Michigan-Detroit
Options

Travel Agents

On Thursday I met with a travel agent at Shamrock Travel in downtown Rochester and she asked some questions, but not many (they were not busy, no one else walked in the office the whole time I was there) and she said she would send me some quotes on Friday morning.  Well it is now Sunday, and still no quotes.  I plan on following up with her tomorrow but because of the poor communication I want to at least talk to one or two more agents.  Is there anyone you have worked with that was great? Or anyone you have heard great things about?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Travel Agents

• Options
    edited December 2011
    FI met with a few but wasn't impressed, so he wound up booking on his own. What locations are you thinking of for your HM?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No TA could quote us a better price than ones we found online.. So we're just going to book it ourselves (we still haven't figured out where we're going though)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are leaning towards somewhere AI in the Caribbean.  I wanted to go to one of the unique islands but realized that meant a few grand more, so as of now we are leaning towards Jamaica.  Max. budget for hotel, food/alcohol, airfare, transfers, basic entertainment, taxes, gratuity is $3500 for 6 or 7 nights.  We plan on taking extra for shopping and maybe 1 or 2 extra excursions. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're thinking AI in the Caribbean, then I would skip the TA. Nowadays, a TA is really only useful for Europe or exotic destinations (Tahiti etc). There are lots of girls that have done the Caribbean - read through some reviews on the HM board :)
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out allinclusiveoutlet.com and cheapcaribbean.com  I used those for my basic research (narrowing down which island to go to, which resort, etc.)

I ended up booking through Expedia because it was the cheapest of the 10 or so travel websites but the websites I mentioned are great starting points.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've looked at Cheap Caribbean and deals always look good but by the time I get to the end and add in fees, it is often times more expensive than the exact same thing as the resort's website.  I keep checking the e-mails I get from them though hoping one time it is different.  Also, I will have to look at allinclusiveoutlet.com that's one I have not heard of yet.
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah the fees stink but it at least gave us an idea what was within our budget ($3000) for everything.  We ended up booking 6 nights in P*nta Cana, Dominican Republic for about $2600.  Then we'll have some money left over for excursions, tips, luggage fees, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow 2600 is definitely a good deal.  Originally we were shooting for 3,000 but I realized a lot of places will give us a much nicer room for like an extra 300, which is probably worth it to us.  Most stuff I am looking at, prices are coming out to the $3,300 range for everything but I just can't make a freaking decision.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with some of the previous posters.  For the carribean you can usually find really good deals on your own.  We are going to and all inclusive in Aruba for 7 nights and its costing us under $2800 for everything including airfare.  However if you really want to meet with a  Travel agent look up Shelly Andrus, Brookside Travel.  She is also a D.O.C and is pretty awesome to work with. HTH

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We booked our honeymoon with Directional Strategies in Royal Oak. We ended up getting a better deal than online and better information. Make sure you get trip insurance and refundable airfare! We ended up with 6 nights at Sandals Grande Riviera for about $3500 with airfare, however due to gas your prices might be a little bit higher. Also, check out tripadvisor.com, people post reviews and actual pictures of the resort so you get a better feel of what to expect.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_travel-agents-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:36ab93f6-a891-4b88-8d05-7ce8d04c0d6dPost:39cc7886-3198-4f95-9dcd-577eed8237fc">Re: Travel Agents</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with some of the previous posters.  For the carribean you can usually find really good deals on your own.  We are going to and all inclusive in Aruba for 7 nights and its costing us under $2800 for everything including airfare.  However if you really want to meet with a  Travel agent look up Shelly Andrus, Brookside Travel.  She is also a D.O.C and is pretty awesome to work with. HTH Good Luck!
    Posted by lmalear01[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage $2800 for Aruba? That was one of my first choices until my first few choices showed up a few grand over my budget and we settle for somewhere like Jamaica. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I booked with Karen Hintze from Complete Travel in Troy. SHe had the best prices, and wonderful customer service. Her office is always busy, but she always takes care of us right away.  I love working with her and we were able to do lots through email.
    Her number is 248 649 1234.
    Good LUck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards