Michigan-Detroit
Options

Mrs. Maddox Cakes - Heads up

Ladies - Mrs. Maddox Cakes has run into a bit of trouble with the IRS.  Not sure what their status is as a business, but my venue just called me and said they will not honor contracts with Mrs. Maddox anymore.  So, I'm off to find a new cake vendor! 

Side note to those of you familiar with my previous cake escapades:  This is the worst wedding cake ever.  Damn the cake!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Mrs. Maddox Cakes - Heads up

• Options
    SarahP83SarahP83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Elite Sweets in Livonia or Josef's European Pastry Shop in Grosse Pointe Woods.  Two of my friends used these vendors and their cake was delicious AND inexpensive.  I plan to go to both of these places for quotes myself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks... I have to go through a place that my venue accepts, so I've got one last option to try.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love Josefs and am using them. It's also a great place to stop and get a coffee and a croissant on a lazy Saturday morning :)
  • Options
    jolla92126jolla92126 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_mrs-maddox-cakes-heads-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:7cf1165d-20ae-434b-a3ec-9a5075aadccfPost:5303502d-e21c-4e7b-8868-521ef9918230">Re: Mrs. Maddox Cakes - Heads up</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks... I have to go through a place that my venue accepts, so I've got one last option to try.
    Posted by zulamay[/QUOTE]
    At less than 4 weeks out, I would tell my venue to stuff it. Following them got you in this jam in the first place.

Good luck!
  • Options
    cmusmiles85cmusmiles85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry! I grew up having Mrs. Maddox's cakes and they're actually making my cake for my bridal shower that's this weekend.
    Anniversary Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_mrs-maddox-cakes-heads-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:7cf1165d-20ae-434b-a3ec-9a5075aadccfPost:fdf055ee-4a27-43b2-a6b1-ec98a2e3d7c5">Re: Mrs. Maddox Cakes - Heads up</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mrs. Maddox Cakes - Heads up : At less than 4 weeks out, I would tell my venue to stuff it. Following them got you in this jam in the first place. Good luck!
    Posted by jolla92126[/QUOTE]

<div>The cake rolls up to my minimum spend so it's advantageous for me to go with a place that they approve.  If we go with someplace else, then I end up falling short of my minimum and will have bigger issues.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_mrs-maddox-cakes-heads-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:7cf1165d-20ae-434b-a3ec-9a5075aadccfPost:3745cb70-b496-40b6-8675-4cbe3ca5e649">Re: Mrs. Maddox Cakes - Heads up</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so sorry! I grew up having Mrs. Maddox's cakes and they're actually making my cake for my bridal shower that's this weekend.
    Posted by cmusmiles85[/QUOTE]

<div>Have you had any issues contacting them?  I just want to make sure they are still in business.  My venue wasn't sure because they are closed today...I still need to cancel my contract with them.</div>
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_mrs-maddox-cakes-heads-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:7cf1165d-20ae-434b-a3ec-9a5075aadccfPost:8282cf01-7806-4147-8893-72f49b47c9ba">Re: Mrs. Maddox Cakes - Heads up</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mrs. Maddox Cakes - Heads up : Have you had any issues contacting them?  I just want to make sure they are still in business.  <strong>My venue wasn't sure because they are closed today...</strong>I still need to cancel my contract with them.
    Posted by zulamay[/QUOTE]

....most bakeries are closed on Mondays....
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear this. Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    cmusmiles85cmusmiles85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom booked the cake about 2 weeks ago if that helps.
    Anniversary Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Holiday Market in Royal oak but they may be booked but I'm not sure. Good luck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I called this morning to see what was going on, and Mrs. Maddox is open for business. They told me that they have new ownership.  So I have no clue what is really going on, the new owner is going to call me later today.  Right now FI and I are talking about just canceling the cake and ordering a dessert buffet instead.  It has cookies, cupcakes, brownies, cheesecakes, and some other things.  phhhtttt...will figure this out evenutally!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards