Massachusetts-Boston

KWR religious question

I have a coworker that is getting married in a couple of weeks and I mentioned to some other coworkers that I think we should do a little something for him, as I would hate for his wedding to go unacknowledged. The only thing is that he is a Jehovah's Witness, and I know that generally, they do not acknowledge occasions. They did, however, have a shower and are having a big wedding, so apparently, they will celebrate that. Is anyone out there familiar with the traditions of JWs and know how we could appropriately acknowledge their wedding? Would it be okay for people to pitch in to get them a gift? Being that I'm in wedding planning mode myself, I'm kind of in tune to that and know that I'd feel a little bit hurt if my coworkers didn't acknowledge my wedding, and I would hate for him to feel that way (although, being a guy, he may just not care... who knows?) I just would not want to make him uncomfortable or acknowledge his marriage in a way that would be inappropriate for his beliefs. TIA for any thoughts.
*Kelly* MARRIED to the love of my life October 17, 2009!

Re: KWR religious question

• edited December 2011
    I randomly just search for Jehovah's Witness and wedding gifts and found some information... the info I found said that gifts are acceptable for weddings but not birthdays, christmas, etc. Just to be safe I'd call a Kingdom Hall (their church) in the area and ask someone there. There is one in Burlington on Winn Street. They will know for sure!
  • edited December 2011
    my FBIL and a childhood friend follows that religion.  Weddings and anniversaries are one things they are able to celebrate.  It is okay to give a gift/ acknowledge the event.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • cazzysmithcazzysmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    a friend of FI is a Witness and doesn't celebrate b-days or anything. I couldn't even call a party I was having around the holidays last year a "christmas" party or she wouldn't come. But I know she & her husband had a nice wedding & rec'd wedding gifts, so I say go for it and pitch in for a gift.
  • edited December 2011
    My brother who passed away last year was JW. We didn't call each other on birthdays, but mom did make him come to Christmas and stuff. And she DID call him on his birthday. That's moms.... anyway, he wouldn't get too offended because the reason as he put it was, every day was supposed to be special. It wasn't so much that he thought he'd get smote for being wished a happy b-day. But his widow is standing in my wedding. And she got me a gift for my shower. So don't worry, they "do" weddings. You won't offend them by getting them a nice gift.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards