Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Emily Post on Etiquette for Weddings

This weekend, my dad and I were perusing the shelves at a used bookstore in Maine. I snagged a early edition copy of Emily Post's Etiquette: The Blue Book of Social Usage for only a quarter.I am totally amused by it, reading a social testimony of society in the early 20th century. Here is the introduction to her chapter on wedding preparations:"This chapter begins with a complete description of the most elaborate wedding possible. Not because more than a minority among us will be able--or want to--carry out every detail, but because it is the complete pattern. In other words, it is important to explain all possible details of perfection so that you can follow as many as you find practical and pleasing to you!It is beautiful, impressive, and the bride's day-of-days. But remember, the groom has a place in it too and his wishes should be consulted. If the wedding is to be a large formal one, expert help should be arranged for well in advance to avoid last-minute confusion. Otherwise Father may be irritated, Mother jittery, the bride in tears, and the groom rather cross."Thanks, Emily.

Re: Emily Post on Etiquette for Weddings

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like good advice to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that this excerpt was copied and pasted from the knot.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is really neat! I would love to read this. Tell me more tidbits! I bet there are all sorts of outrageous things like guests not wearing gloves should be scorned.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    But remember, the groom has a place in it too and his wishes should be consulted. Liar! haha I kid.  too funny.  I think more than likely Mother will be irritated, jittery and in tears haha.  And the groom better NOT be cross.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is definitely interesting to see what parts are timeless, and still ring true today. Others are definitely dated. Emily Post on bridesmaids "costumes":"The costumes of the bridesmaids--slipper, stockings, dresses, couquets, gloves, and hats--are selected by the bride, without considering or even consulting them as to their taste or preference. This rule is important to note. On occasion a bride will try to consult them and get all to agree, but long experience has proved that six girls almost certainly quarrel over six opposed ideas. Bridesmaids, therefore, customarily wear and pay for what the bride chooses. That is the rule. The only consolation is that, if they are ugly, she gets full blame. If they are lovely, she gets the credit."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That BM dress excerpt is so fitting... Starting the search for those now... :o)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love it!!!But...  what's a "couquet" and was I supposed to have my BM's get one?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha, sorry! typo. bouquet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards