Massachusetts-Boston
Options

tragic gift tales

In jkepros's post about gifts, the subject of terrible gifts received came up. Per Meaghan's request....discuss, with no fear of judgment for being rude/selfish/whatever! DH is from a tiny, tiny town in northwest Ohio, and while the people are lovelyand kind, they are living in another world. One woman gave us this huge fake stone platter engraved "I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE" on a 3 foot wrought iron easel. Lovely sentiment, but no thank you. the absolute best/worst was a gift that came wrapped in paper towels. yes, paper towels. it was a little gold wire sculpture with two hearts and 2 red plastic jewels. then, we unrolled another paper towel to find two plastic LED pink votives with hearts and flames all over them. wow, awesome. and then the piece de resistance: "love dice"...already opened...and dirty...and the gift giver said "well I just got divorced so I don't need them anymore...I thought you could have fun with them!" we sure had a whole lot of fun throwing in the trash immediately upon our arrival at the cleveland airport.

Re: tragic gift tales

• Options
    jenvaletjenvalet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I certainly can't beat you, livandrich!  Used LED dice??Here are a few, I mentioned below, but then thought of some more:-Silver engraded piggy bank-box of hangers-some fugly pictures-a candy dish with Halls lozenges with a book on how to clean
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HAHAHAHAHAHA....gross!!!  Used "love dice?"  That's classy.
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    umm the halls lozengse cracked me up! because i am imagining your face when you opened it..."oh, throat lozenges, yum! AND a cleaning book?!?!? thank yuo so much!"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hahah omg love it. Yeah wedding gifts were actually pretty good and mostly cash. Butttt, for my shower my mother in law got me naughty lingerie (creep) and a polka dot pillow that said, 'I made a wish and you came true.' Puuuuke. (yeah, we don't get along) Another person got me dunks ground coffee. I mean, I love dunks, but it was a bizarre shower gift.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DH's aunt & uncle gave us a random set of pillow cases.  I don't get it, maybe they're supposed to mean something?  They also gave us money, so I don't know why they gave us the pillow cases too.  So odd!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jenvaletjenvalet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and to top it off, the couple that gave us the lozenges, well, they are mult-millionaires!  We honestly thought we'd be making some bank with them!  Guess we were wrong!  And the Halls were not even in a regular package.  They were in a ziploc!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hahahahahahahhhaah even funnier!
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    edited December 2011
    LMAO... maybe the lozenges weren't supposed to be part of the gift, and they just got accidently wrapped up with the dish.  Although you never know.  Some people are just kookie!
    Bio
  • Options
    jenvaletjenvalet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, the lozenges were suppsed to be there.  She made reference to them in the card.  Something along the lines of - these are for when you have guests over, everyone can use a lozenge.  So odd!
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    edited December 2011
    HA!  That's great.  Who DOESN'T want a lozenge?   I was looking at kitchen stuff online at Macy's and just noticed that I can get the plates we registered for for 65% off!!  I am very tempted to just buy them myself!!
    Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jen- MIL's "rich" cousin's didn't give us anything.  We don't care (we got plenty, no complaints here) , but we would have expected something given all the talking MIL does about how rich they are!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I could actually use a lozenge right now...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, a good one: When my sister got married they eloped so people kind of got them presents sporadically in the year following the elopement. Tons of her husband's really Italian family members sent them baby items (crib, car seat, big ticket items!) as wedding gifts. It confused my mom so much she thought my sister was hiding a pregnancy. So crazy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jen and Lucy: it is kind of crazy to see how little you might get from people you consider 'rich'. Not that it matters in the long run but it makes you really appreciate the things people get you who don't have as much. I guess that is why they are rich, they don't give it away! lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe from now on I'll include lozenges into every wedding gift I give. ;-) We'd have to go through a ton of "love dice" to do the same with those.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't had a shower or wedding yet, but I have been to a few shindigs with some pretty lousy gifts.  My old roommate, who is one of my BMs, has a sister that is a totally wacky gift giver.  She is super cheap (always says she has no money, but then spends tons on herself for shoes, to go to these wacky sci fi conventions, etc).  They have a lot of cousins that have recently gotten married, and each gift has been wackier than the one before.  THe first cousin got a $25 check (yeah... for a relative, and when you and hubby go and eat their food and drink from their bar... fantastic).  The next two to get married were brothers (within months of each other) and each of them got an ugly vase and a book on making centerpieces (both probably purchased on clearance).  Another one got a reusable shopping bag with a few bottles of "green" cleaning supplies.  The piece de resistance, though... the last cousin that got married, who roomie's sister is supposedly "so close" with, etc...  there was no gift brought to the wedding, but then it was shipped not long afterward.  Their cousin opened it and inside the box was a red velvet pillow.  The cousin found it to be a little odd, but then felt that there was something inside of the pillow.  There was a 'secret' compartment in the pillow, and inside she found a whip, handcuffs, a mask, and edible underwear!  She got them a SEX TOY FILLED PILLOW.  For a WEDDING GIFT.I didn't invite her to my wedding (because she's a loon) but I almost wanted to so that I could see what I'd get as a gift ;)  Oh, one time, a mutual friend of ours had kind of a quickie wedding because her now husband was being deployed.  We had a little "shower" for her, and crazy woman bought her a waterproof v!brator.  She told our friend that she had one just like it, and our friend would probably need it since her husband was going to be gone for a while.  Yeah..... crazy.
    *Kelly* MARRIED to the love of my life October 17, 2009!
  • Options
    jenvaletjenvalet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a few no-gift givers.  Most were my husband's friends.   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about guests who don't give anything? One of DH's buddies got him a Shoebox card with that crazy old lady. Ok fine, at least he took a few minutes out of his day to sign a card. However, I have another guest who didn't give us anything. This was the same person who called in his rsvp 3 weeks after the rvsp deadline and then proceeded to invite a plus one, even though he's single. One other college friend telephoned us a few days after the wedding and said, "OMG, I had your money card in my jacket the entire night and left w/out giving it to you. I'm so embarrassed." Two months later, we still haven't received the card in the mail. So, I'd rather receive a pink pillowcase or even a set of used die instead of nothing at all. Just rude! How do you attend a wedding and not give a gift?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How do you attend a wedding and not give a gift?No.idea.When ever this comes on on P&E the girls freak out on the poster and tell them no one HAS to give a gift. Ok, yes. You should not ever expect gifts and yes, there are many people these days who are not in a position to give one financially buttttt (barring real hardship) this is an etiquette point I really disagree with them on. I think people should bring gifts to weddings. Done deal. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had very few people bring actual gifts to the wedding (I think we got 3).  Most people just gave cards & money, or sent gifts before or after.  They're still coming in the mail and some people have said they haven't gotten anything for us yet, but they intend to.  A lot of people think you have a year to send a gift.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooops yeah Lucy, I meant to clarify not that they have to literally bring them to the wedding... but you get the idea...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meaghan I agree with you on this one. (and no worries of judgement...this DEF isnt P & E for a reason). In almost every tradition, weddings are a coming together of a family or community to celebrate the creation of a new family and to help the bride and groom get on their feet. Gifts are a way of expressing that.It really doesnt have to be expensive, either. Really the gesture is nice. In the situations of financial hardship, there are still ways to express this: sentimental handmade gifts are so nice, IMHO.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And while we're at it, I think the 1 year rule is BS.  What are they waiting for?  The divorce?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just have to say, I've had a crappy week, and this whole post is cracking me up! Yay! I also agree with fool - the one year BS is nonsense. Wasn't there something recently - "updated etiquette" or something that said the "year" thinking is outdated and no longer applies? No one has a year for anything - not for giving gifts, not for sending out thank you cards, IMO...
  • Options
    Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, these are some whacky gifts you girls got! I honestly think I need to practice my poker face in case I open something horrifying at my shower. I am thinking of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when the grandma wraps up a gelatin dessert and her cat.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    seriously, the no gift thing is beyond me. virtually all of our friends did not give gifts. seriously. and, oddly, the ones who did were DH's college roommates who flwe to MA from LA, are all boys, and had their acts together enough to get gift cards at least! but seriously, almost none of our other colelge friends gave us gifts and we are talking 35-ish people here. we are chalkign it up to them being young, stupid, and broke, and our wedding did involve travel and hotel for most people, but still.....nothing?!?!? not even a card???? while of course this isn't the point, part of me wants to yell "do you have any idea how much this party cost?!?!?!?!?!?!??" AND my parents hosted a 4th of july party the next day and have received 3 thank you notes. fools.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, even if you were laid off, what's an extra $25?  Seriously? If you were able to fly from LA to Boston and pay for accommodations, I'm sure you have an extra $25.  Am I just being snotty here?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meaghan, I figured that's what you meant!I think 1 year is BS too.  Within a few months is fine, especially given the economy, but it should be as close to the wedding as possible.  We haven't gotten anything from DH's brother.  He said he would help with some electrical work we need done (he's an electrician), but that was our x-mas gift last year and the year before and it still isn't done.  We're looking into hiring someone.   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh goodness, I'm just imagining what my grandmother is going to get us....let's just say she doesn't have the best taste in...anything really.I don't care if people say you don't HAVE to get a present, couples are paying easily up to $100 per person for a wedding (if you include liquor) at least show that you are thankful by giving SOMETHING. Doesn't need to be worth the same amount as what the couple paid for you, but seriously, I think that it's rude and cheap to not give a gift...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, so this is not tragic at all just funny. I got a gift from my mom's friend, who was not invited to the wedding. I was totally not expecting a gift from this person, who I don't really know. So it was sweet that they thought of me. But onto the gift--it is a set of dolls in Korean wedding attire (so far, so good). Here's the catch--the dolls are in a clear plastic case that is about 2 feet high and 18" wide [i.e. pretty big for knick-knack]. Anyway, if you plug in this case with the dolls the whole thing blinks wildly with colored LED's and the dolls bow. Flashing lights and bowing continuously. There is no off switch. Anyway, it is neat to see what Korean wedding attire is (we are not Korean), and the dolls are kind of cool. But we haven't figured out where we are supposed to put this huge plastic display case. And we definitely aren't leaving it plugged in! (as an aside, this is actually the second set of Korean bride & groom dolls we received. I'm inferring it is a traditional gift? The other set is actually really cute--8" high ceramic dolls. No lights or bowing.)
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards