Michigan-Detroit
Options

More bad news for me!

I just got a phone call and my ceremony/reception location just went out of business! I don't even know what to do. I picked that place because of the gorgeous outdoor area to get married, the amazing layout of the place and the hotel right next door! I guess I can get my deposit back, but that doesn't make me feel any better. I had my heart set on that place. I looked at other places and this is the place I wanted. I'm so lost!

Re: More bad news for me!

• Options
    jodyk23jodyk23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is Genoa Woods (Legendary Events) in Brighton. I guess they sent out a letter, but I haven't received it yet.
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ugh!! That's horrible, Jody!!! I'm so sorry! It sucks that you had your heart set on it. Any thoughts on where you're going to look as a replacement?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jcrawford76jcrawford76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry it didn't work out, that really sucks, but we're here to help! Maybe we can suggest a place you hadn't looked at yet. What city/area would you like to be in?  
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    edited December 2011
    Wow! I saw your FB post, I'm sorry that happened to you. Are you trying to stay in the Brighton area?
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    jodyk23jodyk23 member
    edited December 2011
    We live in Howell and this place was in Brighton. We wanted a location that was close to home, but also near a hotel. This was the only place that met this criteria.
  • Options
    jodyk23jodyk23 member
    edited December 2011
    I'll update more later once I get home and read the letter they sent me. Ugh, so stressful!
  • Options
    l&bbabyl&bbaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yuck... sorry Jody :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about having it at one of the hotels in Brighton? I'm not even sure if they do that? The only other place I can think of is Crystal Gardens... or River Birch Lodge in Hartland, but that doesn't have any hotels near by. What about Waldenwoods? I think Hartland is building a new hotel... Or Chemung Hills? My MIL went to a wedding there & said it was really pretty.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear that Jody. What about Crystal Gardens? There aren't any hotels immediately next to the place, but I know some hotels offer free shuttles. That's something to think about. And anything else MeghanAshley rec'd too. Those are all great options.
  • Options
    jodyk23jodyk23 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    cwimer6154cwimer6154 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's terrible news Jody!! I suggest Crystal Gardens in Howell as well.  My FSIL had her wedding there last year and they had a free shuttle from Homewood Suites in Brighton (as long as they booked a certain number of hotel rooms).  Both the venue and the hotel were outstanding.  I hope you can get a resolution that will make you happy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That totally sucks!  I am not familiar with that area at all, so I am no help, but I know the ladies on here will help you out!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Jacks21583Jacks21583 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First your church, now this! What a drag. I'm sure you'll be able to find something though! I have also heard good things about Crystal Gardens.
  • Options
    kflook007kflook007 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear that, and I have some suggestions:I am having my ceremony outdoors at a church in howell called Chilson Hills Baptist Church.  They have an outdoor area where which is where we will have our ceremony.  You could try them, its like an ampatheatre.Also, I am using Crystal Gardens for my reception (about 15 min from ceremony site), and I have booked the rights for the shuttle service with homewood suites for the day of our wedding.  I would try there.There are also two places in Hartland I can suggest:Waldenwoods - very beautiful, but more than I could affordhttp://www.waldenwoods.com/River Birch Lodge - Gorgeous, but you would have to find a catererhttp://www.riverbirchlodge.net/main.swfHope it works out.
  • Options
    ejayejay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Shepard of the Lakes Lutheran Church, which isn't outdoors but is goregous inside and you do not need to be a member.  They have been extremely helpful there! Keep us updated!!!!
  • Options
    *LBR**LBR* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Howell also! We are having our reception at Crystal Gardens and have been having a great experience with them so far. They have great packages that include the room rental, tax, gratuity, DJ, invites, and cake (we chose chair covers instead though). They don't have an outdoor ceremony location so we are having it at a golf club. It was really hard to find a place that would hold the ceremony, that was the only downfall. Good luck!
  • Options
    jodyk23jodyk23 member
    edited December 2011
    The thing I'm mostly worried about is these places being booked already for my date. June 26th is less than 9 months away. I looked into Crystal Gardens before and I don't like the there are other events there at the same time. Plus I know the shuttles are booked already at the local hotels, so I'd have to pay for my own. It just totally blows that this place was exactly what I wanted and now I'm going to have to settle for something else. I'm sure I'll figure something out but this sucks!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good luck!  So sorry to hear about your trouble. I will keep my eyes open for ideas for you. 
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    terbear_86terbear_86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did some research at Dunham Hills Country Club in Hartland- gorgeous pics and decent prices-- 3 miles from the hotels at M-59 and US-23. I don't know about shuttles though. Also- maybe check near Pinckney, Ann Arbor area, still pretty close to home. I know a few women on here have had outdoor ceremonies at Cobblestone Farm ( which is gorgeous, I went to a NYE wedding there in the barn WOW!) Maybe also check into metro parks in the area near Hotels. I am sorry I wish I could be of more help. My parents live out there and I will see them this weekend. I could drop some feelers for you. And I am sorry :( that you have to go through this.
  • Options
    jodyk23jodyk23 member
    edited December 2011
    I just got the letter from the venue itself saying they are closing their doors. No mention of my deposit though. My FI left a message on their machine today at 4:30pm. I'm going to scan the letter in and submit it to my credit card company to dispute the charge. Hopefully I can get some money back. The former chef there has set up a new catering company at a decent venue. They are having a private open house next week that we are going to. They would honor our contract and not charge us a deposit. We'll see.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards