Michigan-Detroit
Options

Color Scheme Suggestions

Hi Everyone, My wedding will take place in June 2013 at a golf & country club. I would like to have a color scheme picked out by this October, because my nursing program will begin and I won’t have much more time to wedding plan. I have had three color schemes in mind: Neutrals, black & white (with a small touch of damask), or navy blue, gold & neutrals. I would like my wedding to look modern, clean & elegant. My goal is to avoid looking back at pictures and saying to myself "what were we thinking?!". Most of our pictures will be taken on the ground of the golf course and by the water. I will post pictures of a wedding I looked at last weekend at the venue. Please send me your suggestions and any inspiration pictures you might have. I am willing to consider colors from one end of the spectrum to the other! 

*We are planning on getting gold charivari chairs to go with the gold lighting and plates that come with the venue.

Re: Color Scheme Suggestions

• Options
    courtney1188courtney1188 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing about those pictures that stands out as vert non-modern and clean looking to me is the centerpieces. Maybe it's the vases or maybe it's just that they're very NMS. I think maybe it would really pop with navy linens and more modern-looking white centerpieces.
  • Options
    bbailey112bbailey112 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    This was an Italian wedding so they had a lot of columns and old statues. I loved the neutral tones, but after looking at the pics a few times, everything looked a little bland to me. I think the red curtains are dictating my color scheme because I feel like I have to work around them. Then again, lighting may be able to fix this problem. I like the thought of the navy and white. Very clean look.
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    by neutrals do you mean tans? i sorta feel like thats boring, and feel every wedding needs a little pop of color. but of course, if that's your style. You can do color without (later) thinking WTF. what about pairing your navy color scheme with a light yellow.. think: navy dresses with light yellow flowers. IMO if you're worried about colors that later you'll feel odd about go with more lighter colors, more traditional, rather then vibrant.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I remember on wediing was black and white; the centerpieces were white gerber daisies!  If the wedding is formal, I'd go this way.....(not necessary to do the gerber daisies).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    By neutrals I mean gold, ivory, cream. I think neutrals weddings are nice, but I would like to step out of the box. I just don't want anything to look tacky or clash with the colors of the room. I like navy but I'm not too sure about the yellow.

As far as a black and white wedding goes, I was considering using anemones as one of the main flowers.

What do you guys think of these colors? Too much? It seems like the dark red roses would go good with the curtains. I also think this mixture might look good with dark navy chiffon dresses.

• Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    For me, it's all about the accent colors. Something used sparingly here and there to differentiate things a bit. So, I like your ideas of black/white or khaki/cream and then simply integrating a pop of another color here and there. 

I went to a wedding once where it was black/white with pops of a grassy green. Between that and the exposed brick in the venue, I was awestruck. The wedding was probably 3 years ago and I still remember it!  I've also seen photos of weddings with a similar green as an accent and then khaki as the main color in the attendants attire.

One thing I might suggest if you haven't already thought of it is that you take into account the carpet and draperies at the venue. I can't quite tell the color in the photos, but you might want to consider colors that wouldn't clash with that. I think, otherwise, whatever you choose would be lovely!

ETA: Clearly you've thought of the draperies since you mention it in your post. I can't read! But yes, I'd at least consider them and try to work them in somehow.

Good luck!
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your venue looks very similar to mine. I originally went with champagne and ivory with pops of plum. I eventually nixed the plum because it just wasnt working for me and instead went with champagne, ivory, and antique gold. It goes perfect with the venue and wont clash with the fall colors in the pictures. What really sold me on nixing the plum was that I saw a wedding at my venue with ivory and plum and I didn't care for it. You're on the right track of looking at your venue, considering the season, and seeing what colors do and don't work.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am 99% sure that is my venue, and the color scheme I am going with is almost exactly the same as the pictures. I chose Ivory and Champagne, possibly an accent of Black because it suits the overall look I am going for, but also because I was concerned that something too bright would clash with the carpet and drapes. I don't think that you have to go neutral, just avoid anything that would clash.
  • Options
    lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm partial to black and white w/ an accent color because that is what I am doing.  I like the idea of simple main colors with an accent color.  It makes everything look very clean and neat. 
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like LIsa, I'm also partial to black & white with an accent color. You could use gold and another color, like red to pick up the curtains.

I've found black & white/cream to be very easy to do. I work from home and don't have a color printer, so anything I print is black. I've also used black & white damask and black & white/cream toile as accent prints, and again, very easy to find.

You can check my bio, link below and look at the DIY items in the photo section.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I may be biased here but I like the navy blue with the gold

My colors were navy blue and silver. I received a lot of compliments on how nice my wedding was and how elegant it looked.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for all of your input! It seems like I can't go wrong with any of my color combosI have in mind! I just have to make up my mind!

Sue, I agree with you. Damask is very easy to find! I see it everywhere! I like the weddings I've seen online with the damask and a hint of green.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards