New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Frustrated with DJ Vendors...

Hi Ladies!

So I am getting married NYE 2011 and I am starting to get very frustrated with most of the vendors I am meeting with...I feel like they are trying to take advantage of the fact that it is a NYE wedding and basically doubling the prices! For instance I have heard nothing but great things on the board about The DJ Company, and how reasonable the prices are so I went ahead and contacted them and asked them for some pricing and it is insane! $10,000 for a Rockland county DJ??? I'm sorry but doesn't that same outrageous? I have previously met with Jimmy Dee (who I heard was more expensive) and they quoted me at $5,000.  Has anyone else experienced higher rates because of the date of their wedding? Maybe I am just unrealistic…Cry
 ADVISE PLEASE!! Am I just crazy? Or do these rates seem pretty high? Please be honest, as I respect honesty! Thanks Ladies!!! 

~Mich

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Frustrated with DJ Vendors...

• Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    10k for a dj is insane, but I would imagine that with your wedding being on NYE, a dj would be one of the vendors with higher prices that day. I would keep looking, maybe you'll find a dj who didn't quadruple their prices.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    tstegertsteger member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I have the DJ Company booked, and they were several hundred dollars cheaper then Jimmy Dee.  They MUST be increasing due to NYE.  That is absolutely insane!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can contact my DJ - Strictly Entertainment DJs - Gary Whittaker.  He was really awesome to work with.

www.strictlyentertainmentdjs.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    try contacting jamie from dancetime, he was great at our wedding. not sure what his deal is on nye though. 

it's going to be an expensive night to get a dj for, they all work nye, and are in high demand. 
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_frustrated-dj-vendors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:bf384a1a-d5c6-4e25-b611-d47a4c4316eePost:a735aea7-bcc0-49c5-8a6a-d4e196227042">Re: Frustrated with DJ Vendors...</a>:
    [QUOTE]10k for a dj is insane, but I would imagine that with your wedding being on NYE, a dj would be one of the vendors with higher prices that day. I would keep looking, maybe you'll find a dj who didn't quadruple their prices.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

Agree!  10K for a DJ is ridiculous!!!1  But, it is probably due to the date of your wedding.....and they know someone will pay it
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    wdubin122wdubin122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NYE is a major gig for DJ's and they can charge as much as they want.  I would think many of your vendors may charge more because it is for NYE.
  • Options
    prshelleyprshelley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you for all the advice ladies! I knew off the bat that I would be paying more for a DJ on NYE but some of these rates are insane...I think I am going to stick with my first choice of JimmyDee. I really liked the person we met with and although it is a little over what I wanted to pay, if they are all that expensive that I might as well go with my first choice.

thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    !0,000 IS insane! I get it's New Years eve, but you would think that at most they might triple the price. But that would mean their normal price was over 3K. Way too much for a DJ in my opinion!

Glad you found someone who will give you a decent (well, based on the situation) price!

Hope all of the rest of your planning is less stressful!

And a NYE wedding sounds so cool!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    10k for a DJ From The DJ Company doesn't sound right at all!!!  I used them for my wedding (not on NYE) and they were just under $2,000.  My cousin booked them for 2011/2012 NYE Wedding and it cost them $2,100. 

I called my cousin and asked her if she heard of The DJ Company charging 10k for a New Years Eve Package and if so, how she got such a great deal @ $2,100 -- she replied "they do have a $10,000 package but its way too crazy, including a balloon drop, 10 lights, a DJ, MC, Party Motivators, Giveaways, Cocktail System, Percussionist, and even more stuff"

So, I would call them back and double check about their rates.  I used them, they were FABULOUS, and they're always reviewed on here as being very fairly priced. 

Who did you speak to?  I worked with Ryan, call and speak with him.

Sorry to hear things aren't going so smoothly.  It'll work itself out.
  • Options
    prshelleyprshelley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HI Ladies - I just wanted to let you all know that I did speak with the DJ Company again and they said that they are willing to work with me on the packages, that the 10K package is the "soup to nuts" package and that hotels and clubs are usually the only people that book that package....they were VERY NICE, following up with 2 additional emails.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mcervonimcervoni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would reach out to Black Diamond DJ (Mike Z). He is doing our October wedding and so far has been great (prices are just right too!) http://www.blackdiamonddj.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards