Michigan-Detroit
Options

Help! Am I Overeacting?

Ok, so I met with The Whitney and loved it. They sent over a contract and I confirmed that I wanted to move forward. My fiance, who lives in Japan, was home last week and since I had gotten the contract just a few days before he came home, I asked The Whitney if I could set an appointment to come in and drop off the contract and deposit the following week with him so he could see it as well (I told them during my appointment he lived out of the coutnry). I had a confirmed appointment to do this on Friday this past weekend and when we showed up, no one was there. I called and had to leave a message and now its Monday and no one has gotten back with me at all. So, I'm upset because he won't be home again until Christmas and this type of service doesn't sit well with me especially for a wedding. I don't want to jump up and down and get angry but I'm a little disappointed with trying to hand a company money and no one being there to take it...I don't get it. If I give them a chance to redeem themselves, which I'm willing to do, how can I make sure this type of flighty service doesn't happen after I hand them a deposit....

Re: Help! Am I Overeacting?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Dang.. just when they were starting to be better.

You KNOW how I feel about the Whtney's service. I hate they they did this to you. I can tell you that Ashly told me her hours were: Tuesday-Friday from noon-6p.m

I hope this helps you some.

Sheesh.. you know how I feel about the whitney.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket Visit Detroit.Weddings.com

I'm a guest blogger on 12Kwedding.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not so sure giving them another chance to redeem themselves is the best idea. Is there any other venue you liked? It seems like The Whitney does not have it together and I would be very leary on forking over $$$ for a deposit. If they can't meet you on the date they said they would, I would be done with them. You want to have good communication with your reception venue (it's kind of a major part of a wedding!) and if they can't do that, who knows what they are capable of doing as your wedding date gets closer. It seems like there have been quite a few mixed reviews of this place. I think you should look around for an alternate place in case these people totally flake out on you. If it were me in your shoes, I would not find this acceptable and would not wait around for them to call back. Clearly they don't think they need your business or they would be contacting you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_am-overeacting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:f0b2ea28-3c9a-4d8d-95e1-ab442280bcedPost:5f10fcce-cb2d-48b9-aafe-1eb32e43d152">Re: Help! Am I Overeacting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not so sure giving them another chance to redeem themselves is the best idea. Is there any other venue you liked? It seems like The Whitney does not have it together and I would be very leary on forking over $$$ for a deposit. If they can't meet you on the date they said they would, I would be done with them. You want to have good communication with your reception venue (it's kind of a major part of a wedding!) and if they can't do that, who knows what they are capable of doing as your wedding date gets closer. It seems like there have been quite a few mixed reviews of this place. I think you should look around for an alternate place in case these people totally flake out on you. If it were me in your shoes, I would not find this acceptable and would not wait around for them to call back. Clearly they don't think they need your business or they would be contacting you.
    Posted by corinne2010[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with Corrine.. I went back and forth about requesting they refund my deposit - until I spoke with them last week. Now - of course I'm worried again.. but I have VERY capable (and slightly crazy) coordinators that will make sure everything is perfect WELL in advance of our event.

But if you have ANY other choices for wedding space - I'd shy away from the Whitney.. they haven't proven to be very reliable so far.

• Options
    edited December 2011

I'm totally ready to walk...its just that this WAS our second venue. We chose to downsize from 130 ppl to 40 ppl so had to pick a new venue and now here I am after having changed my photographer and already let go of my DJ,  with nothing :~( Its just really really disappointing. I don't want to be a b*&^% and complain...its just not my nature but seriously, how can management/owners not be aware that this is how their retaurant is being run and perceived.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about cliff bells or the top floor of centaur? Both of those might be an option.

You could try pitching a fit.. That's what I've been on the brink of. I know another girl on here is getting married in two months and was at her wits end about a week ago. I'm not sure if she was finally able to talk to them - but I assume that pitching a fit is next to the only way you'll get something accomplished.

• Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ugh, agree with PPs... find somewhere new.  The Whitney is gorgeous, but do you constantly want to be stressed out?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked at several venues including the Whitney. I was shocked at the lack of follow up from most places! Like, hello! Don't you want my money??? I received bad service there as well (she was 30 min late for our appt, and rushed us through) Worst part... my Step Mom's niece is the coordinator there! This is a girl I spend holidays with and she didn't even leave her office to greet me or offer me any sort of deal! I was immediately turned off! I say RUN! There are so many gorgeous places, and you don't want to stress about your vendors on the day of!
    Also, Centaur is AMAZING! So different! I attended a wedding there and my friend is the manager. They do a fantastic job!
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you're overreacting and would seriously consider walking away from this situation. The last thing you want to be stressing over is your venue.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards