New York-Hudson Valley

Friday VS. Saturday

Hey Hudson Valley brides to be.... I am trying to figure out a good date to have the wedding. I would love Fall, so I think that has been definitely decided. The only issue is.... I would like a Friday wedding simply because it is so much cheaper than a Saturday; yet I feel a Saturday wedding would be more efficient for everyone (including myself). Of course everyone has something to say about when to have it and what woud be 'best'. My problem is I am continually trying to accommodate everyone else and am getting super frustrated in the process.

The other issue with a Saturday wedding is my fiance- he is dead set against it because we could save so much by doing it on a Friday- he does not seem to get that there is more to it than just saving money.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Anxious in New York

Re: Friday VS. Saturday

• kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We had ours on a Friday and saved a significant amount of money. We got the limos cheaper as well as the reception hall. Fridays can definitely be an inconvenience, especially if your wedding will be in a church (ours was) because it has to be a little earlier than if everything was all at one venue, but we still had 125 people at ours.

I loved it because having it on a Friday meant the ceremony could be at 4 (which is impossible on a Saturday), so we had a lot less of a gap. Having it at 4 gave us plenty of time to get ready and take all of our pictures before hand.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I had a Friday wedding as well. I got married at the reception venue. Ceremony at 7pm and cocktail hr immediately following afterward. It was awesome cuz we saved a TON of money. In addition, most everyone came and no one commente that it was an inconvenience. If anything, people left a bit early from work that day.
  • edited December 2011
    were getting married on a friday.. it was cheaper!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Hello. I've waited here for you. Everlong<3<br>
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much ladies. I think it is decided that we will be doing a Friday. We plan to have the ceremony at the same place as well, saving even more money. If we do the ceremony at the venue, is a rehersal dinner required? I would SO love to skip this!
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If your ceremony is at the reception site than a Friday is even easier for you. Just keep in mind that some of your guests may not be able to make it, especially if they're from oot, and enjoy the rest of your planning!

As far as not doing a rehearsal dinner, I've never heard of anyone not doing one, but I'm sure people have skipped them. Could you possibly do something small and informal like a bbq at your house?
    imageimageimage
  • BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Doing it on a Friday as well. I believe the price difference $10pp and it was $10 more on a Saturday.

Jaimie
  • SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Friday bride too! I was debating to have an April or Sept wedding and the difference would be $10 per plate. A Saturday was another $10.  We decided to go with the in season Sept rate with the Friday pricing.  Our ceremony & reception will be held in the same place, starting at 6.

To be honest, we don't have an overwhelming majority of 9-5's anyway who would have to worry too much about work.  Our wedding is a huge mix of police, nurses and teachers so were more than ok going with a Friday.
  • smatuzasmatuza member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm doing it on a friday and my price difference between friday and saturday was $60 a plate!  that really adds up when you are inviting 300 people!
    Anniversary
    my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yea.... I think I am going to definitely do the Friday. It just makes so much more sense than losing thousands of dollars.
  • edited December 2011
    another Friday bride here!! It was def a savings since we are getting married in May
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • edited December 2011
    im getting married on a friday too!! i couldnt believe how much cheaper everything was!! in addition to the reception venues, many other vendors (djs, limos, photographers, etc) offer discounted rates if you book them for a friday...

when we decided on a friday, my only concern was the rehearsal & rehearsal dinner being on a thursday because there are a few people in our wedding party from out of town, but we talked to them first & they said it wouldnt be a big deal for them to take a half day on thurs & then take off on friday to make a long weekend out of it...

good luck & happy planning!!
    Maggie & Lucas
    July 15, 2011
    Visit HudsonValley.Weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    As a guest, Friday weddings are hard for me because I do not get out of work until 7 or so, and I work in the city, so getting in and out of Manhattan quickly is tough.  However, not everyone is in my position and I imagine some people would like to take the afternoon off for a wedding.
     I also think a Save the Date would help guests plan ahead for a Friday wedding if they do need to take time off to attend.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Little Spitfire from a guests point of view. I totally get why ppl choose Friday nights, but ppl like me have very limited # of vacatioin days to use, and my Fi mainly works on a free-lance basis so if he doesn't show up he doesn't get paid, so it is very tough that way when it comes to work.

But of course not everyone is in a position like ours. This year we have 3 Friday night Weddings (and a Sunday night so we need the following Monday off) with our wedding this year also (and therefore HM) I just don't don't know how we are going to do this! I don't have that much time to use :-/
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sat June bride
    lol =)

• foru2nv707foru2nv707 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a Friday fall bride. Just send out save the dates to give everyone a heads up that they need to leave work early that day
  • .jae..jae. member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having ours on a Friday only because we wanted to get married on July 2 (both our parents' wedding anniversaries) and we didn't want to wait until 2011 when it would fall on a Saturday.

Most of the weddings I've been to recently have been friends of ours, and mostly all on Fridays. To be honest, I love Friday weddings because you can sleep in the next day and still have the weekend ahead of you. Some people wouldn't be able to make the ceremony, depending how early you have it, but that's a personal choice and if they are close to you, they will make it work.

That's basically how I look at it. I'm having the ceremony as late as possible (6:30pm) to try and accommodate all the people who have work on Friday. (Mostly everyone.) I understand not everyone will be able to make it, (at least to the ceremony), but I also know that the people who want to be there will make the effort and that's all I can ask for.

Plus who doesn't love an excuse to skip out of work early on a Friday ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards