Michigan-Detroit
Options

Whats for Dinner?

I admit it-- I can cook when I want to, but usually it is me and my picky 4 year old eating and I result to many MANY variations of macaroni and cheese in order to hide various vegetables and meats. Not to mention that I am horribly lazy ( can't stand getting the kitchen dirty for just me to eat-- cuz then I have to clean it) . I started making those frozen "meal for two in a bag" things- some of them aren't bad.

So who has good CHEAP ideas for dinner for one adult and one picky child?

OR

What is for dinner tonight?

Re: Whats for Dinner?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    how about non-breaded chicken strips and broiled potatoes? Think she'll go for that?

Tonight I had a mexican chicken wrap thing I just put together.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You caught me on a good day. I sauteed shrimp, cherry tomatoes, and garlic in butter, olive oil and lemon juice. Tossed it with penne and then added salt and pepper, fresh parmesan, fresh lemon zest and fresh parsley.

I was trying to recreated one of those Bertolli frozen pasta dishes that are like $6-7 a piece for two small servings. It tasted just as good if not better. I spent a lot more but there is a ton of shrimp in there and at least 4 big servings.
  • Options
    efabianefabian member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having pocket pizza.
    1 Creasant roll dough layed flat on a baking sheet with pizza sauce, cheese and veggies wth another cresant roll dough layer on top. Bake and eat. Super yummy and kid friendly!
  • Options
    terbear_86terbear_86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aprill-- We eat A LOT of breaded chicken haha. For the sole reason I can do anything with it, strip it into tacos,quesadillas, nachos, dice it into Mac and cheese, or omelettes.  He is ok with the chicken- but I guess I just have no imagination. My mom is a great cook and NEVER got bored in the kitchen, so I wait until she makes a huge batch of stuff and steal a bunch of it for the freezer, haha.

Efabian-- that sounds pretty good.  We do a "breakfast pizza" similarly without the second layer of crescent rolls on top. The layer on the bottom then mix up a bunch of eggs and toss in crumbled bacon or sausage (or whatever you want) and a bunch of cheddar cheese and bake it. We top it off with sour cream and salsa. I might have to try it with pizza sauce though.  Thanks!
  • Options
    leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made baked potato soup the other day and it was DELICIOUS!  I actually used skim milk and fat free sour cream to lighten it up.  It was still really tasty.  This was a pretty big pot of soup, but I'm assuming you could freeze some for later.  Here's the recipe:

(**FYI - I don't measure seasonings when I cook, so adjust it to your taste)

Ingredients:

1 package bacon, 2/3 cup butter, 4-5 tbsp flour, 5 cups skim milk, 2 cups chicken stock, 2 chicken bouillon cubes, 5 extra large potatoes peeled, baked and cubed, 2 handfuls shredded cheddar, 1 cup fat free sour cream, 2 tbsp garlic powder, 2 tbsp roasted red bell pepper flakes, salt and pepper.  (If you have dried minced garlic, use that too.  My roasted red pepper flakes had garlic in them too)

Directions:

(I seasoned the potatoes with salt, pepper, garlic powder and roasted red pepper flakes before adding them to the soup. I also added more of each seasoning after they were in the pot because I didn't think it was enough)

Cook bacon until crispy and set aside.

In large soup pot, melt butter then whisk in flour until smooth.

Add bouillon cubes and crush them up, then stir in milk and stock until thickened.

Stir in potatoes and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Mix in cheese and sour cream until melted and smooth.

Top with bacon and some extra cheese & sour cream.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    terbear_86terbear_86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Leeshab that sounds wonderful. Perfect for a cold winter day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards