Michigan-Detroit
Options

s/o Honeymoon Help

So the honeymoon post below got me thinking:  how did you choose your honeymoon location?

FI and I know we want to go somewhere in the Caribbean/Mexico but have no idea how to narrow it down.  Neither of us have been and don't know what we are looking for except that we want an all-inclusive with fantastic beaches. 

I don't do well with too many options so this is becoming quite overwhelming for me.  There are just too many places and too many hotels!  Ahh any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: s/o Honeymoon Help

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This is how we narrowed it down:

-First, I researched a little bit to know what general prices were.  We set a budget  (3k for a week... we ended up doing 2500, though) and from there that narrowed the search.
    -We knew we wanted all inclusive
    -We knew that we didn't want a long flight or layovers, or to spend tons of money on the flight itself.  I researched flights.  For us, this quickly narrowed it down to Mexico.  Flights to other places were either MUCH more expensive or took forever to get their for the dates I was searching.
    -DH did not want Cancun (for whatever reason, I've heard of some great resorts there!) so that was out
    -Then, we decided some little things we wanted.  I wanted a nice room with a nice bathtub or jacuzzi, DH wanted a few little things that I don't remember off the top of my head.

I started checking tripadvisor, allinclusiveoutlet and talked to a travel agent.  And, from there, just took a look at pricing.  Tripadvisor is great to see real pictures of the resorts.  Obviously, every resort looks great on the resort's website, but this gives you a better idea of what it's really like.

FWIW, we went to the Royal in Playa del Carmen and LOVED it.  I would highly recommend it to anyone.  Just let me know if you want to know more about it or see pics.

I've also heard great things about the Excellence resorts and Palace resorts.  The honeymoon board on here is good for ideas, too. 

Whoa, that was long.  Sorry about that!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Abbey! We knew we wanted Caribbean/Mexico. So we went to a AAA and got books for that area (if you don't have AAA go to any Travel Agent).  After looking at that we realized we wanted an All Inclusive that was adult only.  That narrowed it down a bit for us.  We find 3 we really liked then started stalking Trip Advisor like crazy for reviews and pictures on those 3 resorts.  That narrowed it down to 2 that had the best resorts then we went to a travel agent who we knew was great, lots of people we knew used her (let me know if you want her name, she was the cheapest around I checked a bunch).  She gave us lots of info on the 2 we really liked. We were deciding between the Excellence Riviera Cancun and the Valentin Impreial Maya.  She said the both are great and that The Excellence has a great rate of return visitors so we decided to go with that one because of what she said and it had the better of the reviews on trip advisor!

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    July--Those 2 resorts were in our top choices as well!  Great minds think alike : )
  • Options
    courtney1188courtney1188 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I decided when I was about 7 where I wanted to go on my honeymoon, haha. And amazingly enough found a guy who likes the idea of going to Disney World for our honeymoon. We will totally be wearing the minnie and mickey ears with the veil and top hat, and the just married buttons. I'm super excited! Also making a stop to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter =)
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My answer won't answer you as well as the above, so no point in giving it. However, the processes mentioned above are exactly what I've been doing.

As for us, we are waiting until about 3-4 months beforehand, only because our wedding is so far out, and either before or after the 10th anniversary of 9/11, so we want to watch the international travel picture a bit better.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Abbey-Our great minds must be alike! Our process of picking was about the same too! Did you go on any excursions or stay at the resort the same time?

• Options
    Melgor78Melgor78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We knew we wanted to go somewhere warm and fi had been there before, so he did some research on the resorts and picked one with the best reviews.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    July--We went on two excursions.  One day, we went snorkeling... they took us out in the ocean, then in a senote (like a quarry) and then in a cave.  We had a GREAT time snorkeling.  For the other one, we went to Tulum, the Mayan ruins.  It was okay... I would have regreted not going since we were so close, but it was VERY hot and very crowded.  I'm glad we just went on a half day excursion for that one.  It was $250 total for both excursions for DH and I.  We just booked through the people at the resort when we got there, and they had tons of other things to choose from as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards