Michigan-Detroit
Options

Confessions/Vents

Re: Confessions/Vents

• Options
    PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Confession:  I am not ready for the Daughters of the American Revolution meeting today!  I have to install one person and give memorial services for two people.  I may also mention that one member's husband is in intensive care after being hit by a dead limb and another member broke her arm.

Anyhow, I haven't decided on what to wear, take a shower and wash my hair or anything!

Vent:  A bit pissed at Dan.  He was supposed to come over to my house for Labor Day after visiting with his mom.  Didn't even call.

Also, I don't know how I did it, but I bent the head on my e-ring!  I took it in for a cleaning/inspection and that's when I got the news.  They will have it until tomorrow.  Don't know if I will tell Dan or not.

Yesterday was just a bad day - PERIOD!  Forgot my B-12 for the shot so I had to go back home and get it, then when I went to Sam's they wouldn't take the regular Visa and I had to use my debit card instead.  May be a blessing in disguise...
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I confess that this weekend was a challenge with the FI. We had several things to get done wedding-wise, which I really didn't think was A LOT, but still, it ended up being stressful and we bickered at every turn. From how long our honeymoon should be to whether we should rent a shuttle for our guests, everything was on the table. It was frustrating because he hasn't been involved in a lot of the intricate details of planning, and definitely has no clue where we're at with the budget. Because of all that, I've been going along, making a lot of decisions/assumptions that clearly were off base. 

Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am confessing that we are way over budget.  Embarassed   We had the $6000 that our parents gave us, we decided that we could have a perfectly good low-key wedding with that, so it would be irresponsible to spend more of our own money, since we didn't HAVE to. 

But a few months ago, we belatedly decided to spent about $2500 of our own money to get the photographer and the replacement gown.  We had the money, and it was worth it to us to make the day feel a little more special.

But when I finally finshed tallying up all the craft-supply receipts and random stuff yesterday, I discovered that we are $2500 over that.  Some of it was stuff that we hadn't anticipated wanting but bought anyway (FI had a surprise and desperate desire for a cake topper with two badgers on it) that we treated ourselves. Some of it was our rise in fanciness (once we decided I was wearing a real gown, we felt like we now needed real chairs instead of picnic blankets). Some of it was craft supplies broken or lost in the move that had to be replaced, and a bunch of it was because we budgeted a few big-ticket items based on the quotes we were given, and then purchased everything else based on the spending money we had left.  When it came time to nail down those big ticket items, however, the prices were wildly different than what we had been quoted.  The tent, for instance, we were planning on paying a 50% deposit and then cancelling the delivery on the day of if the weather was nice.  Instead, that option is no longer offered, so we have to pay the full price no matter what - and they tacked on another $150 because we want it set up on the day of instead of two days in advance - a policy that hadn't been mentioned when we got the quote. 

So I had to sit FI down and explain the situation to him last night.  I know that an $11,000 wedding is still well below average spending.   And it's not like we don't have the money.  But this'll definitely put us at a level of reduced savings that makes us both antsy.  And more than that, I'm just upset with myself because I feel like a failure.  It's simple to keep a budget and I just let it get out of control - and since the excel file was on my computer and I could have seen this coming some ways out, I definitely feel like it's ultimately MY fault and not OUR fault.  Thankfully, FI took it totally well.  We're going to lower spending on the few items that we had have left to buy (which were included in that $11,000 budget).  But overall, his opinion is that the money's already spent, and we're not going into debt, so we may as well just enjoy the wedding and not fret about it.  At least we're getting exactly what we want.  I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful husband-to-be.  But I'm still wracked with guilt. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Mel -- I feel ya. The budget was one of the MANY fights this weekend, and it ultimately led to a Sunday night meltdown on my part. Our budget is hefty, and we're grateful to have our family's help, so it's not even all of our money, but I'm still EXTREMELY antsy over spending that chunk of change on one day. FI is one who says "if we have the money, why not?" and I'm one that's more cautious. So, when his family asked why we weren't doing a shuttle and he told me we really should, even though we'd have to pay for it to be there the entire reception for just the 2 hours it'd probably actually be used for (something he doesn't understand because he's done no planning/researching), I about lost it. Correction, I did lose it :-)

Clearly, still venting. Ooi.

But seriously, your FI is right. If you're not going into debt over it, and you're getting the things you really want, it's OK. It may be one day, but it is a big day, and I'd say you've still done a good job of keeping the total cost within reason. Now just enjoy it!
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    crhein26crhein26 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have gotten a phone call from the same number 5 times in the last 24 hour period.  3 times in a row yesterday afternoon, once at 7:15am this morning and another one just now.  Apparently a mother gave MY cell number out as her contact number for her child and guess what, my name is NOT Rebecca and I don't have a child in an elementary school.  Kindly remove my number from your directory and STOP calling me!!!!  It could be a long school year if this keeps up!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Brian and Cori 11-19-11
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2 1/2 days of work left and I"m SO ANTSY!

Also, if my mom adds one more person to our final count (that we gave yesterday....) that she assumed wasn't coming and didn't actually call, heads are gonna roll!
  • Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Larz - so sooooon!  :D  I'm so amazed by you.  I'm in a total state of chicken-with-its-head-cut-off-wackiness.  So I can't even imagine what it must be like to have to go all the way across the country to do this.  You are my hero of the week.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-55?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:b61dacff-4a0d-427b-8a33-7af303345689Post:dbd917d1-253b-4a08-9469-25edabe79e81">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate having small feet.
    Posted by mtishawt[/QUOTE]

I love having small feet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    VENT: I just wish people would stop calling me. I sent the entire bridal party emails mapping out this weeks activities but I still keep getting the calls read your freaking email please and leave me alone.

Confession: I want this weekend to hurry up and get here FI has not really been involved in the planning process and he cant understand why my phone and email keep blowing up. He says why didn't i give his number as the contact and now I'm wishing I did so people could bother him and just leave me alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am feeling better now that I have cleaned my house from top to bottom it is shining like new money LOL
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-55?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:b61dacff-4a0d-427b-8a33-7af303345689Post:617a069a-ff16-4041-8746-748dc92a5c4f">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]Larz - so sooooon!  :D  I'm so amazed by you.  I'm in a total state of chicken-with-its-head-cut-off-wackiness.  So I can't even imagine what it must be like to have to go all the way across the country to do this.  You are my hero of the week.  :)
    Posted by matuofm[/QUOTE]

haha thanks... my mom keeps making little remarks about how she doesn't want to "set me off" and that I've "kept my cool so far"... really! that doesn't help mom!  I"m actually feeling calm but I'm going to go apeshit on you if you keep making comments like that!
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-55?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:b61dacff-4a0d-427b-8a33-7af303345689Post:47ffe54d-c297-4e2a-a351-fb7ccd97737b">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]VENT: I just wish people would stop calling me. I sent the entire bridal party emails mapping out this weeks activities but I still keep getting the calls read your freaking email please and leave me alone. Confession: I want this weekend to hurry up and get here FI has not really been involved in the planning process and he cant understand why my phone and email keep blowing up. <strong>He says why didn't i give his number as the contact</strong> and now I'm wishing I did so people could bother him and just leave me alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am feeling better now that I have cleaned my house from top to bottom it is shining like new money LOL
    Posted by shesheduke[/QUOTE]

SheShe, I understand your frustration.  My fi also suggested "why do we need a DOC, why don't they just call me?" and I was like "uh.... cuz you have no idea what is going on!" haha

Just breathe girl, you are almost there, and it is going to be an awesome day!
  • Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-55?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:b61dacff-4a0d-427b-8a33-7af303345689Post:25c0b7d8-8edb-4534-a9bb-96b49b451954">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions/Vents : haha thanks... my mom keeps making little remarks about how she doesn't want to "set me off" and that I've "kept my cool so far"... really! that doesn't help mom!  I"m actually feeling calm but I'm going to go apeshit on you if you keep making comments like that!
    Posted by larzhope[/QUOTE]

Ha!  Don't I know it....  I actually AM going crazy, but I'm spending a lot of time and energy working on NOT letting others see it and inflicting it on them.  So if you could just not out me constantly, family and friends, that'd be super.  Thankssomuch.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I keep alternating between total freak-out mode and calm and collected - like, within the same hour. It's like I'm having wedding freak-out contractions...they're getting closer together...I'd like my epidural now. I'm trying not to let anyone see me all crazy and I think it's making it worse.
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh ladies, you all are too cute with your last minute freak outs.  But think of it this way, if you get your freak outs done now, you'll be calm on your wedding day!

I seriously am so excited for your girls and cannot wait to see all the pictures!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards