Michigan-Detroit

are you/did you open your gifts at your shower?

Whew just got done with my shower today...Turned out fabulous!
But i think i really disapointed some people because i didn't want to open my gifts in front of everyone.  We did the shower at a winery so everyone bottled one to take home and had all the wine they could drink.  I thought that would be enough to keep people busy for a few hours.  I mean really i can only ooo and awww so much!  My FI wasn't there (he was out of town) i may have been more brave if i wasn't up there doing it alone.  But i had terrible stage fright!
So what are your plans or what did you already do?  Were/are people dissapointed in your decision?

Re: are you/did you open your gifts at your shower?

• sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I think that the bride should open the gifts at her shower. I plan on doing it at mine. My thought is that if my guests cared enough to spend their hard earned money on buying a gift for me, and cared enough to come to my shower and spend a few hours of their valuable time with me I should thank them by opening their gifts and showing appreciation for their time and thoughtfulness.

Sounds like you had a more non-traditional type shower so maybe people were kept busy with the bottling of the wine, but if I were a guest, I personally would have been bummed that I didn't get to see you open my gift. I love watching brides open gifts and seeing how excited they get about getting things they were really hoping for.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Kimbus 87Kimbus 87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Were going to open them. FI won't be there for the food or stupid, I mean wonderful games but will arrive for gifts. They're not my gifts they're our gifts so I suggested that he be there -- which he was ok with.
  • Jacks21583Jacks21583 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, will open our gifts at the shower so we can personally thank our guests in addition to a follow-up thank you card.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, we're going to open them in front of everyone.

Like Kim said, it sounds like you had a more unconventional style of shower which I personally would have loved. 

Personally, I wouldn't care either way if you opened the gifts or not at your winery shower... I would have been satisfied with the wine drinking to keep me busy.  But, I think it would have been different at a regular/venue shower.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We will be opening gifts in front of our guests. Honestly, if I went to a shower where the bride didn't open the gifts, I'd be p!ssed. People spend the money, get it wrapped, take time out of their lives for a shower (which most people hate anyway), and you don't open gifts in front of them? That wouldn't sit well for me or alot of other people that are invited to my shower. It's a way of thanking them for the gifts. I think its a little impersonal to not open the gifts. Also, I know alot of people like to see what you get.

Like pp said though, it does sound like you had a very non-traditional shower. I'm sure your guests liked the idea of the whole wine thing. That sounds cool.

FI will be at our shower. The gifts are not just for me, they are for him as well. He won't be there the entire time, just after lunch to help with the gifts.
  • leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will definitely open our gifts at the shower (FI will be there also).  I have never been to a shower where the gifts weren't opened.  I love seeing what everyone gave and I like seeing the bride/mom-to-be get all happy and excited when seeing the gifts.  That's the best part of the shower, in my opinion.  I feel like you might as well just mail the gift if you're not going to see the person open it anyway.

We recently threw one of my BMs a baby shower and after she was done opening all of her gifts, she got teary-eyed and choked up when she was thanking everyone because she felt so loved and spoiled.  Everyone could totally tell just how much she appreciated their generosity.  It was really cute.   

I really love the type of shower that you had!  It's different and It sounds really enjoyable for the guests, but I would still be bummed if you didn't open my gift there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • mink492mink492 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of not opening gifts at a shower & like pps said, I'd be irritated since I took the time to pick out a gift & come. Plus I like seeing what everyone else brought.
  • Blueyes122299Blueyes122299 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. When I had my baby shower I was huge and uncomfortable and did not want to open my gifts but I knew that people would want to see what I got, and they cared enough to come so I did. I actually found out after the shower that a few guests were upset because I didn't lift the gifts high enough for them to see that I opened their gift! So yes I will def. be opening my gifts at wedding shower!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • rubyluvrubyluv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well all i can say is whoops...i can't take it back now...so let this be a lesson for anyone else considering this.  Thanks ladies
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, but that had to have been an really nice shower not having to open all those gifts. I can see where people would feel bad about you not opening the gifts
  • Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs.  Even though it can be annoying to watch, I will be opening the gifts at my shower.

Not to be harsh, but I would be extremely upset if I went to a shower and the gifts weren't opened.  I spent my time, money, and effort to buy a gift and attend the shower -- and I would like to see them open my gift.  And yes, I know that I was rewarded with food, and most likely a favor, but showers can still be a hassle as a guest and I would like to get a personal thank you and/or see them open my gift.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • plessjmplessjm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard of people not opening their gifts but I plan on opening them for my shower. I didn't open them at my engagement party unless they requested me too and it was done not in front of the other guests because a gift wasn't necessary.

MY fiance will be there but there is a seperate room with a tv and and everything at the venue so he is planning on inviting the guys in the WP as the girls play the ever so wanted games and such. Feel the same way.. they are both of our gifts and should be done together.

People might feel better after you send out the Thank You cards and you are super specific in thanking them for the gift and how you can't wait to use it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards