Massachusetts-Boston
Options

MrsBins

Hi Mrs. Bins! I am looking to get into counseling (am a book editor in Manhattan now, but husband moved to Providence to start his residency and I want to get into therapy in some form--have wanted to for a while!). Anyway, your job sounds amazing. Do you mind me asking: How did you get into it? Are you a LSW? I have a BA in English, but was planning on going back to school to get a degree in social work; is this the way to go, do you think? Thanks so so much in advance. 

Re: MrsBins

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I have my msw and am an LCSW. I think the most important thing to consider is the motivation for wanting to be a social worker and really think about the income implications. It's easy to say, oh I don't mind making less money, or, I just want to help people-and those things are certainly true for some but a career change-partuculary one that involves grad school (and a LOT of debt) isn't something to be taken lightly. That being said, most days I love my job and the pay is the only huge complaint.
  • Options
    robinmswrobinmsw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to butt in, but I'm also a social worker (LICSW) and I love talking social work :o)  If you're looking to do therapy, I would definitely recommend getting an MSW--as opposed to masters in counseling, masters in clinical psych, etc.  It's definitely the most flexible degree and, generally speaking, places are much more often looking for MSWs/L(I)CSWs than any other degree.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, both! This is really helpful. I am used to making no money, ha--I make none right now (book publishing editing salaries start in the high 20's/low 30's--in NYC), and am honestly losing money by living in the city. I am nervous about getting into serious debt, though, especially with my husband already in lots of it from medical school (and residency doesn't pay). Sigh. But at least it would mean we're in the same city, sharing an apartment and expenses--we're long-distance now. ANYWAY, sorry, rambling on here.Anyway, thanks Robin for underscoring the importance of getting an MSW over any other degree--I had heard that, and it's good to have it confirmed. It sounds like you really love your job(s), which is great to hear.I am going to start looking at schools soon, and seeing if I can really make this happen. We'll see. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards