Michigan-Detroit
Options

We're eloping!!! Hotel booked, dress ordered, chapel decided-now this is fun!

Hi everyone. 

While in Mexico about two weeks ago on an incredibly amazing resort, my boyfriend and I discussed the big wedding/small wedding idea. It will be my second marriage, his third (I am 30, he's in his 40s) and we decided that for us, spending $20k or more on a huge wedding wasn't our idea of fun. He tossed out the idea of taking his kids-17 and 10-and surprising them on a weekend trip to Las Vegas and getting married there and to me, that sounded fun and exciting. We are so untraditional that this is truly us! I work two full time jobs as a nurse and he works full time and is in nursing school full time so the planning of a huge wedding would completely overwhelm me right now. Besides, our families are not big and mine live 6 hours away and we are not super close. 

So walking the beach, we planned the wedding and date. Vegas here we come. So today I bought the dress and booked the hotel. The chapel is decided. All that is left is booking a show for that night  (probably Cris Angel since the kids would love to see him) and deciding where to eat on our wedding night with the kids. The plan is we will pack for the kids. The 17 year old just got a great suit and since we go to the theater and Broadway shows when they are in Detroit, we plan on taking the 10 year old for a dress for the supposed "theater" and that will be the dress packed. The kids will be handed a box on the way to the airport with special invitations made for each of them for the wedding along with the whole itinerary. The adventure of keeping this secret-only 4 people know and it will stay that way. Now it is the waiting period.........(a few more months away)

Re: We're eloping!!! Hotel booked, dress ordered, chapel decided-now this is fun!

• Options
    jhawthorne85jhawthorne85 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    well! that sounds amazing..congrats!
    Photobucket Married at last! *11-18-11*
  • Options
    PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  What chapel are you using?

You might go to the Las Vegas board if you have any other questions.  They may advise you on other things you can do if you are staying more than a day or two.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds incredible! If I wasn't close with my family (and people didn't expect the big-wedding thing) I would totally want to just go elope! And it's so great that you're involving the kids (considering what they'd like to see for the show for the night and whatnot) It sounds so much fun [:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was married in Las Vegas on 7-7-11 SO MUCH FUN! You def. will not regret it!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    how exciting. What's your wedding date??
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds very exciting!

Not be a downer, my only concern would be the kids' thoughts on the wedding.  Unless they are 100% on board this could really turn into a disaster.  However, if they are completely supportive and excited, it sounds likean incredible experience for the whole family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_were-eloping-hotel-booked-dress-ordered-chapel-decided-now-this-fun?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:e44bdcd7-1670-4488-86db-0c15249e090aPost:ad4d3b03-99d5-4acd-9882-61aa6f8864ff">Re: We're eloping!!! Hotel booked, dress ordered, chapel decided-now this is fun!</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sounds very exciting! Not be a downer, my only concern would be the kids' thoughts on the wedding.  Unless they are 100% on board this could really turn into a disaster.  However, if they are completely supportive and excited, it sounds likean incredible experience for the whole family.
    Posted by Allycat11[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto...I think the 17 year old would adapt pretty well but that is a big thing to spring on a 10 year old.  Can you drop a lot of hints about planning a wedding so that the idea is not completely out of the blue for them?</div><div>
    </div><div>My parents eloped and I always thought it was the way to go.  It was very special for them and was ideal given their extended family situation.  Just take a lot of pictures...the one thing I wish I had was pictures from my parents wedding!!</div>
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes the kids know we are talking about a wedding. The 17 year old could care less and recently-last night in fact-told me his life got better when I came into his dad's life. We have been together 2 years and live together as a family. In fact, the ten year old often asks about being a flower girl at our wedding and recently saw that you could get married on the U of M football field and she had to tell her daddy immediately because he is a huge U of M fan. She was trying to tell us to live on a budget so we could get married there and she could dress as a U of M cheerleader. However, her mother is not the nicest person (fyi they have been divorced more than 3 years and separated 5 years so this isn't new) and for every large event that she has found out about, (i.e. Halloween party, Christmas party, etc the list goes on and on) she has found a way to prevent her daughter from coming or causing a major issue over it. The little girl often has to lie about any plans with the family-we have heard these ourselves-to prevent her mother from messing up the plans. So by the little girl not knowing until later the actual date, we ensure she will be with us and able to not have to lie about it prior to the event. Thanks for the concern though about them. It has been something that has been extensively discussed with their father and myself.
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_were-eloping-hotel-booked-dress-ordered-chapel-decided-now-this-fun?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:e44bdcd7-1670-4488-86db-0c15249e090aPost:89cd4c01-3d75-45d3-9cd0-9f13f98fcd28">Re: We're eloping!!! Hotel booked, dress ordered, chapel decided-now this is fun!</a>:
    [QUOTE]. However, her mother is not the nicest person (fyi they have been divorced more than 3 years and separated 5 years so this isn't new) and for every large event that she has found out about, (i.e. Halloween party, Christmas party, etc the list goes on and on) she has found a way to prevent her daughter from coming or causing a major issue over it. The little girl often has to lie about any plans with the family-we have heard these ourselves-to prevent her mother from messing up the plans. So by the little girl not knowing until later the actual date, we ensure she will be with us and able to not have to lie about it prior to the event. Posted by crazynlove2011[/QUOTE]

I'm curious how you're going to let the mother know that you're taking her kid on an airplane to Vegas without her assuming you're getting married? That would be my first thought if someone told me they were going to Vegas....  and lying about location, etc. may not be the way to go.... Not trying to be a downer, just genuinely curious
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Larzhope-based on the agreement, both parents can take the child wherever they want when they have their time with her as long as it is in the U.S. It is going outside the country that they need permission. So we are going when it is his time with her so there is no need to lie as to where we are going. She will be able to talk to her mother if she wants as she always has that option. And btw, it is his kid too-I understand the comment but he is an amazing father who is involved in his daughter's life, volunteering at her school, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like the kids are so supportive and enthusiastic about the idea.  Have a ton of fun!!! 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards