Massachusetts-Boston
Options

My Apt is making me sick

:(  I had my annual physical today. All is good except I have been feeling some tightness in my throat and my ears have been bothering me for about a mont. My dr. checked my glands and they wer OUTRAGEOUSLY swollen, plus I have some serious post nasal drip and fluid is building up in my ears. When I told her I lived in a basement apt that recenlty had some mold her eyes nearly bugged out of her head. She told me I needed to get a new place ASAP. Although it's just minor things now, she said over the years it could get really bad. I have to take some allergy meds for 6 weeks to see if it gets better and if not I might have to get tubes but in my ears because of the eustachian dysfunction. I really like my apt and this is making me sad. Not to menton that we can't aafford much else right now with saving for the wedding. Aw poo!

Re: My Apt is making me sick

• Options
    edited December 2011
    that's sucky!  I actually saw an Extreme Makeover: Home Edition where they rebuilt a house because the mold was making the little boys really sick...better safe than sorry!
  • Options
    sprinkles2003sprinkles2003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, I hear that! We're moving out of a basement apt too as of Sept 1. We already started packing up stuff from a closet we keep random crap in...half of it's moldy.Sigh. I wont miss this place!
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OH, that totally stinks!!!  I hope that you can find someplace else that you love as much and that doesn't break the bank. 
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can't your landlord do anything about it? If mold is making you sick, then the apartment is definitely unsanitary, which is the landlords responsibility to provide.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh no!! I agree with spuccio and would go to the landlord first....you shouldn't have to live with mold! Well whatever happens, I hope that everything turns out well!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cazzysmithcazzysmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that totally sucks, definitely ask your landlord.  hope everything works out!  gl
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going to talk to the landlord this week. We had mold on the windowsills which I was able to get rid of for good with this spray but then we had the puddles on the floor and that cause mold in the carpeting. I got it off the surface but I KNOW it's probably festering under the carpet. Dr. said I need to get a heppa filter?? Which is like $300 and he needs to rip up the carpeting. She was so funny. She's like "You need to be in a brand new building with all hard woods and no pets"   OK let me just build myself a new house with my millions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That totally sucks!!! That is funny about the doctor though.  It was the same thing when i went to get tested for allergies.  They said wall to wall carpeting is bad for allergies.  I was like, ok, we're just gonna rip up all of the carpet upstairs and put hardwood floors in....right.... We actually walked away from a house that we almost bought last month because there was so much mold in the attic.  i've heard such bad things about it, didn't want to deal with it!!!  GL!!!!
  • Options
    cappellachicacappellachica member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't hesitate to move! Start looking right away. I know exactly how you feel, this happened with us a few years ago in my old apartment. There was black mold in the walls that couldn't be seen to the naked eye and these mold spores easily get into fabrics and the air unseen. I didn't know what was wrong with me and initially they thought I was having panic attacks because I said I couldn't breathe and I was getting bad headaches. One night I had a horrible allergic reaction, got allergy tested and it turned out all my headaches, ear infections, etc were due to the apartment.***I have permanent partial hearing loss and sinus problems from this, don't hesitate like I did just go!Needless to say we've moved into a great apartment we can barely afford but we're all healthy now! If you are having problems getting out of your lease or want backpayment for rent because of health problems can be intitled to this. I got involved with my local board of health & Massachusetts Tenant/Landlord laws. What a total bummer. I'm sorry you have to go through all this & I wish you nothing but good health! :o)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards