Michigan-Detroit
Options

WWYD - Wedding Date Change

So...FI and I hit up about 6 more parks this weekend, and we've chosen our favorite park site and are ready to put down our payment (it's a picnic wedding - both  ceremony and reception will be there).  Yayyyyyy!!!  Almost Check!

Before we commit to this, though, we want to call those people who are most important to us to make sure that they're free on that day.  We're calling only those people whose inability to attend would actually cause us to move the date - Moms, Dads, Siblings and Grandmothers. 

So here's the question that just popped into my head: If sibling can come, but sibling's SO (actual relationship, not just "dating") could not, would we move the date?

What would you do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: WWYD - Wedding Date Change

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would't move my wedding date for a siblings SO. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, I would not move the date for a sibling's SO.  Really, the only people I could see moving the date for would be immediate family, grandparents, or an extremely close aunt/uncle or friend.  Regardless of what you pick, not everyone will be able to come.  It's just a fact of life!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would only move it for a sibling's SO if it's a super-long-term SO/you can reasonably expect them to marry into the family at some point.  Then I might think about it.

• Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_wwyd-wedding-date-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:d91184c1-a083-4a12-9fb8-5924cb22d258Post:fd88c410-eb31-4db8-93b0-91bb29ae3cfa">Re: WWYD - Wedding Date Change</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would only move it for a sibling's SO if it's a super-long-term SO/you can reasonably expect them to marry into the family at some point.  Then I might think about it.
    Posted by Meg1036[/QUOTE]

See, that's kind of where we're at....  My brother and his boyfriend have lived together for three years.  My sister and her boyfriend have been together for about 3 years and are basically living together/raising his younger siblings together.  FI's twin brother will be getting married a month before us, so she'll actually be an in-law by the time of the wedding, and (although she doesn't know it yet) FI's older brother is intending to propose  to his GF as soon as he can finish paying off the ring.

My brother's boyfriend travels a lot for work, so this could legitimately end up being an issue.  I'm very fond of him, but I wouldn't be broken up if he wasn't there.  Sister's BF and FI's brother's GF?  Don't really care for them very much, and FI doesn't either.  In all honesty, we couldn't really care less whether they're there or not.  But still...they're serious in-law probabilities.  At that point, maybe we owe it to them and our sibs to work around them?  I'm just not sure.  But I feel like we should have an answer ready before we make the calls to our sibs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bltatabltata member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it is a possibility, but they aren't in your family yet.  I feel that it is no slight against them to set your date before they are even engaged to a family member.  Plus, your immediate family members are hard enough to work around.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Kristen1114Kristen1114 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't even worry about it too much considering its 5 months away and many people wouldn't have plans for then anyways, unless they are planning to attend another wedding or something. I would just ask, see who's availabe and go from there.
  • Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, guys.  That was really helpful.  We were leaning the way that everyone suggested, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to make some gross rude etiquette oversight.  I love how helpful everyone on this board is! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i sorta feel like, its your/Fi's wedding date. pick the day YOU want and if it's important for everyone else to be there, they'll make it possible to be there.
    my brother and sister both got married and no one got clearance on a date. My sister asked me about her date, but not because of my schedule, but because of my mom's birthday (which is why she went with one weekend over another).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards