Michigan-Detroit

Dress Garment Bag

So - I need a garment bag.. J.Crew sent the dress in a plastic bag - which I've since lost in the last 1.5+years that I've had that dress..

Breatheable vs. Vinyl - are they even different?
Which is better? I need it to last AT LEAST a year and survive the alteration process.

What do you ladies have? How has it worked for you?

Where did you get yours? I know a lot of dresses don't come with garment bags in 2010 - crazy, I know.. so what did you do?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket Visit Detroit.Weddings.com

I'm a guest blogger on 12Kwedding.com

Re: Dress Garment Bag

• edited December 2011
    while I don't have to store mine as long, nor did I consider any of the other factors, I bought mine from David's Bridal when I purchased my dress.  I think it was $10?  Maybe $15?  Hope that helps.  maybe someone else will have more insight into what's the best kind of bag to get.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Christina!

• edited December 2011
    Mine came with a garment bag, it's actually quite nice...clear plastic w/ a zipper and a little pocket on the front to store related paperwork.  I bought mine from I Do Too Bridal.  I'm not sure if the store gave me the bag or it came from the manufacturer.
  • edited December 2011
    well - I called Mimi's cause it's on my way home from work.. she said she'd just give me one of the plastic ones - how sweet.

Just for that - I'm gonna look at their bridesmaids dresses. :-)

I know it's plastic - but it will do for now.. I feel bad with my dress just hanging in our bedroom. lol

Still looking for advice though - before I purchase one.

• edited December 2011
    I got mine from David's as well and I have had my dress for over a year in it and it held up very well. It was $10 like pp said.  Good luck! :)
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    LOL, mine currently lives in a cardboard box (I bought it on ebay and that's what it came in!).  But after reading this I may stop at David's on my home today and get a proper garment bag! 
  • edited December 2011
    thanks stebbe!

lol cmkuno... btw - did you say you were in ann arbor? we should meet for drinks one day

• mink492mink492 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got mine from my dress shop (Moni's). The plastic one was free but they insisted it needed a breathable bag, which I $12, so I got it. 
  • edited December 2011
    Ok Mink - that's what I"m looking for. THANKS!

• edited December 2011
    FAB NEWS! I went to pick up the plastic garment bag at Mimi's in Ann Arbor - LOVELY staff - it was sitting near the door with my name on it.. so sweet.. I MUST go back there and check out their veils!

AND... when I put the word out - my AWESOME Maid of HONOR found a breathable one for me at the Macy's somerset Bridal salon - because I mentioned Moni's to her (thanks MINK).

So - now I have TWO!!! A plastic one - that I can now use for all my dance costumes and a breathable one for my wedding gown!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks ladies - you all were awesomein helping me figure out what I needed!

• edited December 2011
    Definitely get a breathable dress.  As someone who sews a lot, I can tell you plastic or vinyl will ruin your dress over the long term.  I bought mine at a salon for $40.  A lot for a bag, perhaps, but consider the investment you're protecting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards