Massachusetts-Boston
Options

need some advice

fiance lost his jobs a few weeks ago and our wedding is becoming more and more like a dream and not a reality. With 2 kids and 1 income I cant swing it on one income. What I am struggling with is my vision and my dream not happening. Our families say just have it somewhere else(we will be out teh 1k deposit) and I am afraid if we leave I will also loose the DJ and the photographer. things are just falling apart and I cant help but feel disappointed if we dont get married where we were going to. I just feel so disappointed, I know I dont have my priorities straight at the moment I am just sad.

Re: need some advice

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear about your FI. Some things to think about are what can you cut back on. The easiest way to save money is to cut your guest list. Any chance of that? Beyond that flowers are a good place to save on. Maybe don't do an open bar. Don't have a videographer or have a family member do it. Save on paper things - eg DIY your invites, don't do the little detailed things like menus or OOT bags. If your location is that important to you, then I would just find things that aren't as important and cut back on those. Another option is to maybe postpone your HM. These are just some things I thought of off the top of my head, but I don't know if they necessarily help you out. I hope your FI finds a job soon and that it all works out for you. Keep your head up :)
    Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well the fact that your aware of your priorities shows your not completely losing them and you have every right to be disappointed. I'm so sorry your fi has joined the ranks of the unemployed and hope that he'll find a new job soon and you won't have to lose your dream wedding. I'll think good knottie thoughts for you both. In regards to advice....well only you can really make that decision about what you can afford and what you can make happen.  I would definitely contact your vendors and see if they would be willing to change location (were the vendors included in your package?)  should you need to.  See if there is anything in the contracts about moving the location as well.  I do hope everything works out in some way though.
    169 image 59 image 8 image 102 image ** RSVP Date: May 28th **
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear about your fi losing his job. Just know that things will get better and just be open to whatever comes your way and make things work. As far as your wedding goes, could you switch your date to maybe a Friday or Sunday to save money? Or switch to a date that's off season? (Although I don't know if your venue considers your date to be in- or out-of-season). Also, make changes with your menu, only do a salad, dinner, and dessert course. You could also skip the cocktail hour if you were planning on having on, or you could do a cocktail reception. Maybe you could switch to less expensive packages from your vendors if that's an option. Just hang in there and take some time to sort things out. I know it seems like there's no way to get by (fi and I have both lost our jobs within the past year). We have been lucky to find good, stable jobs now, so just hang in there and see where things go! Your fi can use your local career center for all their resources, so definitely take advantage of those. Good luck with everything, it will get better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards