Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Cost of Wedding Photography?

I know there have been a lot of posts on which photographer to use, but I was hoping some of you could share how much you're spending on photography, or a range of what you've seen. I've just started planning our wedding and have no clue what a reasonable price/budget is for photography.  Thanks!

Re: Cost of Wedding Photography?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It depends.  You can spend very little or you can spend $10K.  I've seen some gorgeous photos taken by new up-and-comers and I've seen crappy photos taken by someone who is expensive and been in the business for years. I'd say the average is between $2500 and $3500 from what I've seen.  You can definitely do it for less.   I'd say just check out some different photographers' website to see what you like and go from there.  I found my photographer based on some fantastic recommendations he's received on The Knot (Scott Metzger).  I'm paying about $3500 for 7 hours, two photographers, an album, and DVD proofs.    HTH!
    *Kelly* MARRIED to the love of my life October 17, 2009!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that the average is around $2500-3500. The lowest I have seen is about $500 from new photographers who are just getting their businesses started. I've also seen a number of photographers priced between $1000-2000 to start.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First photographer we looked at gave us a price quote of $3300 and that was for 7 hours of coverage, DVD quality disc of all pictures, photo album for us, plus 4 mini albums, and engagement shoot. She has been in the industry for a while.We ended up going with a different photographer (John LoConte) and are not only spending $1500 - That included engagement shoot, 2 CDs (one with all the retouched photos and proofs) all the retouched photos printed 4x6 and one photo of our choosing i like 16x20. No album included but with the retouched photos all printed we could DIY our own photo album. He has been in the industry for a while but he recently started his own company which is why he is still really cheap!But I've generally seen packages from $1500-$5000. HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine is about 5K including unlimited coverage, STDs and TY notes, e pics and a TTD shoot, a hand sewn album and rights to all images.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying $2600 for the following:2 photographersengagement sessionunlimited wedding day coverage4x6 proofs of all wedding day imagesonline viewing/orderingdigital negative DVD w/ copyrights12x12 modern image album with 100 images11x14 portraitOur original goal was to stay under $2500 but I think we got a great deal.  I think the average for this area is $2500-$4000.
    10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
    image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!
  • Options
    richkatmrichkatm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying 1,200 for the following...8 hours of coverageAlbum for usAlbums for our ParentsCD with pics and rights to ALL photosOur photographer is a pro but also happens to be related to FFIL. Its my understanding that he's charging us his regular price tho. I've seen his pics and albums they're really great. He is also able to get us teaser pics the next day.
  • Options
    richkatmrichkatm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I forgot the 8x10's for the parents too...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    SBOSTON06 that looks like a GREAT package..who are you using? THX! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ladies, thanks for all the responses - it's been extremely helpful! I've budgeted around $2000 - $2500 so I'm glad to hear that I'll be able to find something in that range. It's funny how expensive you would've considered something before wedding planning, but now that I've wrapped my head around wedding prices, $2000 doesn't seem too bad. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, just realized that I switched to my fiance's laptop and the post came through as his account (ats) - the thanks is from me! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using David Bibeault Photography out of Lincoln, RI.  He's been great to work with so far and both my fiance and I are really comfortable with him.http://www.davidbibeaultphotography.com/
    10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
    image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    On a related note, what do you discuss with a photographer when you are meeting with them for the first time? In terms of comparing one to the other? Is it a basic meet and greet where they share some albums and offer you a quote? Should we come prepared with specifics types of questions?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Remember all prices and packages are negotiable. Also check out Kevin Jacobus Photo. He is really great, laid back, and puts everyone at ease. Also most photographers will reduce prices for off season or Friday or Sunday weddings. Kevin will definitely fall in your price range.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We spent $3800 for: -2 photographers-engagement session-8 hours of coverage-Printed proofs (about 600-700 images, fully edited)-High res discWe haven't bought our album yet, but the ones we're looking at are $1800-2200.   
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our package is $2K with Chicago/Boston photog Heather Parker. Link to epic in bio. I believe her rates have gone up as her popularity has increased (recently voted a Knot "Best Of." Admittedly, this is for one shooter only (all day) with no albums. Includes full rights to all images (in color and black and white on CD), 30 retouched images and a handful of larger keepsake prints. Engagement session also included.
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • Options
    sandra78sandra78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we also used Heather Parker. I think her rates are much higher than we paid. She was in the best of magazine of the knot and i can't imagine she would be low budget. link to ours http://vimeo.com/4448948
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards