Michigan-Detroit
Options

Dress/Shoe Advice for Short Bride

I am probably going to start dress shopping in the next couple weeks.  I am very short (only 5 feet tall), so I'm a little concerned about alterations/hemming, and losing a lot of detail on the skirt or looking disproportionate.  For that reason, I'm looking into some designers who will custom-make dresses with hollow-to-hem measurements, etc.

The problem is that I haven't chosen shoes yet, and I know that the height of the heel is really important in the hollow to hem measurement.  Do I need to buy shoes first, or can I just commit to a heel height (say 3 inches) and have measurements taken that way?  Do other brides have advice?  I'm a little hesitant to pick out the shoes without the dress/bridesmaid dresses picked, so I have a chicken-and-egg problem here.  TIA!

Re: Dress/Shoe Advice for Short Bride

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm only 5'2" (but not going tall shoe route because my fiance is not that tall).

If you know going in that you want taller shoes, just buy a pair that have similar height now, not necessarily for your wedding, and start looking at dresses. The more expensive the dress, the more likely when they make it they will retain the details at the bottom of the skirt. Then you can shop for your "real" shoes later.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if you're interested in David's Bridal, but they have a whole line of petite dresses.  The proportions are changed to fit petite women, so the details and line of the dress are preserved. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also short (5'1"). I ordered a dress by Casablanca and the lady at the store did a hem to hollar measurement after I bought my shoes. They will order my dress to fit that measurement so that I will not have to have my dress hemmed and lose all the beautiful detail at the bottom. I did have to go get my shoes the day after I picked out the dress so that they could take that measurement, but it was worth it to me and I found a great pair of shoes at Off Broadway for less than $40! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies.  Lots of great ideas.  I will certainly look at David's Bridal, and will also look at Casablanca gowns.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also 5'0 & got a Casablanca gown... I also had my shoes when they measured me so that it will be made to fit me.  I really like that this designer does this so I didn't have to pay extra for a petite size & then just have to get it hemmed even more (as I'm sure the petite still wouldn't be short enough).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm also pretty sure Maggie Sottero has a line of petites.  I have a friend who's 5'0 and I'm almost certain her dress was a petite.
    Updated 9/21/2010
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    377 Invited image
    338 Ready to rock image
    40 Party poopers image
    0 still making up their minds image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards