Michigan-Detroit
Options

NWR: How Much Are Your Utilities?

FI and I are trying to make a final decision between four apartments we like in Westland, Canton and Plymouth.  Some are a little more expensive per month, but some include utilities and others don't.  At the moment, our rents include all utilities except electric - so we have no idea how much we might actually be saving by having utilities included.  So...

If you pay for your utilities in an apartment, how much do you pay per month for gas and/or water? 

Thanks for your help, knotties!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: How Much Are Your Utilities?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    When I lived in apartments gas usually ran 20-30/month. never had to pay water for an apartment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    missmelanie81missmelanie81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alot of Apartments dont charge you for gas, but thats because they dont have anything that runs on gas. THe furnace and stove and air are all electric. When I did live in an apartment years ago I just had to pay for electric, not water or gas (though like I said nothing ran on gas)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I do DTE's budget wise billing and pay about $100/month year-round for electric, which includes my central AC, heat, and general electricity. I could probably pay a little less but have a balance because I started out paying way below my usage. (the downside of the program!) Depending on rent, I think it pays to go with a place that includes heat at least. If I wasn't paying for that, my bill would be closer to $30-$50/month. Electricity on it's own really isn't expensive. It's the heat bill that kills ya.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have to pay for all utilities in our apartment in Novi

Water is set at $19.95/month

Gas is Consumer's, with our highest bill being $122 (Feb) and lowest $31 (this month). We have all gas appliances, but keep in mind we were gone most of May for our honeymoon.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We pay for everything at our apartment in Rochester and its really not THAT bad...

For a 1200sq ft apartment- $30 bucks for water, $45- 60 for electric, $80 bucks in the winter and $20 in the summer for gas and thats all per month...

Now remember if you get an END unit your going to be paying more in gas to heat it because a lot of apartments aren't properly insulated, our neighbor who has an end unit paid about $120 for gas in the winter and we have the same size apartment and they kept it at 69 degrees just like us...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on the apartment complex, how efficient it is, if you're on the top or bottom floor, etc.

I rented a duplex in Ferndale and my utilities were included in rent, so, I had no idea how much they were. FI owns a house Birmingham - water is around $100 per bill (I think it's in 3 month increments) and electric is $120 per month (because I leave all the lights on and constantly run the AC). I have no clue what the gas bill is.
  • Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, guys.  :)  It was really helpful to see so many varied answers - and so many ideas about things that might affect the size of the bill.  Now off to make a decision!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Kristen1114Kristen1114 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_nwr-much-utilities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:7c2e3dcb-f51a-40a9-9486-b0723d54995bPost:23878c08-19fb-41cd-87c8-1e18c6972dca">Re: NWR: How Much Are Your Utilities?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We pay for everything at our apartment in Rochester and its really not THAT bad... For a 1200sq ft apartment- $30 bucks for water, $45- 60 for electric, $80 bucks in the winter and $20 in the summer for gas and thats all per month... Now remember if you get an END unit your going to be paying more in gas to heat it because a lot of apartments aren't properly insulated, our neighbor who has an end unit paid about $120 for gas in the winter and we have the same size apartment and they kept it at 69 degrees just like us...
    Posted by NBS308[/QUOTE]

NBS - where do you live? Sounds kinda like my place... though unfortunately we pay way more in gas... grrrr!
  • Options
    Kristen1114Kristen1114 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking at multiple places, MAKE SURE you find out what rent includes! I LOVE the apartment we are in now, but it definitely didn't turn out to the "deal" we thought it was once utilities were factored in.  You may even be able to get copies of past utility bills if you ask the complex or the utility company for avreages at that complex. 

Our apartment is 1700ish square feet and we pay about $100 a month for electricity and our gas bill was over $200 all winter (highest was closer to $300) and it was probably never warmer than 65 degrees in here.  We also pay about $35/month for trash, water and sewer, which at most places is included.  Not to mention they force us to have the crappiest cable known to man, so just be sure you have all the facts! 

Good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards