New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Reviews- 6/12/10 Wedding (Part 1)

I FINALLY am getting around to posting my vendor reviews! Since they are long, and I am still working on a few, I will post a few now and the rest later!

Caterer: Jean Jacques Colonial Caterers A+++WOW! They were just amazing. From start to finish, this vendor really was a pleasure to work with. They allowed us to set up a tasting BEFORE we booked them. The food was fabulous and we got a lot for our money. Every single person I interacted with there was so nice and very professional. My main point of contact was Mary and she was so helpful. She has a lot of event planning knowledge and was able to steer us in the right direction every time and gave us great suggestions. I never had any problems communicating with them and they were always very prompt to get back to me if I had any questions.  Our Maitre D was Jean and she blew me away! I am a perfectionist, and she executed all of my visions and requests exactly how I wanted them. She was so down to earth and good natured and I felt comfortable with her instantly. She really listened to everything I said and I felt like she could anticipate what we wanted or needed and took care of it. She really made sure that everyone at the wedding was taken care of. My whole family loved her as well! She was so kind to everyone.  The whole wedding night was perfect in every way and there is no doubt in my mind that it was because of Jean! I really feel lucky that we were able to work with her!
Bakery: Homestyle Bakery A+The cake was fabulous! It tasted so good! We were indecisive so we were able to have a layer of chocolate and vanilla and 2 different fillings in our cake (the guests loved it!).  I brought lots of pictures in when we went in for our consultation and the cake designer was able to bring my vision to life, the cake looked gorgeous! I was able to get the smooth look of fondant without using fondant which obviously tasted much better. This is a great bakery, I highly recommend them!  Venue- Scarsdale Women’s Club AJean Jacques Colonial has a handful of venues they work with and the Scarsdale Women’s Club is one of them. It is a historical estate with many unique features. I loved this venue! It was in a great location and my guests really enjoyed it. It was perfect for my smaller wedding with a minimum requirement of only 50 guests. I wouldn’t put more than 100 people in the venue though it holds up to 120. The only downfall is that the gorgeous landscape it located in the front of the venue and the back is the parking lot, so if I could change anything, I would move it to the back. Also, one of the caretakers of the house arrived at the end of the night yelling about how he did not get his cleaning fee although I had prepaid a week earlier! His wife had cashed the check and did not tell him. I was not happy about that, but luckily the only guests remaining were a handful of my family members at that point.  Transportation: Silver Star Limo A The limo driver picked up my husband and his groomsmen on time but was a few minutes late picking us up since he got lost. That was the only reason why I bumped them down to an A. The driver was friendly and helpful and the car was beautiful and clean. They also provided our airport transportation and surprised us with a SUV stretch limo instead of the standard stretch we had paid for.  They were also understanding and accommodating and did not charge us a change fee to change our car home from the airport when our honeymoon plans changed.  Bus: JTR Transportation ADidn’t have much interaction with them because everything was straight forward when it came to this vendor. They were on time, and a great price.  That was exactly what I was looking for!

DJ: Jimmy Dee A+The rave reviews were right, Jimmy Dee knows how to start, and keep the party going all night long! Our MC was Richie. Everyone at Jimmy Dee are complete professionals (and yes, they are also sales people, though not overly pushy or anything, be prepared when you first meet them!) and it is obvious they are well trained and know the business. The equipment and set up they provide is top notch. I was impressed at how they were on top of everything that was going on, and knew just what to play at the right time to keep things going. Everyone kept telling me what a great time they had at our wedding and I know the entertainment was a huge part of that. String Trio: Capriccio Ensemble A+ They were AMAZING! We hired a string trio to play for our ceremony and through cocktail hour. They played classical/light choices for the ceremony and upbeat/modern/jazzy music for cocktail hour. The director, Natalie, was a pleasure to work with from start to finish. She answered all of my e-mails very promptly and was organized and on top of everything! The very first time I thought I was going to cry at my wedding was when I heard the beautiful music start to play for my bridal procession. They were very professional and the quality of their music was outstanding. I highly recommend them!  Rehearsal Dinner- Graziellas B-Interaction with the owner of Graziella’s was casual from the beginning. The owner pointed out the locations where we would be able to have our dinner, printed out a sample menu for us, and gave us a price. He said it could be changed around based on our budget. We thought it sounded good, so we called him and told him we wanted to book our dinner there. He did not make us sign a contract or put down a deposit which I was weary about. Then about 2 weeks before the rehearsal dinner, the owner was MIA. We could NOT get a hold of him. We kept leaving messages with no response. 2 days before the rehearsal dinner we started calling new places to see if they could accommodate us. Then the very next day the owner calls us like it is nothing and answers our questions. So much unnecessary stress right before the wedding! Since it was too hard to switch, we decided to keep our original plan and hope for the best. I was so upset at this point! The actual dinner did turn out great though. The food was good & the staff was attentive. Just wish we didn’t have to deal with the stress beforehand.  

Re: Reviews- 6/12/10 Wedding (Part 1)

• Options
    reddamaskreddamask member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is that homestyle bakery in Peekskill? Thats who our venue uses, so I am curious about them. I didnt see red velvet on their website, and I really want a red velvet cake. Do you remember if they offered it? and, if you tasted it, was it good?

Thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like you had a great wedding Congrats!
  • Options
    bridaljoybridaljoy member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the review.  I used homstyle also.  Some of my guests mentioned how it was the best cake they ever had.  We choose chesscake with fresh strawberries.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've had parties at Graziella's.  The food is great and the parties always turn out wonderful, but the owner is very laid back!!!  Glad it all worked out!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Two detailed reviews back to back! Both you girls are getting me to get mine done this weekend!

Melissa - Sounds like you had an amazing day! Thanks for the great reviews!

Reddamask - Yes Homestyle is in Peekskill. We used them too They make red velvet cake, but since it's not on your list may not be included in the package price. You might have to pay a few bucks to get it. We had only four cake choices that were included. They could make others, but we would have to pay an upcharge. Definitely ask if it's something you want. Good luck :)
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We shared a number of vendors - Homestyle Bakery, Jimmy Dee, and Silver Star, and I'm glad you had good experiences with them as well!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi...we shared a number of vendors too!
    I had Jimm Dee...used richie as DJ and he was great!  I loved Capriccio Ensemble and Natalie was wonderful to work with...they were amazing actually and one of the things I was most happy with regarding the wedding!
    And I used Graziellas...and yes hel was a little bit too laid back for my likig and it was weird also how there was no contract, etc.  but it turned out great. In fact, the night of the RD my FI ( now DH) and I were a little tense and arguing a little and he came over and was very nice and helped us ease up and enjoy our night....so that was good and the food was amazing...what was weird was that after we started our night, he was like 'gone'...didn't even check up later to see how we were making out.  It was a little weird...anyway...glad you had a fantastic experience with so many vendors!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How much was Capriccio Ensemble?  I'm helping my BFF plan her wedding and she mentioned the idea of a trio/quartet.  Don't know if it will fit her budget, though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards