Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Anyone write their own vows?

I'd like to do this - but have no clue where to start..
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Anyone write their own vows?

• Options
    I put together our wedding ceremony by going to myweddingvows.com.

They have a ton of wedding ceremonies on there.  I brought up a Word document, then copied and pasted bits of one ceremony and then another until I came up with one that is unique to my FH and I. 

HTH
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I haven't lurked much on the Vows board, but there is one on here if you want to check it out -- look under "Special Topic Wedding Boards."  Hope that helps!! :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    Thx to you both! I didn't know about either places to look.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had a dream last night about our vows! I have always wanted to write my own vows, even though my FH doesn't. We reached a compromise and we'll write 1 and we'll both read the same one. There's a great link on here:

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-ceremony/articles/20-tips-for-writing-your-own-wedding-vows.aspx

This really helped me. I also read one about the best vows - we took parts of some of those and created one that fits us.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We are writing our own vows. I am using this guideline for how to get started.
    • What is the single greatest thing about the person you are going to marry?
    • When did you know that you were in love/ know that this person was the
    • one you wanted to marry?
    • What does marriage mean to you? Why do you want to be a married person?
    • What will change about your relationship once you are married? What will stay the same?
    • What is your most favorite memory of your partner?
    • When you were little, did you dream of your wedding day or your future spouse? How does that vision match up (or not) with your sweetheart?
    HTH :)

• Options
    My FI & I are writing our own vows as well.  I printed off a few tutorials for him and I to review together.  The big question for us is are we going to share our vows with each other before the ceremony or only with our pastor?

I'm such a procrastinator that I probably won't write my vows until the week of the wedding...I hope I can fit everything I want to tell him in 1-2 paragraphs.  Laughing
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    We started with asking our friends to email us theirs, and then we edited! Steal from what you like. Maybe this will help:

XX, as your companion and best friend for life, do you take X to be your wife? Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect her? Do you promise to stand by her during the good times as well as the hard times, keeping her in sickness and in sorrow, and forsaking all others holding only unto her forevermore? Do you promise to nurture a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal?

We're also adding a few things about HOW we will love each other. Some silly, sone meaningful. For instance, I promise, that when you are sick, I will protect you, when you are sad, I will comfort you, and when you are lost, I wll help guide you. I promise to follow the example set by our parents, and value you above anyone else ..

Etc.

Basically, steal what you can. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards