Michigan-Detroit
Options

Tell Us Tuesday!

What has surprised you about wedding planning?  What has been relatively easy that you thought was going to be difficult?  What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy?  Favorite part?  Least favorite part?

Re: Tell Us Tuesday!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?  How involved in it FI is/wants to be!  It's actually really nice to have it be a joint process, even if it means I have to compromise.  That's what marriage is about, right?
    What has been relatively easy that you thought was going to be difficult?   Finding a dress.  I was dreading it, but went to two stores, tried on 12 dresses, and had one I was happy with.
    What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy? Rehearsal dinner.  Why this is taking us longer to figure out than the reception, I'm not sure.  Well actually, I am sure...FI is running the show on that, and he and his parents are very slow and particular.
    Favorite part?   Probably picking out flowers.  My florist was so good/excited she took me from knowing and caring nothing about them, to being really excited about them.
    Least favorite part?  Dealing with family expectations.  Everyone has an opinion, and most are not like mine.  It's really exposed some issues that I have communicating with FI's parents.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?  Our budget actually got bigger.  I was surprised to see that.  

What has been relatively easy that you thought was going to be difficult? So far, the DIY stuff hasn't been too bad.  

What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy?  Picking our vendors other than the location.  Ladies, your good reviews just make things so much more difficult and confusing, lol.  I think we have it narrowed down though.  

Favorite part?  The little details.  

Least favorite part?  Going to talk to our priest has just been difficult.  I'm nervous and anxious at the thought of just making the appointment.  We're still procrastinating.  

BabyFruit Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker Our Bio Bridesmaid Dresses July 2012 November Siggy: Bridesmaid Dresses!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?  
    How expensive everything is!  I am not so willing to shell out all this money just for one day (even though it is a very important day!) so I've worked hard to find as many deals as I could.

What has been relatively easy that you thought was going to be difficult?
    Choosing a venue.  We only looked at 2.

What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy?  
    Choosing an officiant!

Favorite part?  
    Planning our honeymoon :)

Least favorite part?
    Disagreeing with FI on so many things.  We have very different tastes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?  The cost. Some things are way cheaper than I thought and some are way more expensive. Oh, and the time I spend researching everything!

What has been relatively easy that you thought was going to be difficult?  Choosing a venue. I fell in love with mine when I first saw it. Went to two others to compare, but went right back and booked my venue.

What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy?  The photographer. I talked to 17 photographers before booking mine.

Favorite part?  Everytime I do something wedding related I think about FI and I. Like, when I bought the dress, I pictured the first time he sees me walking down the aisle and when I was registering I pictured me making dinner for our family. I'm super duper sappy.

Least favorite part?  Negotiating.  That's when I call in FI, he's really good at it and I wind up getting what I want :) 
  • Options
    Glambride09Glambride09 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?  Lots of things surprised me.  First, that FI wants to be really involved.  Also, our budget tripled once we selected the venue.  I was not expecting that.  Finally, I have no idea what I want to look like on my wedding day...I always thought I did.  Hmmm.

Selecting a cake.  We tried several but the best tasting/best price turned out to be one in the same.  Easy decision.

What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy? Picking a venue and finding a dress. 

Favorite part?  
    So far, my favorite part has been the meetings with our wedding planner.  She makes me feel so at ease.

Least favorite part?
      Making the tough final decisions...I can narrow everything down to 2 or 3 options, but that final committment is proving very difficult.
    Venue: Book Cadillac imageimage
  • Options
    sasha213swsasha213sw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?  The costs of venues. We must have looked at more then 15 places that all were crazy expensive.

What has been relatively easy that you thought was going to be difficult? Planning with FI. He is being so awesome, supportive and HONEST about things. If he doesn't like something, he tells me in a nice way. Normally he just says "whatever you think". It's nice to get the input. 

What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy? FMIL. I am surprised at how very opinionated she is on somethings and other things she acts like she doesn't care.

Favorite part?  Checking things off the to do list! I'm really early in my planning so I don't get that feeling often!

Least favorite part? Dealing with vendors. FI is so great with people I tend to let him take over setting up appts. and meetings and such. Plus he has no shame about asking for discounts and negotiating
    image 223 Invited
    image 127 Wouldn't miss it
    image 64 Passed on the fun
    image 32 Still undecided
    RSVP Date: August 1, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?  How involed FI want to be. Originally he said "pick everything" but as i pick things he disagrees or want something different lol. I enjoy him wanting to be involved BUT he's involved when it's convient for him. it's kind of annoying :)
    What has been relatively easy that you thought was going to be difficult?  Finding a photographer. i found a great one for a great price. i just need to put a deposit down :)
    What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy? Originally i thought 'we' wanted/agreed on small... well that quickly grew to +50 (and counting) more guest, a different feel with the hall and so much more lol
    Favorite part?   Researching. i work from home and have a lot of down time so it's been fun researching different ideas and finding ways to make them as cheap as possible.
    Least favorite part?  disappointing family. We aren't having a wedding party with family/friends (just FI's kids) so that's been hard news and the date.. we LOVE our date but i wish it was a weekend... but oh well :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?  At first I was surprised to find out exactly how much everything costs.  Once that set in though I was (and still am) surprised by how much my FI wants to be involved in everything.

What has been relatively easy that you thought was going to be difficult?  Finding a venue and photographer.  We only looked at 4 venues and instantly knew which one we wanted after we left the one we picked.  We also lucked out into finding an amazing photographer that gave us an unbeatable deal.

What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy?  Finding a DJ.  I can't believe how many charge $1000+ a night and can't balance the speakers correctly so it sounds terrible.

Favorite part?  Researching.  I love looking at everything and getting full ideas, or being able to tweek things so they work for us (and our budget).

Least favorite part? Family.  My FI doesn't want his brother (and his wife) there at all due to a long story of family drama.  My mom has also hated every idea I've said to her (but she is starting to turn around).
  • Options
    courtney1188courtney1188 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?
    How casual FI's mom wants things to be - she said she thought it was going to be nice that we were having a more formal wedding. But then when I talk about things like save the dates she asks why I need them and says to just e-mail people. Um, what?

Talking FI into a Disney World honeymoon!

What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy?

A lot of things, haha! Picking flowers, I though I'd be totally not picky but I was wrong. Finding a venue with a neutral color scheme that didn't cost a million dollars.

Favorite part?
    Our photographer! I'm super excited about working with Amy. Sammichele, my FI is super sick of seeing your e-pics, since every time I go to check our her website I end up looking at yours and being like 'Aren't they so good?! I hope ours look that good'.

Least favorite part?
    Guest list. Both parents want to invite people we barely know, which doesn't really jive with the intimate feel I was originally picturing. I'm mostly over it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?  How formal our wedding is turning out to be...which is nice, but a bit of a surprise because FI is more of a casual guy and our budget is on the (what I consider) smaller side.

This is *kind of* wedding related...but merging bank accounts with FI has gone very smooth.  We created a budget that will have all of our debt (excluding student loans) paid off before the wedding, while putting money away for the wedding itself and putting a little more away into savings.  I was nervous about this big-time...but I'm actually really excited.

What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy? Deciding on invites.  I thought we found what we wanted...but now I'm thinking it's too casual.  I'm debating on DIY'ing, but not sure if it will look nice enough or if it'll end up costing more than buying.  I just can't seem to pull the trigger.

Favorite part?  My sister has been wonderful and I feel like the wedding and my marriage to FI is bringing us closer.  We've been spending a lot of time together lately (non-wedding related) and it's been great.

Least favorite part?  Having to cut down the guest list.  We are capped at 120...sent STD's to 124 and have another 26 that we'd love to invite.  I'm hoping we'll hear from some soon if they know they can't make it, so I can plan on inviting the others.
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What has surprised you about wedding planning?  How crazy my parents have been over retarded stuff
    What has been relatively easy that you thought was going to be difficult?   Finding a reception venue
    What has been difficult that you thought was going to be easy? Finding a church to marry us in!
    Favorite part?   Dress shopping and hair/makeup trial
    Least favorite part?  Dealing with family expectations and arguments over menu, etc
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards