Massachusetts-Boston

Place setting $?

I feel like someone posted about this recently but I've been going back and forth over what to do.
I want to register for a nice place setting but nothing too expensive, definitely dishwaser safe. I'm having a hard time finding ones that I like and once I do I'm afraid of the cost.
For those of you who registered for  formal place settings, about how much a setting were they?
Thanks ladies!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Bio -Updated 7/11 image 175 Invited image 140 Partying it up! image 17 Not going to be there image 18 Unknown
RSVP Date July 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: Place setting $?

• opalsky007opalsky007 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I registered for Mikasa Parchment. Macy's usually lists it for $49.50 per setting, but they run frequent sales, and buy-3-get-1-free deals. You can also find the 40-piece set for as low as $199 if you hit the sales at the right time (my parents did this for us).
  • edited December 2011
    Mine were Mikasa Links Platinum - $129 at Macy's
  • edited December 2011
    I can't help as we didn't register for formal - just every day from C&B.

But I did want to save I love your bouquet in your siggy!  It looks very similar to the one my MOH carried (only bigger).  I love peonies.
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were just looking at formal china this weekend.  Unfortunately, I just couldn't find anythign I really like!  Gotta keep looking.

But here's what I noticed:  I found one I liked at Macy's that was listed at $130 pps (not on sale).  But the little folder that displayed the price had other tickets in it, the same setting ranged on sale from $89 to $99!  Then we went to Bed Bath and Beyond and they had THE EXACT SAME PLACE SETTING for $89, everyday price.  And your guests can use 20% off coupons to buy it for even less.  I was talking to the saleswoman and she said they get a lot of business from Macy's for this reason, their everyday prices are same as Macy's best sale prices, no running around for your guests.

Anyway, that doesn't really answer your question, but I'd definitely look at BBB.  We saw prices for bone china ranging from around $89 to $150, probably even higher for the high end stuff (one was like$230 pps at Macys!!).  I'm hoping to find something for under $100 pps.

Crate and Barrel had some nice stuff, one plain white set (porcelain, not china) was only $35 pps and you can get a 5 place setting set for a good deal.  But I really want china, which was closer to $100 pps.  There is a range in pricing though depending on what you want.

Sorry, long post!  Hope my rambling is helpful!

PS.  They will note on the tag if the china is diswasher safe.  Note that anything that has metal rims (platinum or gold) can't be used in the microwave.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!
    We're only registering at Macys and Crate & Barrel, but that sounds like such a better price! I just dont want it to get too confusing with too many registries.

The only set I like so far is $125  a place setting not on sale but I do know Macys does run a ton of sales...do you guys think that's too much?

CC - Thanks, I love peonies but unfortunately probably wont have them in August :( I've been trying to find flowers that have a similar look!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Bio -Updated 7/11 image 175 Invited image 140 Partying it up! image 17 Not going to be there image 18 Unknown
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Which set at Macy's do you like?  Just curious!
  • edited December 2011
    http://www1.macys.com/registry/wedding/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=364932&CategoryID=32418

Its the Waterford "Ballett Icing Pearl", its the only one that I'm now in love with! hate when that happens ha
  • edited December 2011
    My china was $89 a place setting at BBB, my everyday which still feels fancy enough (IMO) for some occasions was $49 (eh maybe $55) at Crate and Barrel.
    12/12/2009
  • Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got the everyday white place settings from CB and also registered for nicer placesettings at BBB. The nicer ones were Crestwood Platinum 5pc at $49.99/set and $24.99 for the Crestwood cobalt accent plate. 

• penname11penname11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think for a formal china place setting, that price is very reasonable.  Mine was slightly more expensive, and that was the first thing to be totally fulfilled on my registry.  People seem to like to buy it - because they know it's something you'll have forever, maybe?  All I know is that FI's family had a shower for me, and they wiped out my china registry.  Now, my family is having a shower and they are all bummed that there is no china to buy. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    alpn:  Oooh, I like that!  Very pretty!  I need to look some more this weekend and see if we can find something we like.  My friend suggested if we don't like anything now, not to register for it and just wait till we find something we like.  However, I know we'll never buy it for ourselves so I really want to find china to register for!  And I think the price is fine since it will probably be less on sale at Macys.
  • edited December 2011
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_place-setting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:0301eb45-e8f3-4471-a8eb-9845bb2fecc1Post:aa8d9944-210c-46c2-8457-a54e920f01bd">Re: Place setting $?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies! We're only registering at Macys and Crate & Barrel, but that sounds like such a better price! I just dont want it to get too confusing with too many registries. The only set I like so far is $125  a place setting not on sale but I do know Macys does run a ton of sales...do you guys think that's too much? CC - <strong>Thanks, I love peonies but unfortunately probably wont have them in August :( I've been trying to find flowers that have a similar look!</strong>
    Posted by alnp27[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you can get them any season.  Are you worried about them wilting?  Ranunculus have a similar look.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Yea they're hard to get/really expensive whenever they're not in season. I might have my florist look into it but its probably not going to happen. I do love Ranunculus as well!
  • edited December 2011
    We just registered for our "formal" place settings and I love them!  We registered for Juliska "berry and thread" - they come in separates but if you add it up the 5 piece is $125 which I thought was reasonable!  I'm sure some people use this as their everyday but I'm going to look for something a little lower in price - plus I love it for my formal.
  • ebigelowebigelow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered for the Lenox Venetian Lace at Macy's - it's kind of expensive when it's not on sale ($172/place setting) but it's almost always on sale for $120.  Also, a few times a year Macy's has Friends & Family sales where it's an additional 25% off, so it was down to $90.  I agree that it seems to be the first thing gone off the registry...the invitations for my shower have not even gone out yet and all 12 settings have already been purchased for a couple of months!
  • edited December 2011
    We are registered for Kate Spade by Lenox (Gardner street) it is $139 for a 5 peice place setting and I am really hoping we get it!!  We also reigstered for white everyday stuff from c&b
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the help ladies! You helped me make my decision!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards