Michigan-Detroit
Options

cheap cake

I'm all about getting the cheapest cake possible.  I think I'm gonna go the route where only one tier of the cake is real, and the rest are fake.  And the guests eaxt sheet cake that is cut in slices behind the scenes.  Anyone else go that route?  If so, can you tell me place and cost? 

Re: cheap cake

• Options
    baileyleevbaileyleev member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about maybe doing cupcakes? We are doing $160 cupcakes and a small 2 tier cake for us to cut (and to save the top tier) for about $250. We also save on the cake cutting fee because the cupcakes don't need to be cut and served.

But I love the idea of just doing sheet cakes! I would go with Costco for the sheet cakes! They have AWESOME sheet cakes for $14-$17 ea. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fake layers are not necessarily much cheaper than real layers, since often the cost is associated with decorating the cake.

You could get a few small layers, if you want a layered cake, and do the rest sheet cakes (sheet cakes definitely save money).

I can recommend Cake Fantasy in Ann Arbor as a reasonable/delicious alternative.  They made my shower cakes (not sure exactly what they cost).  They were really good though, and I know they were much less expensive than a traditional bakery.  Info here: http://www.cakefantasy.net/index.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_cheap-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:53a45999-1eac-4c89-86b8-db236487379aPost:e4782de1-b3d2-4d3e-98dc-7b7692c6774f">Re: cheap cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fake layers are not necessarily much cheaper than real layers, since often the cost is associated with decorating the cake. Posted by Meg1036[/QUOTE]

THIS!!! It has to do with the decorations more than the actual cake. I would say maybe look into cupcakes or another route. Something like this may even help you save money because they could double duty as a centerpiece or table decorations.

I think a cake is one of the most overpriced things in a wedding. Such a crazy prices and alot of times people don't even eat the cake. Plus you walk in cut it and the roll it to the back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would also recommend cupcakes.  It also really depends where you go on if fake tiers are cheaper than real tiers. We did tastings and received quotes from 2 bakeries.  1 bakery was the same price either way. The other was about $400 less to do sheet cakes in the back with only 1 real tier.  The main expense comes from how intricate you want the design to be.  In terms of recommendations for bakeries, I would absolutely recommend Home Bakeryin downtown Rochester, but they are not the cheapest option out there.  Our cake was a little over $900 for 170 slices including delivery to Novi.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    lisa89760lisa89760 member
    edited December 2011
    I am using just baked for cupcakes and they are $2 a cupcake.  And then like $40 for delivery, a cupcake tower, & a small cake for you to cut.

A lot of venues will also charge you for cake cutting so this saves you money that way as well.  My venue actually serving ice cream to every table so people can eat that with their cup cakes!
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am using Nicoles Sweet Toppings. She works out of her house in Milford. Really nice woman! I think it ends up being about $2/slice. I am opting to go the fake layer route only because it allows us to add more flavor options with the sheet cake in the background. She said she can do up to 4 flavors per sheet if we go that route. Not that I am picking 16 flavors or anything!
  • Options
    crhein26crhein26 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Josef's in Grosse Pointe and it's less than $2/per person.  I am doing a 4 tier cake and 2 sheet cakes with 6 different kinds of cakes and fillings.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Brian and Cori 11-19-11
  • Options
    lovetruly06lovetruly06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
       Our plan is to do a smaller cake and a homemade dessert table. This is mostly because I really, really wanted some of my aunt's cheesecake (YUMMMM!) 
    Also I don't know if this will be of much help or not but, my sister's husband actually does cakes. I don't know how much he charges but you can call him and ask here's his facebook link. 
    image165 Invited
    image9 are ready to party
    image0 Aren't coming
    image156 Can't find their mail box
    RSVP Deadline: September 19th

I will make mistakes
    I will face heartache
    On Christ the Solid Rock I stand All other ground is sinking sand I will not be moved Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio/ Blog
  • Options
    drewmwdrewmw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're going the cupcake route as well in order to save money. We'll get a small tier for us to cut and then have one for our aniversary cake. We're probably going to use Cakes by Gwen in Saline http://www.gwenscakedecorating.com/index.shtml. It's $1.75/cupcake, instead of $2.50 per slice of cake (it adds up!). Another cool thing about that is we can get different flavors for people to choose from (and even gluten free ones, since most of FI's family is gluten intoloerant).

Not only are cupcakes cheaper per person than slices of cake, but it saves us having to pay our venue's cake cutting fee of $2.25 per person : /
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Created by Wedding Favors

Wedding Planning and DIY bio Updated 05/15/12
    image 167 Made the list
    image 115 Accept
    image 46 Decline
    image 6 Not ready to decide
    RSVP deadline: June 8
  • Options
    karenbride21karenbride21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much ladies!  VERY helpful :)  I better get to it now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards