New York-Hudson Valley

Ho much is "enough" food for cocktail hour?

I am seeinga lot of different packages for cocktail hour. Different stations ect.. How much is "enough"? or not?

Re: Ho much is "enough" food for cocktail hour?

• kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    To me, "enough" would be 2 or 3 appetizers in addition to bruschetta and fresh veggie trays. That should certainly be enough to feed everyone for an hour.

IMO, we had way more than enough:
    cheese display, roasted veggies, crostini station, crudites, fresh veggies, carving board, 2 pastas, asian wok station, 4 chafing dishes, lamb chops, and 10 passed appetizers

imageimageimage
  • mockninemocknine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are having-

cheese and crackers
    fruit
    veggies and dip
    8 passed items (hot and cold)
    pasta station (2 pastas/2 sauces)
    antipasto station
    carving (1 meat)

i am happy with this.  i think it's not too much, and not too little.  most people eat a lot at the cocktail hour because they are starving by the time they get to the venue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think different people have different ideas of what is "enough".  If you come from a family of big eaters, they'll probably expect more at the cocktail hour.  I'd also say if you have a lot of guests from out of the area, they are probably used to a lot less food then most places in the area include.  Our guests were a mix of NY/NJ Italians & Jews and they really like food so there's no such thing as too much :)
  • riverjibriverjib member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a guest, I've usually found that I'm not even hungry by the time the reception starts. Cocktail hours usually offer so much food that unless I was in the wedding party and busy taking pictures and mingling, I don't eat much at the reception. I wouldn't worry too much about how much food you're providing during the cocktail hour. It's rare that your guests walk away hungry :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards