New York-Hudson Valley

Our Lady of the Rosary (or other Catholic churches in Pok)

I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences getting married at OLR? We are not from the area, but have heard nice things about this chapel. I tentatively scheduled my date with them and just received my wedding packet today.  The only thing that is bothering me is that it says in the packet that only "active, contributing parishoners of at least 2 years" are allowed to have a visiting priest perform their ceremony. My FI has a close family friend who we would like to perform the ceremony, so I was wondering if anyone had any luck with this at OLR? Otherwise, does anyone know any other churches in the Poughkeepsie area that will marry non-Parishoners with their own priest?
Thanks in advance!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Our Lady of the Rosary (or other Catholic churches in Pok)

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We were married there! Loved everything about it - Father Garisto was wonderful, chapel is intimate and charming, the grounds are beautiful. We brought in our own priest, but we were having the mass in Latin, and Father Garisto hadn't had training in the Latin Mass, so clearly he wouldn't have been able to do it.

I would try to get Father Garisto on the phone and explain the situation to him. I think the rule is likely there because he wants to make sure the ceremonies are performed appropriately. I know that might seem silly, but these days, priests are taking many liberties with the Mass, so it is a concern. Another issue is that Father Garisto would be responsible for all of the administrative prep-work, so be sure to let him know that you would obviously provide him with a generous donation for his time in addition to any donation to the officiants the day of the wedding.

Make sure you have contact information for the priest you'd like to use ready, so that you can provide that to Father Garisto. Perhaps if he was able to speak with him over the phone, it would ease his mind. If he doesn't seem too open to it, ask him if your priest could co-officiant with Father Garisto. Maybe your priest could do the vows and the homily and the Father Garisto could do the typical Mass parts?

I hope all those words helped!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards