Michigan-Detroit
Options

Mike Staff Productions

I'm meeting with someone at Mike Staff Productions in Troy tomorrow about DJ services for our wedding. Has anyone met with them or have any friends that have used them? 

The air was sorta let out of my planning sails after I met with Emerald City Designs a few weeks ago (turns out I have a vision....it's called - expensive) so I'm a little anxious about moving forward with more vendors. 

Let me know!! Thanks, Girls!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mike Staff Productions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Mike Staff has had a lot of great reviews on the board. I didn't bother meeting with them, though, because they're above my price range. Good luck! [: 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used them for my dj, photo, and video.  They are a little more expensive but with things like that, you totally get what you pay for.  I have a full review in my bio if you are interested.
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to be honest, I think I might be the only person that had a terrible experience with them... maybe because I was doing everything via email/phone since I'm planning long distance, but they were rude, failed to return phone calls, and then once I told them I had chosen to go with someone else, they spammed me with a bunch of emails :(

I do think I was the exception, though, as they do come highly recommended on here.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Although I am not going with them, I heard they're highly reviewed.  I emailed them for a price quote in February.  Well, I just searched "Mike Staff" in my email, and apparently I have received 14 emails from them since then.  I received a couple in February, a handful in March, and 8 in April.  Nothing in May yet though.  I'm sure there's an unsubscribe button though, I'm just too lazy to find it. :P
    BabyFruit Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker Our Bio Bridesmaid Dresses July 2012 November Siggy: Bridesmaid Dresses!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They are pricier than other companies, but were our choice hands-down because they are so organized and professional. They have been the easiest vendor to work with. We booked Kevin Joynt as our DJ and are also using them for videography. A bunch of our friends used them (they are in the picture on the walls and on the promo videos) so we knew they would be good. One thing I didn't care for, though, was that MSP promotes other vendors...a lot...and I wasn't that impressed with those vendors. Anyway, that didn't change my mind on using them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
      I have two friends who have used MSP. At the first wedding, they were great- professional and kept the dance floor packed all night. At the second wedding, the DJ was less than professional. I heard people say they were going outside to smoke and the DJ said not to because he was going to announce the bridal party. Then the DJ went outside to smoke. He took several cigarette breaks throughout the night and wasn't very personable. The music wasn't great either (which could've been the couple's choices). 
      When FI and i were trying to decide on a DJ, I asked both friends who they used. When they had the same answer, I was a little surprised. We decided not to go with MSP because we weren't sure what we'd end up getting.
      That being said, MSP has really good reviews from brides who have used them, I would just advise to meet with the specifi DJ that will be at your reception (since they have several).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We met with Kurt from MSP today and I think it was the eaisiest vendor decision yet. When we met with them they showed us 5 short videos interviewing different DJ's and we both had the same idea of who we wanted to go with. I'm going to send in my deposit on Monday. 

Now I really need to get it together and find a florist before we move. Has anyone worked with 'The Parsonage' in Clarkston? Our Photographers are 'Church Street Studios' and they work closely together. When I called to make an appointment, the woman who answered was really short with me. She told me she was "really busy" this time of year and couldn' meet with me any earlier than a year out. When I told her I was moving to NC in June she told me "Well, you'll probably be home around the holidays".

They have such rave reviews online, I'm just wondering if it's worth another try. We LOVE our photographers and they highly reccomend 'The Parsonage'. I just don't want to leave the state wthout trying to book a florist. 

However, on a positive note - I bought a dress for our engagement pictures today :)
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mish - can you post pics of your dress?? can't wait to see it!
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    and congrats on picking a DJ! nothing to add on the parsonage, I didn't meet with them, but I know several girls on here love them and are working with them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It's from Anthropologie. I have just the sandals to match. Love it! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love the dress! I'm starting to shop for our HM and that would be perfect :) I'm using the Parsonage for flowers, linens, and invitations. They are awesome!!! I met with a bunch of florists who seemed to only want to push me into the designs "they" wanted to do. Liz has been so easy to work with and we clicked very well, I guess that's what sold me. They didn't have the specific linens I was looking for, but ordered them for me. They recently got a new person (Sharon) for invitations and she has been very good (I ordered my invitations last week). The only negative I have is that they are a 30 min drive from my house, but that's it! Good luck :)
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ooh I love that dress Mish! super cute!
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We are using them for both DJ and videography. I considered them for photography, but they're not as highly ranked in that area and I had a friend that used them that thought her photos were fine but not amazing.

They are definitely very nice, albeit a little "smooth operator"-esque. I do also think that their bundling doesn't really save any $$, I could have found cheaper DJs and cheaper video services. But I agree with Rebecca, you get what you pay for. I liked that the videographer can easily plug into the DJ's equipment for sound (for toasts and things like that) and frankly, I liked the idea of only having to manage 1 vendor instead of 2. Also, by booking with them, we were able to get a shutterbooth discount, which really helped!
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    bbailey112bbailey112 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I recently went to a Bridal Show at Petrezello's in Troy. After hearing many positive reviews on MSP, I went up to their stand to inquire. Unfortunately I stood there for an ackward few minutes directly infront of the two guys advertising and they did not acknowledge me. My friend and I were literally two feet infront of them and looking right at them. I finally just walked up to their desk and took a couple information brochures and magnets to lend a hint I was interested. That did not work. Seeing as how other vendors were eager to meet with brides-to-be and very welcoming, I was  surprised both men ignored my friend and I while talking to another woman about her honeymoon and personal life. This turned me off, especially since their photography and videography samples didn't appeal to me online.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards