New York-Hudson Valley
Options

yacht/cruise weddings

We just got engaged and want to do something different for our wedding.  We were thinking of having a local cruise (NY skyline, CT shore) on a chartered yacht or cruise boat.  Has anyone done this? Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated for the boat or other unique wedding ideas.

thanks!

Re: yacht/cruise weddings

• Options
    SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First off, congrats on your engagement!!!  I love that you want to do something different, but just wanted to give you my feedback of a yacht event I attended.  Our prom was held on a yacht and it did not turn out as well as expected.  We did have many seasick people (ie: our prom queen) who did not handle the smaller boat's motion.  Also, I started to feel it more during dinner since we were seated and packed into a room. I didn't even eat.  Everyone handles motion sickness differently.

Also, you'd have to plan for people not being able to leave when they wanted to. Some people head out of receptions after cake cutting, I'm sure your friends want to dance the night away.

However, I did attend a bachelor/ette party that was on the Spirit of NJ. It was actually pretty nice and didn't have the whole swaying aspect. It was nice to see the views of the skyline and harbor as well. Out of our party, no one complained of the motion, but it was a bigger boat. 

HTH! Welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and this was out of Weehawken, NJ, if that makes a difference.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I agree with pp, you could have a problem with people getting seasick.  I've heard of people doing this both in NYC and further up the Hudson and in both situation there was very minimal food.  So if you look in to it, I would just make sure you see what would be included.  Also, you may want to figure out a tentative guest list because the boats may only fit limited passengers.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i'm attending a wedding in july on a yaht cruise. bride chose one leaving out of NJ , rather than NY because the guests can park for free. honestly, she showed me some pics inside and i wasn't too impressed for the amount of money she's paying. i  also agree w pp, that guests that may have intended to leave early will sord of be trapped.
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ok, my co-worker just told me that Norweigen and some other major cruise lines do weddings at the port. the ship doesn't go anywhere, but guests get to enjoy all the ammenities of the cruise ship during those 5 hours without any outsiders (just you and your guests). i guess this would be in NY, maybe CT?
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    While it sounds like a great idea, unless you are actually going on a cruise as a DW it might be a better idea than reality.  A lot of people could get seasick, what if there is bad weather - will make the rocking and such even worse, and if someone misses the boat or needs to leave early they cannot.

Maybe instead have an engagement party, after party or something along those lines on a ship.
  • Options
    mockninemocknine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your engagement!!  Welcome to the boards!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards