Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Entrees

I need everyone's opinion on reception entrees, we can pick 2 options but won't know exactly what they are until a few weeks before because the chef uses seasonal ingredients.  Since my friend is getting married in Boston she chose to say by land (chicken/beef) or by sea (seafood) on the invitations. We are now having a hard time deciding what the by land should be, beef or chicken.  Any input would be appreciated.Thanks!! :)

Re: Entrees

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We were allowed two choices, so we chose a beef (prime rib) or chicken (a fall seasonal dish).  We also have a vegetarian option.  Most of our crowd are not big seafood lovers, so we avoided that.  I would probably choose a beef if you were set on having the other entree be seafood.
    *Kelly* MARRIED to the love of my life October 17, 2009!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we did beef as well and had shrimp as our seafood. we also had our reception at Anthony's Pier 4 and they don't typically have chicken on their menu and the steak was a HUGE hit (we had more people have steak than shrimp) hope that helped a little and good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did beef because we knew we wanted a surf and turf for our one choice (filet mignon and lobster) so we thought about doing a chicken as the other option. However, after our tasting and after we saw Rachel Ray interview our place and recommend the Halibut dish we decided to go with the fish. Do a tasting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is the eternal debate. I guess it depends on what your crowd is like. Chicken tends to be safer (more people like it), but it can also be made in many different ways so that's tough to gauge (e.g., it could be chicken marsala which I wouldn't like since it has mushrooms). Beef, on the other hand, is pretty predictable and consistent. Our two dishes were filet mignon or chicken with shrimp, and about 2/3 of our guests choose the filet. Personally I love steak so I always choose the beef option when available.
    Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing salmon and steak.  There will also be a vegetarian option and perhaps a kids meal (depending on how many end up coming).
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jenvaletjenvalet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We chose due to budget, as the beef was a lot more expensive. And our coordinator said if you offer beef, more people will choose that over other options. So we went with salmon and chicken, but also had a silent vegetarian option.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's really up to you and what you think your guests will prefer.  I knew that 1/2 of my DH's family didn't like steak or seafood, so we gave them a chicken option.  I personally never order chicken at a wedding b/c it tends to be dried out or swimming in some bizarre cream sauce.  You should probably do a tasting to see how the chicken is prepared.
  • Options
    Brads GirlBrads Girl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we have filet mignon or baked scrod.....being by the water we wanted a fish dish, and fish and chicken seemed weird to me, so beef it was! and as the rsvps come in, its pretty split between fish and beef.  Good Luck!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We offered fillet mignon, crabcake, lobster, or salmon.  So far, pretty much everyone is choosing the crabcake or lobster.  I would definitely keep a seafood option!
  • Options
    EmstarmeEmstarme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't eat seafood or steak/beef so I am definitely partial to the chicken option. I was thinking about doing steak and chicken, however, I do know that chicken and seafood are generally less expensive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would personally choose beef and seafood. As mentioned by pp, I've had some dry and bland chicken before and it was not good. Keep the seafood.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards