Michigan-Detroit

Adults can't follow directions (RSVPs)

I'm starting to relate to third grade teachers.  You know when you're little and there are clear directions at the top of the page, and then your grade is based on how well you follow them?  My RSVPs are getting a nice fat F.  (Or, in the case of third grade, U for Unsatisfactory.)  I asked everyone to initial next to the item they wanted to eat - and I'm getting 1, 2s, and 3s next to the food items.  Of course I have no idea if Mr. or Mrs. wants the chicken or if they really meant the beef, because they wrote 1 chicken and 1 beef, instead of Mr. J wants chicken and Mrs. J wants beef.  There is going to be a lot of chaos at this wedding, and $10 that these people blame me for getting their food wrong! :)

The other thing that mystifies me is the people (mostly under 30) who decide to call me or hand my FI (who lives in Iowa) their RSVP instead of returning it in the pre-stamped and addressed envelope.  Our generation is hopeless when it comes to anything that doesn't involve a computer. :)
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Adults can't follow directions (RSVPs)

• larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ha! I went to a family wedding last night and two people handed me RSVPS (all my parents age) still with their pretty canadian stamp that I worked so hard to go get!

You know, I'm just happy i got it back ;)  I have a feeling I will be hunting down quite a few others - its okay with me that i have 2 less people to call.
  • matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're the other way around - we're doing online RSVP-ing (+ phone for those who aren't computer-savvy), and I'm starting to worry that we're going to be having call after call after call instead, from people who don't want to bother using the online service.  I guess we'll find out....  Soooo glad we're doing buffet-style apps and desserts and don't have to deal with the plated-dinner menu issues.  :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    So, my RSVP date was a week ago, and I had about 30 outstanding by the deadline.  I've worked it down to 4, so we're making progress.  But yeah, a lot of them (especially from people my age) came via email or word of mouth.

Also, I didn't have food choices, but Zulamay, I imagine that people on the same RSVP card (i.e., Mr. and Mrs. Jones) will be sitting together at your reception.  So if they get served the wrong meal, they can switch.  I think it'll be fine (although I totally get your annoyance).
  • baileyleevbaileyleev member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be so frustrated! With everything else going on who wants to deal with stuff like that!!! 

Good luck to you! And I agree with PP, they can always switch if they have to!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awwww date twin I am so sorry yes this is the frustrating part of the wedding planning experience.
    My deadline is coming up on the 10th and we only have 1/3 of the RSVP's back. I am so not going to hunt these people down if they didn't think enough to send the postage paid address envelope back then they don't need to be in attendance seriously why people why?

Also I am so glad that I put the coding system on the back of my response cards because I have gotten about 20 back with no names. WTF how am I supposed to know who you are person gosh.

Sorry to jack your post but the RSVP period sucks and even though everyone posted about it before hand I just didn't think it was going to suck this bad!
  • edited December 2011
    I have had the same problems.  I got one back stating what they wanted for dinner on the line provided for their name. 
    My reception venue said not to worry about knowing exactly what each person orders, as they send back their RSVP they have the names that will be on the place card.  So I will have symbols in the corner of the place cards what dinners they ordered, so their shouldn't be an issue.  The server will just ask the couple which one ordered which.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm lucky that everyone has put their name on the card so far (hoping not to jinx myself here, but I did code them just in case) and about 50% have returned their cards. Everyone will sit together and can switch meals, it just irks me because I'm making coded cards so everyone will have the right meal.   They're setting me up for failure before I even start, hehehe. 
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gosh, I"m glad we went with a buffet, LOL.

Fiance's best friend since grade school (who we invited, plus 1 in case he found a girlfriend) HANDED my fiance his RSVP, with himself, his son, his daughter AND HIS DAUGHTER WANTS TO BRING HER BOYFRIEND!!! So far this is the only RSVP faux pas, and I don't expect any others. Kevin's response is that he doesn't have that many friends coming, so what's the problem? My response is "You have 3 siblings with families, I have NONE".......our list of 100 was about split 50-50.

I'm waiting to see how many people RSVP who haven't yet (they have until the 6th), I may just let this guy bring his family AND his daughter's date........besides, we know he's going to need a designated driver, LOL.

Aaarrgh.
  • Suzette70Suzette70 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_adults-cant-follow-directions-rsvps?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:c237733b-e53d-40ed-abd5-94fc77aac544Post:f8f1e87c-9ffc-4446-92ea-59f72021c138">Re: Adults can't follow directions (RSVPs)</a>:
    [QUOTE] Also I am so glad that I put the coding system on the back of my response cards because I have gotten about 20 back with no names. WTF how am I supposed to know who you are person gosh. Posted by shesheduke[/QUOTE]

I never thought of that!  How are you coding them?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_adults-cant-follow-directions-rsvps?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:c237733b-e53d-40ed-abd5-94fc77aac544Post:2f1e1462-83e0-4fc9-860b-693589c6f8a7">Re: Adults can't follow directions (RSVPs)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adults can't follow directions (RSVPs) : I never thought of that!  How are you coding them?
    Posted by Suzette70[/QUOTE]

<div>Just write a number on the back of the RSVP, and make a list of who gets what number when you address the envelopes.  I keep track of it all in a spreadsheet. </div>
  • Suzette70Suzette70 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_adults-cant-follow-directions-rsvps?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:c237733b-e53d-40ed-abd5-94fc77aac544Post:131c9718-c930-49e3-b3dc-0beb3bdf7e6b">Re: Adults can't follow directions (RSVPs)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adults can't follow directions (RSVPs) : Just write a number on the back of the RSVP, and make a list of who gets what number when you address the envelopes.  I keep track of it all in a spreadsheet. 
    Posted by zulamay[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards