several times. just don't like it.  Cramped, crowded, seems dirty (to me).

DD has had white gowns (could have been wedding gowns but not what she used them for) from Cincinnati Bridal & Formal, we were treated well and got great price.  Trying to keep this short: when we went wedding dress shopping there she was clear and firm with them on both budget and that she wasn't buying that day.  Gist of it is, they tried hard to "up sell" her and not buy a little. A dress, not her style, they really pushed was a $14,000 sample for $7,000- twice her budget. Another one the consultant chose that she really did  like was about $1500 or $2K over her budget. 

Additionally once the consultant accepted that Dd wasn't buying that day she was rude to me whenever DD wasn't in room. I was reallly trying to be friendly, ask questions about the dresses my daughter did like - MOH saw it and was really surprised. DD would came back in to room and consultant would "flip a switch" and be charming.  When MOH told DD how consultant treated me, they were crossed off the list.  Note also - her budget was $3500 max. She bought a complete dress at Elegant Bride in Dublin for $1500 which included $100 to have a different bodice pattern used.  She'll have additional in her veil and $65 for alterations.

Now on  the FLIP SIDE - several weeks later we went with FDIL to B&F. She had a different consultant who did a fabulous job. I wish i could remember her name. FDIL ordered her dress from them. I believe it was in the 2K range.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the insight and tips.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've also been to Wendy's and had a great experience! I plan on going back in a few weeks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I went shopping we visited Wendys, Alan Ray, DB and The Wedding Plantation.. Wendys was kind of impersonal but they had a good selection, I worked with Lil and thought she was great. Alan Ray was somewhat smaller but also had nice gowns. David's was everything you think Davids would be, and I think after seeing the gowns in smaller botiques the dresses from David's seemed cheap. We ended up finding the gown at Wedding Plantation, they had a good selection and the dresses we're really reasonably priced.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I grew up in the same town as Henri's Cloud Nine in NE Ohio.  I bought every one of my prom dresses there, as well as my sisters for about 10 years!

I was excited to see they now have a store here in Columbus. I will definately be going in their to try on some wedding gowns, even if I dont plan to buy it there, but going to check it out!  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards