Michigan-Detroit
Options

AW and ugh! (invitations)

I picked up my invitations on Saturday and I love them. They came out perfect and I couldn't be happier....that is until I took one to the post office and the lady told me I would need two 64 cent stamps per invitation! They meet the weight for one stamp, but since they wouldn't fit through that plastic slot measuring thing I have to use two stamps. I don't understand what I did wrong with the invites, I've received similar-sized invitations (pockets w/ inserts) and they only had one stamp.

Oh well. In the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world, I'm just bummed that my postage cost just instantly doubled :(

I'm also bummed because I want to PIP but can't because I'm in Canada and my phone isn't sending messages :(

Re: AW and ugh! (invitations)

• Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could you maybe take them to another post office to see what they say?  I know it shouldn't happen, but I know that things can vary from post office to post office.

But yay! I can't wait to see them!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bummer!  Can we see pics of the fabulous invites?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another vote for pics.  Also...nervous bride would like to know: what are the dimensions of this mysterious and angrifying slot???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Same thing happened to me.  I took mine in and they said I would need 2 stamps.  Then my FMIL took them to another post office and they only needed one 64 cent stamp. 
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    awe what a bummer :( But at least your invites will be beautiful!! thats very important :) it sets the tone for your wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Add me to the 64 cent group! I was so not happy with the post office. But my stamps are pretty! Silver lining right??

Mine fit through the slot and I thought I was in the clear then she said "oops, let me weigh it" And that's how they got me.

Sorry lady. They have nice stamps though.. And they match our wedding colors!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the advice :) When I'm back in town I'll post a pic and double check with another post office.

The invite size is a little odd, the outer envelope is a #12 policy size (I think it's 4.25 x 10).

Melissa - when you bring in a letter, they weigh it on the scale and then they bring out this plastic placemat looking thing that has a cut out slot on it. If the letter fits through the slot on it's own, then you're good. If not, then you get to join the $1.28 per invitation club like me :( I'm not sure of the exact dimensions. It's the thickness of the invitations that was the problem for me (tri-fold pocket mailers with inserts, rsvp and envelope, inner envelopes, and outer envelopes).

• Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Funny story - my boss just received on of those placemat things at work today.  She was showing it to me and I was like "AH!  The mysterious slot thingie!"   So now I'm totally bringing an invite to work and testing it out.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was inspired by this post and went to the PO - I ended up with 64 cents each.  The weight threw me over - I just barely made it through the slot!  They need "if it fits it ships" wedding invitations.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_aw-ugh-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:a378c3f6-56b6-4a48-b4b4-23cbc78c2b3fPost:b220d8f1-57dd-49bc-9d8a-07dd43fe4546">Re: AW and ugh! (invitations)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another vote for pics.  Also...nervous bride would like to know: what are the dimensions of this mysterious and angrifying slot???
    Posted by matuofm[/QUOTE]

Hahaha!  All I thought when I read this was "Dun Dun Dunnnnn!"  Hahaha its true though!  How ARE we supposed to know about this "slot"!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm pretty sure the dimensions are 6" x 9" and under 1 oz. to qualify for a regular 44 cent stamp. If either dimension is larger, it will take more postage. As well, if it's an odd shape (square) or has a rigid object or something sticking out in the envelope (like large gems and ribbon knots), it can make the postage go up as well.

• Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bummer about the postage.

I also agree that we need pics!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards