Michigan-Detroit
Options

BM dress cost

Hi gals :)

How much do your BM dresses cost? If you've stood up in a wedding before, how much have you paid for a BM dress?

Just curious about the price range. Thanks :)

Re: BM dress cost

• Options
    edited December 2011
    most of the ones I looked at in David's Bridal were $150 or less.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I stood up in my Best Friends/MOH wedding 5 years ago I paid about $140 from David's Bridal.

My BM's are wearing Bill Levkoff Style 628, which normally costs $239 in bridal shops, I found an online place (overseas) that custom makes them to your measurements for $108.94 including shipping.  All of my girls received their dresses without a problem. A couple of them added a halter top to help with the girls up top.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in a wedding in September and just got my dress for $140. I think it is smart to try to make them cost under $200.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in one wedding before and my dress $180.  The dresses for my wedding normally run $280, and I was able to get them down to $190.  I had my MOH ask the girls what their budgets were ahead of time, though.  The reason why I had my MOH do it was so the girls would feel more comfortable being honest just in case they were afraid of hurting my feelings or something.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine are ranging from about $180-$220 (different salons and styles, same designer).

I feel bad the cost is so high, but it *is* within the budget everyone gave me (granted, at the top end of that budget).  I offered to each girl individually that I would pay whatever they were not comfortable covering if their budget changed; no one took me up on it.

I am in a wedding in December.  I haven't gone to be measured yet, but I expect the dress to be in the $150-$170 range (its an Alfred Angelo).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I asked because I've never been in a wedding before and didn't know what was normal. My girls have already gotten their dresses ($170). I'll be in another wedding this year and the dresses are $350. I don't have an issue with the cost and I absolutely love the dress, but last night I started worrying that in comparison I cheaped out on the dress.
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bm-dress-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:ecbdae50-ed8c-4b11-a177-6d90b5aa1eabPost:f6eac017-9449-418c-abe9-5435d6042377">Re: BM dress cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]I asked because I've never been in a wedding before and didn't know what was normal. My girls have already gotten their dresses ($170). <strong>I'll be in another wedding this year and the dresses are $350</strong>. I don't have an issue with the cost and I absolutely love the dress, but last night I started worrying that in comparison I cheaped out on the dress.
    Posted by rcj2rcd[/QUOTE]
    HOLY COW!  For some that's more than the wedding dress!

For the two weddings I've been in, the dresses have been around $150 give or take.  And my girls' dresses were about the same (before alterations.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bm-dress-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:ecbdae50-ed8c-4b11-a177-6d90b5aa1eabPost:f6eac017-9449-418c-abe9-5435d6042377">Re: BM dress cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]I asked because I've never been in a wedding before and didn't know what was normal. My girls have already gotten their dresses ($170). I'll be in another wedding this year and the dresses are <strong>$350.</strong> I don't have an issue with the cost and I absolutely love the dress, but last night I started worrying that in comparison I cheaped out on the dress.
    Posted by rcj2rcd[/QUOTE]

That is expensive!! I felt bad for my dresses being the cost they were.  I wound up paying for 2 of my bridesmaid's dresses, all of their shoes (except for 1), their jewelry, hair and makeup.  All of them are having financial difficulties (except for 1) and knew I needed to help them if I really wanted them to be a part of my wedding. 
    You are by no means, being cheap on your dresses.  It's not how much they cost, it's your style and what you want them to wear. My MOH told me that she would wear a hoop skirt, cowboy hat and boots if that's what I wanted for my wedding.  :)
  • Options
    lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The wedding I was just in the dress was $200 and my BM's dresses are around that.  I tried to keep it under $200. 
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The cost of my dresses varies depending on the tops the girls choose but nothing over $210 and this includes all alterations.

I have been in three other wedding and the dresses ranged from $200-$250 and that did not include alterations at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've only stood up in one wedding, and I paid about $70-80 for the dress.  

For our wedding, I picked colors and lengths.  My BM's are going to pick whatever style/price range they are comfortable with.  
    BabyFruit Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker Our Bio Bridesmaid Dresses July 2012 November Siggy: Bridesmaid Dresses!
  • Options
    Thumper1148Thumper1148 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've stood up in 3 different weddings.  All the dresses were under $200.

$350 is more then my wedding dress!! O_O
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i've been in 2 weddings. one dress was around $130, the other around $150.
    IMO- anything over $200 is completely unreasonable. That's asking a lot for your bridal party. again, that's just my opinion. You have to consider your girls will need shoes, accessories, hair, make up, stockings, etc.. it just seems a little much to me for anything over $200.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $140 from David's Bridal - and all BMs loved the dress (originally I said they could choose different dresses but they ended up all picking the same one, lol) and said they'd probably wear it again, which makes me really happy
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     i told my girls to find a knee length black dress that they love and can afford.  So far, one paid $125, and the other paid $176.
    I have paid anywhere from $120-$375 for dresses (the $375 included costly alterations b/c the dresses were a-line and the bride wanted them to have mermaid fit)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I told my BMs to buy a knee-ish length opaque black dress that they like. So far only one has bought her dress and it was just under $100. I think anything under $150 would make all the BMs very happy, but really anything under $200 is reasonable. The most important thing would be to ask them what their budget is; only they know what they can afford to spend and what they think is reasonable.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine were 99 at David's Bridal and all my girls love them.  I wouldn't expect my girls to pay anything over 200.  350 is way to much to spend on a dress unless you are the one getting married.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the posts. Sometimes I worry about the silliest things (worrying about whether my BMs thought I was being cheap by asking them to purchase a dress that costs less than BM dresses in another wedding definitely counts as a silly worry).

It seems like the price my BMs paid was pretty average. For the other wedding, I have no issue with spending $350 on the other dress and neither do her BMs, I just wanted to see what the norm was.
  • Options
    Kristen1114Kristen1114 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as the dress I picked works out (one of my BMs is going to try some on tomorrow - unfortunately, 3 of my 6 BMs live out of state and 2 couln't care less, lol), It will be $148 with free alterations!  Can't beat it! There were some dresses that I liked better, but wanted to keep it is cheap as possible FOR THEM, as long as it's something I like.  Fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards