Michigan-Detroit

NRW - Sorta: COPD

My mom had COPD.  She did it to herself with years of smoking.  This past January she was hospitalized with pnuemonia and finally quit.

She came home with oxygen (and an oxygen generator) and a breathing machine.  She got rid of the oxygen in three months and the breathing machine is gathering dust.

I am afraid that trying to plan (and get ready) for a wedding will be too much for her.  Right now it takes her forever to get ready just to go to church on Sunday.

My dad tried to talk to her again this morning and told her that she needed to get back on the oxygen.  She didn't want to talk about it - as she was huffing and trying to catch her breath.

I am at a loss as to what to do.  I guess I just need to vent!

Re: NRW - Sorta: COPD

• emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm so sorry about your mom :(

But your wedding is not for another year so a lot can change in the next year or so (for the good!)  I wouldn't worry about things just yet.  And as far as planning, there isn't anything she has to plan so it shouldn't be an issue :) 

• PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Sadly, the COPD will not get any better.  Both Dad and I have suggested that she get a pneumonia shot ASAP but she won't.  Dad has already told me that if she gets it this winter she will probably not make it.
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear that :(  I'll keep her in my T&Ps.  I know it can be incredibly frustrating when close family members don't heed medical advice.
    edited December 2011
    She is a Jones and Lord knows how stubborn they can be, or at least the Jones' in my family.

Granted I am have Jones but when I know that something is wrong I go, yet at the same time I am not going in for every little bump, scratch or bruise that I get.
  • klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my mom also has COPD and like your mom has ended up in the hospital for it and definitely does not take her meds as she should.
    i know some things that help my mom are not walking long distances. So assuming you get your hair down at a salon, make sure there's always a spot for her to sit. Also, you may want to consider having a small fan with you at the salon. I know with my mom the smells of the chemicals (hairspray, perfumes, etc) REALLY kick her COPD in high gear.
    i'd deifnitely make sure that her nebulizer and treatment meds are packed for the day of. Put someone else in charge of this, as i'm sure you won't have time to be carrying this bag around. IF in the event she goes into an episode having the treatment available will be very helpful.
    good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    My sis is a beautican so I will probably go there if I have my wedding local.  She may be able to do it at the house.

The only meds my mom takes is her thyroid and a baby asprin occasionally.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards