Michigan-Detroit
Options

Help for an Ohio Bride

Hi Everyone!
I'm a bride planning a wedding in Cincinnati, Ohio (usually on the Cincinnati board) but my mom lives in Dexter, MI.  She is desperately trying to find the perfect mother-of-the-bride dress but hasn't yet.  She doesn't like dress shopping and my dad is no help, to top it off, I actually live in DC so I'm no where close to help. 

I figured I'd reach out to brides that are local to Michigan in hopes of ideas on stores to find nice mother-of-the-bride dresses.  She lives in Dexter but often does her shopping in Ann Arbor.  Any recommendations would be wonderful! She is willing to drive wherever for the right store!

Thank you very much for any help you can offer!  I hate that I'm not in Michigan to help her find her dress!

Re: Help for an Ohio Bride

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello RJ - I'm also in Dexter and a future MOB!  Wonder if we know each other?  I've seen some beautiful appropriate gowns at the department stores at the mall and a few at David's bridal.  I've also found a couple of resources on line.  If you don't mind ordering directly from China, http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/mother+of+the+bride.html has some wonderful dresses at great prices. I like that you send your measurements and then have them altered locally.  There is also a nice on-line store that has brick and mortar in Dayton OH.  http://www.romanticgowns.com/. I haven't looked at the MOB dresses but their bridal selection and prices is very nice. I'd be game to go on a MOB shopping trip and compare wedding notes! F Chomic
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm assuming she has already checked out the department stores at the mall?  If not, Von Maur at Briarwood usually has a nice selection of MOB appropriate dresses.  They have a fantastic return policy, too, in case she wanted to purchase several, and then get your opinion.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom got her dress at VonMaur in Livonia. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
      I live in Ann Arbor and work in Dexter. My mom hasn't bought her dress yet, but has so far been more drawn to bridesmaid dresses than MOB dresses (they can be so dowdy looking!). I would say Briarwood mall, and some of the bridal boutiques in the area (Darling Brides on Jackson Rd. in A2, Mimi's Bridal Boutique on Washtenaw in A2, I Do Too in Plymouth). I actually went to B. Ella Bridal in A2 for my dress, but they were super unprofessional so I ended up buying it elsewhere (for half the price). My mom found a dress there that she liked but won't go back there. Allure Bridal in Livonia has a nice selection of special occassion and BM dresses too.
  • Options
    elkayelkay member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Darling Brides on Jackson Rd. Also, depending on your Mom's style and the degree of formality she/you seek, she might find something beautiful and stylish at the boutiques on Liberty St. a few doors away from the Michigan Theater. H'mm, I think the stores are Allure and Pink Pump.

If she would prefer something either custom-made or a store dress re-designed, I highly recommend Heather's Place (dressmaker by appt.) on W. Miller. She does great work and has a fine sense of style and how to do flattering fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards