Michigan-Detroit
Options

Just because im bored

The DJ VS: The IPod

Feel free to leave a comment if you'd like.
image165 Invited
image9 are ready to party
image0 Aren't coming
image156 Can't find their mail box
RSVP Deadline: September 19th

I will make mistakes
I will face heartache
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand All other ground is sinking sand I will not be moved Wedding Countdown Ticker
Planning Bio/ Blog

Re: Just because im bored

• Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there is a question about it.  A good DJ or band can read your group and play accordingly.  An iPod cannot.  End of story.

Unless budget is a huge concern.  But then again, my DJ was inexpensive ($700) and worth EVERY penny.  And then some.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I think a DJ or band can make a HUGE difference.  With an Ipod or other player you have the chances of it skipping or stop working all together and not to mention the possibility and more likely bad sound quality.  DJ's have back up equipment.
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    edited December 2011
    I've been to an iPod wedding and it kind of sucked.  Yeah they had good music but there was no flow to the music and the iPod couldn't anticipate what the crowd wanted.  Also it repeated a lot of songs because people would mess with the playlist to get a certain song and then it would cycle through them all again.

Also they had to rent all the equipment in order to play the iPod so it wasn't really all that much of a cost saver in the end - only a couple hundred bucks.

DJ hands down.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DJ.  Worth EVERY penny to have a professional... a professional sound system and professional person running everything.  Not to mention that you don't have to think about the logistics of everything and putting together a playlist, trying to anticpate the evening's flow, etc.
  • Options
    lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

My opinion was either a band or an Ipod because I actually despise DJ's.  I've been to too many weddings where the DJ's were soooo cheesy I couldn't stand it.  My FI is 100% band and my co worker (who is in a band) steered me away from the iPod for all the reasons above.  It's a cost saver yes but It probably isn't worth it.  We ended up going with a band though.

August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_just-because-im-bored?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:e9687f4c-a36f-4795-9b37-6105d680b226Post:9bfedb73-9e63-4344-b9e8-4541d4f02f08">Re: Just because im bored</a>:
    [QUOTE]My opinion was either a band or an Ipod because <strong>I actually despise DJ's.  I've been to too many weddings where the DJ's were soooo cheesy I couldn't stand it.</strong>  My FI is 100% band and my co worker (who is in a band) steered me away from the iPod for all the reasons above.  It's a cost saver yes but It probably isn't worth it.  We ended up going with a band though.
    Posted by lisa89760[/QUOTE]

I think it's funny that DJs have gotten this bad reputation -- I have been to about 15 weddings in the past 5 years and there was only 1 DJ where I thought this was the case.  But I think it's perfectly avoidable by doing your research, looking into referrals, and clearly communicating your expectations.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Band is #1 choice, DJ is #2. Having an iPod would be viewed as tacky and innapropriate by my guests, but every wedding reception is different. I have very specific songs that need to be played and if my DJ doesn't have them, I'll make a cd for him.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Band for us...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a DJ.  We were able to request what kind of personality we'd prefer in our DJ and they matched us up with someone based on our request.  We were actually able to watch him work at another wedding to make sure he'd be ok for us.  I think it's the best way to go because I would never be able to create playlists to please everyone and I sure wouldn't want a bunch of people shuffling through songs the whole night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards