Massachusetts-Boston
Options

NWR: Tipping in General (off Hadley2B's post)

So I used to tip like 20%+ everywhere...even more at places like salons.  When I was a kid I worked at a cafe and used to get tips, and vowed to always be a good tipper.  But recently I have been SOOOOO disappointed in the quality of service when I go out, I've started tipping less and less.  I also think the TIP cup has gotten out of control.  Why the F do people working at a counter who really DO NOTHING deserve a tip???  Oh, you think you deserve a tip for ringing me up???  I don't think so.I think tips should REALLY only be given when people go above and beyond.  I am sick of people assuming they should get 20% for barely doing their job.  It sucks that restaurants are excluded from minimum wage bc of the assumption of tips because I know some people bust their A and barely get by.  But other lazy Fs get big fat tips for terrible service.  BLAH!  FI and I decided to boycott automatic tipping.  We have only been giving 15% for GOOD service, and less for anything less than GOOD.  *steps off soapbox*
Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
by Shannon Sorensen Photography
My hubby & I rock the frock.
Bio

Re: NWR: Tipping in General (off Hadley2B's post)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would eliminate tipping in restaurants, if I could have things my way. Here's why:- Restaurants should be treated like every other employer and pay at least minimum wage to their wait staff. Why do they get away with paying employees $2-3 an hour?- Increasing the hourly pay rate would provide the incentive to wait staff to provide good service. In other industries and companies, if you don't perform, you lose your job. No job, no money. Make the money worthwhile for people to want to keep their job. They'll do a good job to keep a job that pays well. It's that simple.- Tips should only be given when a customer wants to give it. Some customers will be stingy but restaurants are wrong to for expecting a tip, in some cases they even charge for tip/gratuity (for larger groups).Yes, this is something I have thought about. I never understood why my DH still gave a 15% tip when we had worse-than-crappy service in the past. Tipping good service and bad service the same amount does not make sense to me. It's become something restaurants expect. I used to work as a waitress and know the dependency on tips, but it should not be that way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another question: Would it be so difficult for restaurants to list the real, final price on their menus to build in their "tip" expectations? No need for calculating and deciding upon a tip amount on the customer's behalf. Maybe a service-oriented business owner could enlighten me!jkepros, I do feel the pain with you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    um my H gives the Mickey D's drivethru gal a couple dollars. He is the WORST at tipping for no reason. I always threaten to withhold tips when we get bad service but I have seen him slip in extra money right before we get up. I do not feel bad in the least giving nothing or next to nothing for some one who has not done their job. I do however tip very generously for people who do their job. Smile and me and bring me extra napkins and you got your 20%. It is not thaaaat hard.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Being a PT waitress myself and growing up with my mom always being waitress, I do tend to tip above and beyond what is the norm, but that is only for good service. I personally tip generally 15%-20% for average-good service, but up to 25% to at times 30% for amazing service. I do this only because I know that to make ANY $$ (as any $ they get in a paycheck goes to Uncle Sam) you need to be a good waitress so I think they deserve more than 20% when on their game. That being said - I will be the FIRST person to send my food back if it's not cooked properly (I'm such a med-rare brat, per FI!), the first to openly comment about poor service to the server, recommend they take something off the check or add free dessert for any disappointment and the have no problem leaving barely anything for terrible service (I can't leave 0, I don't have it in me lol). It's a hard job where you have to be ON and smiling no matter what, so I definitely sympthasize, but at the same time, be a good server or get out of the business! What's the point if you aren't making $$?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OH and I HATE HATE HATE the TIP cups at Dunkins - HATE...did I say Hate? LOL Only because I always have terrible service (medium toasted almond milk 2 splenda - write it down if you can't remember it!!) and never tip at those places unless it's the holidays or something and someone was extra friendly, efficient, etc. I love the Honeydew girls, I do tend to give them tips as my coffee is always perfect and I go there so frequently that I always get the same ones, etc... OK I am starting to think...Do I Tip too much? LOL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I COMPLETELY agree with everything said!  (I get the same coffee at Dunkins...medium almond with skim and 2 splenda:)) and I agree that honeydew is better and right on every time!My rule of thumb: 15% if you're good and attentive, 20% if you're fantastic and make my time more enjoyable because you were my waitress/waiter, but less than 15% if you ruined my "happy place" while I was dining! 
  • Options
    Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have experienced the very best and the very worst. I hate to say it, but "luckily" FI has an allergy that usually sends waitservice into Overattentive Mode (he's celiac), which can in turn become a little annoying when they seem to ask every 3.5 minutes if everything is ok. I Honestly think they are waiting on baited breath to see if he swells up or keels over.  I can't say we ever undertip, because we're both a couple of guilt-ridden fools, but we definitely overtip for great or exceptional service. And for the record, I'm another medium/skim/2-splenda gal. I can't stand Dunks anymore. They never get it right or the coffee is old and charred tasting.
  • Options
    LanaJadeLanaJade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so glad there are still gals who tip 15% for good service. I'm hearing that some wait staff think 18% is the norm for good service because of inflation. Well, if prices went up then the 15% tip also went up. Usually, it'll only be a few dollars difference but it adds up over time.
  • Options
    spizlett410spizlett410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Totally not trying to be snarky here because I waitressed for 5 years (and actually cocktail waitressed for a friend this weekend) and I do agree that tips need to be earned. But sometimes people don't realize that if the restaurant had to raise the wages of servers, the price of food would go up.  I don't want to pay more for food or I couldn't afford to eat out (yay wedding saving).  I just want good service and you'll get a good tip.  Easy as that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    splizlett-  if wages of servers went up, I would expect the price of food to increase. The point is there would be no need with the tipping non-sense. The suggestiion is to transfer the money we pay in tips to the cost of "food + server wage." People tend to provide good service when they don't want to lose their "good"-paying jobs. That said, I am sure the idea will never take off in the US. I've been to places where the cost of eating out was a no-nonsense experience and life was just simpler for the customer. If I couldn't afford the price on the menu, I walked away... just as I would walk away from a restaurant here that I could not afford to include tips, lest I dare be called out for not paying a tip- this happened to DH's family when they purely forgot to pay for a tip!! The server yelled for them and called them back into the restaurant. They paid it but they never returned there after that.I'm actually starting to like Dunkin Donuts. I'm not a coffee drinker. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the tipping system.  It gives the waitstaff incentive to offer great service.  I think the ones that are bad at their job do get lower tips from customers.  After awhile, they realize that waiting tables is not for them and leave.  I like having the power to decide who gets the std 20% and who gets 10% or 15%.  I feel bad that some waitstaff get shafted by cheap people who always give bad tips no matter the quality of service.  I feel bad for customers who feel obligated to tip 20% no matter the quality of service.Over the last few months, I've noticed that restaurants have become tremendously understaffed.  Waiters are forced to juggle more tables and that will cause some mistakes/delays once in awhile. That's management's fault - hell, it's the economy's fault - not the fault of the waitstaff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards