Michigan-Detroit
Options

Second Job

k So I need a second job..bad. I applied at the bowling alley by my house,to do anyting. I handed my app. to the owner,and he looked over my experience,which I have none.But he saw that I work at Visions,He said, "oh you work at Visions?I go there,I was just in last week" I said, "yes,who do you see?" He said, "Susan,and Greg(the owner) used to be our hocky coach" I said "Oh,awesome"blah,blah,blah then he says "But I'm sorry I am just full right now" Rats! I thought.But he did say he would keep me in mind if anything became available.On one hand it is good that he knows my people,but no job right now.Grr. I have looked on Craigs list and just don't know what to do.I was hoping for a bartender job that would train me.Anyone know of anything?I hope I find something,where I can make tips.My favorite job was delivery pizzas but I don't have a crappy car to drive around,I lease mine now.I would probably get hired in a second for a delivery person.Vent over lol

Re: Second Job

• Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's almost the time when retail stores start hiring for extra holiday help. I always toy with the idea of getting a 2nd job at Macy's, Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body Works, something like that for extra money around the holidays.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    True,I would be nervous to work retail.People suck!lol But drunk people for the most part are nice.I may have to consider retail though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I worked at NY&Co for two dys and was out of there as fast as i could!!!! NEVER again!! Lol.. but i need another job too :(  BlaH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Retail is for sure hiring right now. I would do something like Bath and Body Works or Macy's. I don't know if things have changed with the economy and what not but I know B&BB has to hire a ton of people during the holidays or at least they have in the past. I would avoid Victoria's Secret because they are notorious for keeping their people late (midnight or later) plus you get creepy men in their looking you up and down haha. Retail isn't too bad during the holidays people are generally in a good mood. Good luck!!
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    keep in mind that if you are working retail during the holidays you will work the day after thanksgiving, the days after christmas...and probably get fired close to Jan 15 (when inventory ends).Also, that weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are when you will be working LATE shifts. Even if the store closes at 10, someone has to help clean/stock/etc.
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you would earn tips, but if you don't mind it, commercial cleaning is what I do after my full-time job during the week. It's easy work and depending on who you clean for, may make exceptions for the holiday's coming up. I just bring my Zune and away I go.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    Jacks21583Jacks21583 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish I could get a part time retail job at Kohl's...imagine the employee discount on top of sale prices! I could never do it because of my real job...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Uhh...if you're set on bartending, try neighborhood bars. Some of them don't care about your experience as long as you're cute and have a good personality. I would also suggest holiday retail. J.Crew was really easy to work at for me. I did that for a holiday but I probably spent every penny I earned and then some. IDK about the one at 12 Oaks, but the Somerset one has their own stock people & didn't have sales goals like most do. I would not recommend VS only because the customers & dealing w/ small merchandise would drive me nuts. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!  
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I worked in management at Target for a couple years after college, and retail is tough (physically and mentally), but its probably your best bet for a second job this time of year.  You just have to have a thick skin because people can get cruel and nasty this time of year.  However, I would not recommend Target because they basically pay minimum wage and I know there are retailers out there who pay more. Good luck!
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I quit my second job a few months ago (Michael's Arts and Crafts).  I worked at the one on Orchard Lake Road.It was actually okay working there. I got my wonderful 25% off on top of the sales that were going on and the people ar friendly. I know for sure that they are hiring right now due to the holiday's.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I worked Christmas help at Victoria’s Secret every year from 2003 to 2007.  I liked it a lot and they’re always busy so it made the time fly by and it was fun.  All the girls were great.  It just got to be too much – I took on 3 nights a week plus Sundays so just don’t be like me and burn yourself out.  It sucked having no social life for 3 months!  J
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LMAO Shannon!  I actually waited on a lot of men but none of them were creepy. In fact, my favorite customers were the men because they didn’t know what to do with themselves & it was easier to expand our sales!!!  “How about some matching panties to go with that bra?”  “And you really should get her some of this scented lotion!”  J  I kicked azz and took names with the dudes. My problem at VS were the stupid little teenagers that came in droves, knowing they can’t afford the stuff.  I used to give them dirty looks and follow them around the store until they left, or I’d have the asst. manager Rose kick them out.  She didn’t tolerate the li’l brats.  She taught me well to kick the 12 year olds out when they’d come in and play with the make up.   And Sinnedambition is right – they will MAKE you work the day after Thanksgiving; that whole weekend as well as Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas are mandatory at just about all retail shops (the whole weekend was at VS).  Imagine the fresh hell I caught when my cousin in Pittsburgh got married the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2006.  I told the manager either I have the weekend for my family or I’m outta here.  She let it slide but everyone whined about it.  Oh well!!  It’s a 2nd job, they can KMA. Sorry – what were we talking about again???
  • Options
    japow1984japow1984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Manda! Megan just told me that Baileys in Dearborn is hiring. It might be a little out of the way for you though. Just thought I would let you know though:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards