Michigan-Detroit
Options

REC: Small(ish) Reception Venue

Can anyone recommend a reception venue for smaller weddings?  We anticipate 100 people or less. FI and I are just starting to look at recption venues and we are finding that we may not meet the room minimums with our expected guest count. :(

Re: REC: Small(ish) Reception Venue

• Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what area are you looking for? Also, lots of venues will reduce or even eliminate minimums for Friday weddings (since they don't book as many as Saturday). My venue has a $11k minimum for Saturdays, which we would have met, but they don't have a minimum at all for Fridays.  I don't know if you're set on a date yet but it's worth thinking about if you aren't.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you looking to stay in the Metro Detroit area?  There are some nice venues by me (Tri-Cities), but that's probably not a lot of help to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our venue has a 100 person minimum (Kings Court Castle in Lake Orion)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies.  Yes, we are looking in the Metro Detroit area.  We live on the West side, but are looking at Commerce Twp, Bloomfield Hills, Plymouth, Livonia, Detroit, etc.  We are probably set on a Saturday evening (unless we can't find a place!) because the majority of our families will be coming in from out of town, and a Saturday is easier for them.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out It's A Matter of Taste in Commerce Twp?  A friend of mine knows the owner there and says that it's really nice. I know they do banquets and I think they have some smaller rooms, which probably have lower minimums. It's worth a shot. [url]www.matteroftaste.net[/url]
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea what happened there...but the link works. Crazy knot!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were at Devil's Ridge with 125 people. We were in their downstairs ballroom. They had a 150 person minimum which I talked them into changing it to a $8,000 min. We it that and passed it with 125 people. Reviews and website in my bio.
  • Options
    evemisevemis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on what you specifically want, you might check some of the nicer restaurants around you. My fiance and I are doing our reception at an Ann Arbor restaurant and will only have around 100-120 guests. They were quite flexible with us, don't charge a minimum of any sort and actually are easier to work with than some of the banquet/"wedding factory" type places (ex. they won't charge us to cut the cake, for glass glasses etc. and our guests don't even have to pick a meal months in advance, they can choose the night of since the restaurant is used to dealing with lots of people at once). Just a thought!
  • Options
    cwimer6154cwimer6154 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our outdoor ceremony at the Longacre House of Farmington Hills (on Farmington Rd. between 10 and 11 mile).  We can't do the reception there because they can only accomodate less than 130 for an indoor reception (which we are well over).  The space is a historical home and is really quaint and beautiful inside and out.  They don't have a kitchen but they work with a caterer that I've heard nothing but outstanding reviews on.  They have a bridal suite and grooms room upstairs that we will be using to get ready in before the ceremony.  The "livingroom" which is where they host receptions will be our back-up ceremony location in the event of bad weather.  It's a beautiful site and is relatively affordable. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    evemis, that is such a great idea! i would love to go to a reception like that!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try the gem theater, I believe they have a smaller room in the basement which is really nice and accomodates only up to 150 I think. They also have a smaller theater you can married in if you are looking to do your ceremony there as well. I think one bride had her reception at the Whitney downtown too...
    Trying for #1 since 5/2010
    12/2010-hysteroscopy done to remove uterine polyps
    6/2/11=BFP!!!!
    EDD 2/12/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also try The Dearborn Inn [url]www.dearborninnweddings.com[/url]We should have about 100 guests (inviting 125) and we got the pick of two different ballrooms. They have an outdoor ceremony area too. It's really pretty.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great ideas!  I never would have come up with all this on my own.  I love the knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards