Michigan-Detroit
Options

first look

Hi Ladies!

I hate being superstitious, but I always imagined that I would see my finacee for the first time on the wedding day as i walked down the aisle. But alas, we are have a 4:00 ceremony (full catholic mass) and the reception will be immediately following at 5:30. There will be very little time in between for pictures and I do not want to be rushed. I talked to a few firends who did photos betore the ceremony and had the 'first look' was just the two of them and photographer. They said they are so glad they did it. But I am still nervous about it.

What are you all doing? Help me feel better about this!

Re: first look

• Options
    Melgor78Melgor78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Were not have a first look.  We both like the idea of the first time being walking down the aisle.  We did an afternoon ceremony so we would have time for pictures after.  I think it's a personal preference.  I'm not doing it because of tradition it's just how I always imagined it would be.  If we didn't have enough time after the ceremony I might consider having a first look and pictures before.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

We aren't traditional about much, but we really liked the idea of us not seeing each other until the ceremony, so we did not do a first look.

We had the ceremony at 5pm, it was over by 5:20, followed by a pew dismissal that ended about 5:50.  The parents and guests then headed right over to the reception (about 100 steps away) for appetizers while the bridal party hung around to take pictures.  We took pictures with the bridal party until about 6:30 and then went to get some appetizers.  Then Andy and I took pictures until about 6:50 and we headed over to the hall to freshen up and our grand entrance was at 7:15.  The reception was from 6pm-midnight so we missed the first hour, but our parents were there for mingling -- I wouldn't have changed a thing.

With that being said, first looks are fairly common.  You can still have that "WOW" moment by having a formal reveal.  I will admit, it makes the whole picture taking thing easier if you are willing to see each other first.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a first look. For a few reasons, 1) we were having a 5:30 ceremony in early October and knew we wouldn't have much time (sunlight) for pictures afterwards. And 2) I knew I was going to be a basketcase before the ceremony. I had anxiety about being the center of attention for months leading up to the wedding and I was all freaked out about people looking at me (dumb,but whatever). I knew that I wanted to see DH before the wedding so that he could calm my nerves. It was a great choice for us. We did our reveal with just us and our photographer and videographer, exchanged our gifts to each other, and did about 20 min of pictures before the ceremony. 

I realize lots of people don't do a first look and it's really your preference. I never really thought I would want to do one until it was my wedding and I really sat down and thought about it.  I'm very glad that we did it this way, but it's really something that you and FI should discuss and agree on together (and don't let anyone try and change your mind once you've made your decision! Trust me, they will)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:87fbb10a-5716-457c-bc6f-cb0e034e4edaPost:8b0a67ba-c6e0-48fc-9699-a966525c59c4">Re: first look</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did a first look. For a few reasons, 1) we were having a 5:30 ceremony in early October and knew we wouldn't have much time (sunlight) for pictures afterwards. And 2) I knew I was going to be a basketcase before the ceremony. I had anxiety about being the center of attention for months leading up to the wedding and I was all freaked out about people looking at me (dumb,but whatever). I knew that I wanted to see DH before the wedding so that he could calm my nerves. It was a great choice for us. We did our reveal with just us and our photographer and videographer, exchanged our gifts to each other, and did about 20 min of pictures before the ceremony.  I realize lots of people don't do a first look and it's really your preference. I never really thought I would want to do one until it was my wedding and I really sat down and thought about it.  I'm very glad that we did it this way, but it's really something that you and FI should discuss and agree on together (and don't let anyone try and change your mind once you've made your decision! Trust me, they will)
    Posted by sunkissed212[/QUOTE]

Same here. October wedding, not much day light after the ceremony and I was so nervous before the ceremony that I almost barfed. I can't imagine what I would have been like had we not done a first look. And trust me, it was still just as special as seeing each other when I walked down the isle.

Also, being rushed really gives me anxiety so not having to rush (as much anyways) after the ceremony was nice.
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    edited December 2011
    We did not do a first look, and I really wish we had. Our ceremony was at 4:00; cocktail hour started at 5 and dinner was served at 6.

DH is very traditional and absolutely did not want to see me before the ceremony. I felt rushed the entire time after the ceremony into the reception and didn't feel like we had any time to "take it all in". I agree with Julie and know there is still that "wow" factor if you do a first look. Several friends and family members have done this at their weddings and looked just as happy when the bride walked down the aisle.

Go with your gut and what you think will work.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This was one of the things FI was adament about:  no first look.  He wants the first time he sees me as I'm walking down the aisle.  I'm indifferent about it.  I love the idea of that being the first time he sees me but I'm with Kim, I think I will be a basketcase and need him to calm me down.  We aren't doing one but I wouldn't be opposed to doing one either.
  • Options
    sarcrosarcro member
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding is in May and we are doing a first look. At first I was completely against it! After thinking about it, it's great because it gives you more time for pictures and a little alone time with your soon to be husband. I'm excited about the point where it's just the two of us, with our photographer, who can capture the moments that no one else will have seen. I know I am going to feel less rushed and flustered.

I too, am going to be a mess before the ceremony. I'm hoping that with the first look, I won't be completely balling my eyes out before the actual ceremony.

I think it's going to be a good choice for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:87fbb10a-5716-457c-bc6f-cb0e034e4edaPost:be06ec05-e309-49f3-be05-c6e75dedb28f">Re: first look</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our wedding is in May and we are doing a first look. At first I was completely against it! After thinking about it, it's great because it gives you more time for pictures and a little alone time with your soon to be husband. I'm excited about the point where it's just the two of us, with our photographer, who can capture the moments that no one else will have seen. I know I am going to feel less rushed and flustered. I too, am going to be a mess before the ceremony. I'm hoping that with the first look, I won't be completely balling my eyes out before the actual ceremony. I think it's going to be a good choice for us.
    Posted by sarcro[/QUOTE]

I totally didn't think I would cry, it never even crossed my mind in fact. We both cried during our first look and didn't at the ceremony. Just another reason I'm glad we did it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married June 2011 and are doing a first look.  I never thought I'd want to (really, I didn't even know what it was until I dug into the wedding planning process) but after looking into it and thinking a lot about it... i think it's the best choice for us.  We are traditional, but pictures are just so important to me that I don't want to be rushed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards