Massachusetts-Boston
Options

dress shopping for the first time this weekend! advice?

I'm flying down to DC to go dress shopping with one of my best friends (on of my BMs) for the first time.What should I know? Should I bring a strapless bra to the actual appointments? And other underwear advice?If I find the perfect dress (I'm looking at some sample sales, so there is a chance I can bring home the dress this weekend), I am going to buy it in DC this weekend and then have it altered up here. However, I'm hoping to lose about 20 more pounds. Should I buy it in my current size, or a size smaller? Will it be too hard to alter it if I lose that much weight?Also, would it be better to just wait until January and buy a dress then when I will have a better idea of how much weight I lost? My wedding is in September, so I will have about eight months for shipping and alterations etc. if I buy in January.Sorry for all the questions, for some reason I am really really nervous about trying on dresses, more nervous than putting the deposit on the venue or anything else so far.

Re: dress shopping for the first time this weekend! advice?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would bring a strapless bra of some kind, some heels (not the ones your going to wear, just something to wear with it), and doll yourself up alittle bit.  Put some make-up on, it makes you feel so much sexier!!!  Wear undergarments you don't mind people seeing you in, because people will be helping you put them on and buttoning them, so I would suggest no thongs or anything like that. I would never buy a gown that is too small for me.  You hear stories that weight loss doesn't happen the way it was planned!  You also hear stories that people loss alot of weight and no longer like the gown after it has been altered to fit them, so it is tough!  If you go looking, you may find the one.  I would probably wait.  I would be scared I would find the one and then it not be the one 20 pounds later!
  • Options
    desistoldesistol member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bring: strapless bra and heels. Wear: full-butt underwear.When is your wedding?I bought my dress a year ago and my wedding is next month.  I have lost 10 lbs since buying the dress (I'm 5'2" so that's significant size difference for me).Here is the weird part- my dress still fits!  It laces up in the back so that is a huge part of it.  All I needed was for it to be shortened, bustle (of course), and in a little bit at the bust.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PP. Wear a strapless bra and break out the granny panties. I knew I was wearing flats for my wedding so I just tried the dresses on barefoot. They usually have shoes you can try the dress on with if you want to see how it would look height wise. I wouldn't buy a dress that is smaller. Like 90% of brides say they are going ot lose 20 lbs by the wedding and they usually do not. Buy something that accentuates your curves and flatter the body you have now. Try on different styles of dresses. I was positive I wanted a big poofy ball gown princessy dress and when I finally tried on something different, that was it...the one!
    Marieke & Michael 5.14.10 Loving life with our 2 boys Anthony (3.22.08) and Dominic (due 2.14.11)!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yup, definitely wear a strapless bra to the appointment.  Some shops provide them but if you have one, you might as well wear your own.  Same goes for shoes; if you have a pair of shoes in the height that you want, I'd just wear them in, too, but they may provide those, too.  Ditto pp regarding underwear - wear something u don't mind others seeing you in.  I wouldn't buy something that's smaller than your size now.  Even with all the planning to lose weight, etc., it's just safer to get a dress that you would be able to get into (for sample dresses).  It's easier to take it in than to let it out. As for the timing, I think if you do find something that you absolutely LOVE and you see yourself wearing it for on your wedding day, then I suppose it's no harm in getting it.  I, myself, would need to shop around a lot more and would never buy a dress the first time shopping for a dress, but I've seen brides who finds their dream dress the first time shopping.  You know yourself best, but you do have some time left to shop for dresses for your Sept. wedding.  Try on a lot of dresses before you decide on a dress!Have fun this weekend and GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs on the strapless bra and the granny pants. :o)20 pounds is approximately 2 dress sizes. Most dresses can be altered to 2 dress sizes down. I would talk to the store owner about how easy a seamstress could alter the dress down. Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards